1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Obama freeze federal pay but not congress

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by smsnyder, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

A freeze on federal employees but not congress. Cost of living to congress but not people on social security and veterans. Something wrong with that picture.

2. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

All gov employs will get their step raises. Obama froze cost of live raise

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

So far its just a proposal. Congress has to approve it first. Personaly I think they all should get pay cuts and time off with no pay like the rest of us.

Of course Democrat Majority leader Steny Hoyer wants to include all military personnel except those serving in harms way.

4. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I think every congress and senate person's should be made to work with NO pay until they fix the problem they created!! ALL former senators and congress people should lose their pensions and health care until those in office correct the problem they created!

And they can not leave DC until it done!!

We all have to live within our means, They are no different! except they are using(blowing away) OUR money!!

5. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Freezing pay is not the answer. Most if not all those agencies are top heavy with too many supervisors, administrators and coordinators all drawing large salaries. The empire building of the last 20 to 30 years has left the agencies with tremendous number employees in the higher grades and few to do the real work to accomplish the stated mission of the agency. That is the reason the average salary of government workers is $70,000+ while in the private sector it is $40,000 or so. What really needs to be done is to eliminate at least 50% of the administrative positions. I am familiar with one agency that in one office in 1973 had 5 supervisors and 3 or 4 other administrative positions and now has 27 supervisors and approximately 10 other administrative positions for a staff that has ranged from 170 to 215 employees total.

6. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

this affects the cost of living increase....however a lot of the fed workers are on the GS/GG scale and they will get their periodic step increase no matter what. So really, this does little to put a dent in spending,.....just politicking by Obama to get the public off his back.....

I have been with a DoD agency for over 4 years now....it's heavy with management in the higher salary bands, however their couterparts in the defense contracting industry (e.g. Lockheed, Boeing, etc.) get paid more with similar competitive benefits. I know a good portion of feds who jump ship back and forth to being a govie and a contractor just to stay ahead of the salary game and get compensated what they think they are worth. I don't fault them, that's the American way, being a capitalist and making the most money you can before deciding to retire. I don't expect a 20 year career retired F-16 fighter pilot to work for peanuts as a govie.......

interesting to note is that the postal workers do not get a freeze as well as congress staff, in addition to federal judges and court workers.

I say be more aggressive with these contracting companies charging the gov't $5000 for a box of nails and getting away with it. Cheney's buddies in Haliburton made out like fat cats on Iraq with constant cost overuns on a lot of reconstruction projects.

7. Whortle

Whortle Member

likes-to-shoot wrote:

"Of course Democrat Majority leader Steny Hoyer wants to include all military personnel except those serving in harms way."

I thought he was elected House Minority Whip not Majority leader, doesn't Palosi still occupy that seat?

You never know anymore, I'm probably wrong.

Larry

8. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Thats the first thing I said to my wife when I heard this BULL...What about Congress.

9. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

For one lousy year they don't get pay raises. Oh they are really giving in.

10. crusha

crusha TS Member

Most of those Federal jobs should be privatized anyway. It would be the easiest way to cut costs, and private industry does a better job anyway. Every gubmint shop that has ever been privatized has saved the taxpayer money, and usually done a higher quality job with people who actually understand the finances of running a business, instead of just finding ways to get themselves better hooked into the government teat.

A buddy of mine works for a place that makes hardware for the military. They have some government inspector there who comes in to watch them test stuff, and he says half the time he just picks his nose and stamps their papers without doing anything, and in fact gets pissed if they ask him to do anything and won't do anything unless they tell him 48 hours ahead of time, etc. There's a good use of taxpayer money; I sleep better knowing I'm paying for that.

Cut federal employees 10% now. Let them figure out amongst themselves who to get rid of, based on affirmative action, seniority, or however they want to do it. Let them experience 10% unemployment, just like everybody else in society.

11. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

If you want to cut 10% make sure its from the very TOP! its the bottom people who do 90% of the real work and get payed less then the private sector!

I know first hand, my wife has been a fed employee most of her adult life, makes less then $30,000 Still! and will never see much more. WHY?

Because she doesn't have a diploma, but she is smarter then the ones who do and they make 5 times more then she makes!

If your going to fix something, do it right, get all the facts first.

12. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

sernv99 : Even more interesting, to note that you have no clue about which you type................

I AM a postal worker, and although cost-of-living raises were a part of the 5-year contract signed in 2006, we have had them frozen by the OBAMA administration for the past TWO years, already.

And if y'all really must know, that contract called for a 7.1 % pay increase ; spread over the 5-year duration of the agreement. By my math, that boils down to about 1.42 % per year........

A real "sweetheart" of a deal, wasn't it?

I have no problem with those who have a case of the A$$ for the Postal Service (for WHATEVER reason). We all need something to complain about. I would only ask that you present FACTUAL information, as opposed to spouting out of yours...........

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Congress, not the President, sets the salary for Congress. That is a convenient arrangement.

If I want a pay raise next year, all I have to do is figure out how to make my business increase revenue or decrease expenses or both.

Pat Ireland

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

ou.3200 has it. Any private comany that top heavy would have failed years ago.

I have seen kingdom building make big problems for some otherwise very good companies.

HM

15. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

K80: ya better read up buddy boy....this latest freeze will NOT affect postal workers!! You better start getting your facts straight.....

16. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Whortle.........Your guess is as good as mine. All I did is quote from the beginning of the 8th paragraph in the article I posted on the website URL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.