1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Obama OK's U.N. proposal to ban export of guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hoosier Daddy, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Obama OK

Obama has OKed a proposal that was rejected by Pres. Bush to allow the ban of firearms exports from all countries in the U.N. It is the intent of the U.N. to eventually ban all firearms in the world. If this treaty is joined by the U.S. and inacted then all of our imported trap guns are in jeopardy. Here is the link.
    The Full Article Here: http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSTRE59E0Q920091015

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Startin' to sound like he's turning your country into THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF AMERICA....SCARY....

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

He needs a 2/3 vote by Congress to get that approved. Bulge.

4. pdq

pdq Member

Before you guys get your knickers in a twist, re-read the article. First, they aren't talking about trap guns, they are talking about arms sales -- you know jets, bombs and other things that go boom.

Oh -- and contrary to the statement above, it wouldn't ban all exports. As seen in the article, it's designed to regulate sales more closely to keep them off the black market and out of the hands of the bad guys -- you know -- those guys firing RPGs at our troops in Afganistan.

Second the US is saying that they want it to be on a consensus basis which is good if you don't like more regulation. Why? Because if 1 or more of the UN nations votes no, it's a dead deal. As it said in the article, last year China, Russia, and Isreal voted no.

Me -- I'm a firm believer that less government is good government, same way with regulations, and I do like the idea of starving Al Quida of arms. I think however this is a futile positioning act to give some bobbing heads in DC something to talk about. A lot of people will give speeches, then it'll die as it has in the past.

Just one guys opinion.

Pete

5. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Barelbulge

There is no such thing as 2/3 vote anymore.

Mark

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Mark, was it replaced with an Executive Order?? LOL

7. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Pete, it is the goal of the U.N. to end the private ownership of all guns. This is just a step toward that goal. And the ban on the exportation of arms does not say that any arms such as K guns or P guns are exempt. The article was not specific as to what arms exportation would be banned.

8. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

That 2/3 vote has been changed to "deemed it passed".

9. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

It has been a while since I read the UN document, but it was written in such a way that it covers all small arms. The libs and commies want you to believe that it is going to affect military weapons. It would do no good if it was focused on the middle east, Africa or much of Central/South America. They are awash in arms and do not follow formal end user documentation anyway. Russia, China and eastern Europe never play by the rules so who is left. USA and maybe a few western European countries. And of those who exports and imports most guns???

Read it closely and you will see that it is much, much broader than RPG's and AK's. It is aimed at disarming all but militaries.

Fascists and communists both know that an unarmed population is easy to control. Only the ignorant and malicious support this kind of rule. If you support it which are you???

10. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

I find that calling people names almost always sways them to support my opinions, don't you?

BTW why don't you post this stuff in the politics category where it belongs?

jim brown

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

Yes, indeed...jim brown doesn't like being forced to read threads he doesn't like.

12. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

My high school education gave me sense enough not to read shit I don't find interesting,,,,if it's gun related it belongs HERE!!!!!!

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Let's see what the NRA-ILA has to say about this, shall we?

The UN And International Treaties

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Over the last few weeks, we have received many inquiries regarding the UN and the impact of international treaties on our Second Amendment freedom.

The NRA has been engaged at the United Nations and elsewhere internationally in response to anti-small arms initiatives for over 14 years. In most cases, agendas for the elimination of private ownership of firearms are disguised as calls for international arms control to stem the flow of illicit military weapons. These instruments are generally promoted by a small group of nations and a large number of Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) working in conjunction with departmental bureaucracies in multi-national institutions such as the UN and European Union.

The new U.S. administration, to no one’s surprise, has changed direction in the UN with respect to international small arms control initiatives that were resisted by the previous administration.

The current issue under discussion, the Arms Trade Treaty (ATT), is in the early stages of the negotiation process. There is no actual draft text at this time. Work on the ATT is scheduled to continue by a consensus process between now and 2012. It should be noted that any treaty must be approved by two thirds of the U.S. Senate for ratification.

Attempts to thwart our freedoms should be no surprise, given the anti-gun climate of the international community in general, and the current U.S. administration in particular.

More generally, the NRA does not concern itself with foreign policy or arms control initiatives—except to the extent they would directly or indirectly affect Second Amendment rights.

