1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Obama makes his move to ban guns, ammo

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Brian in Oregon, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Again, where are the liberal shills who pounded this website declaring Obama was a genuine believer in Second Amendment rights and would never ban guns?<br>
    <br>
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=6960824&page=1<br>
    <br>
    Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban<br>
    Attorney General Says White House Also Looking at Ban on 'Cop-Killer' Bullets<br>
    By JASON RYAN<br>
    WASHINGTON, Feb. 25, 2009<br>
    <br>
    The Obama administration will seek to reinstate the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 during the Bush administration, Attorney General Eric Holder said today.<br>
    <br>
    "As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons," Holder told reporters.<br>
    <br>
    Holder said that putting the ban back in place would not only be a positive move by the United States, it would help cut down on the flow of guns going across the border into Mexico, which is struggling with heavy violence among drug cartels along the border.<br>
    <br>
    "I think that will have a positive impact in Mexico, at a minimum." Holder said at a news conference on the arrest of more than 700 people in a drug enforcement crackdown on Mexican drug cartels operating in the U.S.<br>
    <br>
    Mexican government officials have complained that the availability of sophisticated guns from the United States have emboldened drug traffickers to fight over access routes into the U.S.<br>
    <br>
    A State Department travel warning issued Feb. 20, 2009, reflected government concerns about the violence.<br>
    <br>
    "Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades," the warning said. "Large firefights have taken place in many towns and cities across Mexico, but most recently in northern Mexico, including Tijuana, Chihuahua City and Ciudad Juarez."<br>
    <br>
    At the news conference today, Holder described his discussions with his Mexican counterpart about the recent spike in violence.<br>
    <br>
    "I met yesterday with Attorney General Medina Mora of Mexico, and we discussed the unprecedented levels of violence his country is facing because of their enforcement efforts," he said.<br>
    <br>
    Holder declined to offer any time frame for the reimplementation of the assault weapons ban, however.<br>
    <br>
    "It's something, as I said, that the president talked about during the campaign," he said. "There are obviously a number of things that are -- that have been taking up a substantial amount of his time, and so, I'm not sure exactly what the sequencing will be."<br>
    <br>
    In a brief interview with ABC News, Wayne LaPierre, president of the National Rifle Association, said, "I think there are a lot of Democrats on Capitol Hill cringing at Eric Holder's comments right now."<br>
    <br>
    During his confirmation hearing, Holder told the Senate Judiciary Committee about other gun control measures the Obama administration may consider.<br>
    <br>
    "I think closing the gun show loophole, the banning of cop-killer bullets and I also think that making the assault weapons ban permanent, would be something that would be permitted under Heller," Holder said, referring to the Supreme Court ruling in Washington, D.C. v. Heller, which asserted the Second Amendment as an individual's right to own a weapon.<br>
    <br>
    The Assault Weapons Ban signed into law by President Clinton in 1994 banned 19 types of semi-automatic military-style guns and ammunition clips with more than 10 rounds.<br>
    <br>
    "A semi-automatic is a quintessential self-defense firearm owned by American citizens in this country," LaPierre said. "I think it is clearly covered under Heller and it's clearly, I think, protected by the Constitution."

2. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

We predicted it. Just a little over a month after inauguration. Well, how about it, flincher? Care to defend your boy and his gun hating cohorts?

3. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Automatic weapons and grenades. I don't think I can buy those legally now. Left-wing government logic. They aren't happy unless they are taking away someone's freedom.

4. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Since when would a ban of "assault weapons" stop the flow of guns into Mexico?? I believe that it is already to traffic guns across the border?

"Cop killer bullets",,,,love that description,,,,hope the "hunters" are happy now when they voted for hussein as almost every hunting rifle caliber will penetrate a vest and thus is a "cop killer bullet"!!!!!!!!!!!

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

As stated during the campaign, any true gun owner that voted for this guy was a fool. This is just the camel's nose under the tent.

6. stims

stims TS Member

What do we do? I don't want to sit here and do nothing, I can write my senator But he's one of the idiots that voted for the stimulas ARLEN SPECTOR his office never returned my calls or email. We can't wait for 2012 by then we will be calling each "comrad" I hear alot of talk radio and people complaining that this ans that is or is going to happen, but I have yet heard anyone with any solutions!

7. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Since when are we the Mexican police? Take the army and blast the compounds of the cartels. Napalm them for all I care. It's time to take care of our own country and this is just the beginning. Has anyone tried to fine handgun ammo lately? Getting scarce.

Jerbear

8. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Writing your Representative and Senators and supporting the NRA are things that we can do to get our message out there. Even if your Representative and Senators are liberals who support gun bans they need to hear from you. If we don't let them how we feel about it they will think there is no opposition because they will certainly hear from the other side.

9. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Jerbear,,,,went to Wal-Mart and Academy and neither had any target 9mm. Had to go to Gander Mountain and they had 2,000 rounds,,,,I bought 1,000 of it.

10. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

These fools in the government that let all the Mexicans in for cheap labor and new liberal voters and to "brown up" America are now scared of the drug wars in Mexico breaking out in our cities. So what is their solution, take away our freedom. We have lost control of our government. We are being run by fools.

11. clayshooter555

clayshooter555 TS Member

If you are really mad then SEND A CHECK TO THE NRA!!! Renew your membership out for 10 years or more. Money talks! BS walks! And they/we have one hell of a fight on our hands.

Then you can start using the NRA website to email all your congressional morons every single day about your Second Amendment rights. It's called tonnage.

Just set each congresman's email webpage up on your favorite's list and get it done. Only takes a few minutes each day and there is always something else to mention along with your Second Amendment rights. At least it makes me feel like I am doing something.

12. clayshooter555

clayshooter555 TS Member

And just for the sake of an example here is today's shortr and sweet email that I sent to my misguided representives:

Please STOP!!

This Congress is becoming an insult to the Constitution of the United States.

Stop attacking the First Amendment with the "fairness" doctrine. That's nothing but censorshop.

Stop attacking the Second Amendment. I want MY Second Amendment rights protected.

Stop attempting to rewrite the Constitution by legislating that DC can have a Congressional representative.

And while you are at it how about STARTING to do what you say about the budget and stimulus and eliminating all those earmarks I am reading about.

13. RAScott

RAScott Member

Stims, hopefully after 2 years of hussien's crap, we can retake the house and the senate, slow down the bleeding and hopfully start the impeachment proceedings.
    Bob S

14. Jimmy E

Jimmy E TS Member

As a Canadian gun owner and shooter I truly feel sorry for U.S. gun owners. It looks like you're getting the same treatment we've had here for years now. For some reason people seem to care more about what's going on in other country's than in their own backyards. Since when is a Mexican drug war an American problem? Who gives a s#!t about what goes on in Mexico? I sure don't! Although it sure makes for some "shocking/breaking news!" Good luck to all of you and don't let them cram this b.s. down your throats without a good fight. It looks like you're in for a real s#!tstorm/browning for the next four years!
    Jimmy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

move to ban guns obama