We have been actively opposing transnational efforts that would limit Second Amendment freedoms. For many years, NRA has been monitoring and actively fighting any credible attempts on the part of the UN to restrict our sovereignty and gun rights. As a recognized Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) at the United Nations since 1997, NRA gives gun owners a strong voice in the UN’s debate over global “gun control.” As one of over 2,000 NGOs representing everyone from religious groups to the banking industry, NRA has access to UN meetings that are closed to the general public, and is able to distribute informational materials to participants in UN activities.

Most importantly, NRA’s status as an NGO allows us to monitor more closely the internal UN debate over firearm issues and report back to our members. The role NRA plays within the UN as an NGO is almost identical to the role our registered lobbyists play every day on Capitol Hill and in state capitals across the nation—educating and informing decision-makers of the facts behind the debate, and working to protect the interests of American gun owners and NRA members.

Due to our NGO status, NRA was able to take an active role in thwarting the absurdly titled “UN Conference to Review Progress Made in the Implementation of the Programme of Action to Prevent and Eradicate the Illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons in All Its Aspects” in 2006, and the previous meeting, the “UN Conference on the Illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons” in the summer of 2001.

The UN Small Arms Conference ended in deadlock with no formal conclusions or recommendations, due in large part to the NRA. In the final analysis, the complexity of the issue and the concerns of hunters, sport shooters and firearm owners world-wide prevailed. The failure of the program was total; no recommendations on ammunition, civilian possession or future UN meetings, or for that matter any other subjects, were adopted.

In addition to its UN activities, NRA is a founding member of the World Forum on the Future of Sport Shooting Activities (WFSA). The WFSA is an association of hunting, shooting, and industry organizations that was founded in 1996. The WFSA includes over 35 national and international organizations, and represents over 100 million sport shooters worldwide.

NRA members may rest assured that we are actively engaged in international matters. We have never hesitated, nor will we hesitate, to use the political and other resources available to us to resist any international agreement that could in any way affect our Second Amendment rights.

Copyright 2010, National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action.<br>
    This may be reproduced. It may not be reproduced for commercial purposes.<br>
    11250 Waples Mill Road, Fairfax, VA 22030 800-392-8683

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"My high school education gave me sense enough not to read shit I don't find interesting,,,,if it's gun related it belongs HERE!!!!!!"

Well remind me to make sure that none of my grandchildren attend that high school. BTW you are incorrect unless you shoot trap with a AK's or RPG's or maybe you just don't want to learn how to classify what you are posting.

Jim FWIW I agree with you it doesn't belong here no one should have to see political threads unless they choose to go looking for them.

BTW if you so called gentlemen don't like my opinion that is TS and that doesn't stand for trap shooters. Oh as the article says the NRA apposes it that is good enough for me.

Bob Lawless

15. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Bob Lawless GFY,,,

16. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

he's at it again,,,

17. ivanhoe

Very interesting you don't seem to be able to form words at all do you. OICU812 is that code for your IQ. BTW what does "GFY" mean would please explain it so everyone can understand it.

It really is nice the way you treat everyone else's opinion as Sh**(seeing how you like letter games)but your opinion of course is the only one that counts. All one has to do is read what you have to say and see how you treat people. You sure are special. A legend in your own mind.

Bob Lawless

18. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

If you would mind your own business and keep your nose where it don't belong maybe people would lighten up on you,,,Mr Know It All,,,,Bulge was right,,,geeezzz,are you a 85 year old woman or what????,,,,MYOFB,,,and if you don't know what GFY means then I can't help ya,,,,,,,

19. ivanhoe

"If you would mind your own business and keep your nose where it don't belong maybe people would lighten up on you"

Thats good advice that you don't seem to follow. If everyone gave their opinion the same way you want me to there would be no one posting on this sight.

The object of this site is the OP gives his thoughts on a subject and other contributer give theirs. You on the other hand have given nothing but criticism of some of the others that have posted here.

So maybe you're the one that should keep his nose out of the thread if that is the best you have to offer.

Yes genius I do know what GFY and MYOFB mean and in both of them you are using the F in place of the F word. You aren't kidding anyone every 12 year child that reads these threads knows also. Not to mention the ladies. So I guess that just makes you a fowl mouthed Jerk that needs to clean up his act. You and that other fowl mouthed person GW22, the engineer that doesn't understand how engineers get a bad name.

BTW if you are going to try to insult me don't use someone else's pictures try to get some material of your own. Moron!!!!!!!

Bob Lawless

20. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.