1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oakleys,Wads,and Chokes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by djpk69, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I've been giving Oakley's a try, as that's what my club shoots on Thurs. nights.There's usualy 14 to 20 guys lined up on the 30 yd. line, then a shoot-off when down to the last 2 or 3 (from 50 yds).By mistake,I put a Mod. choke in,instead of my Light Full (comp n' choke). I won one shoot-off and discovered my choke afterwards.Now I'm wondering if chokes mean that much? One guy poined out that with "modern" wads,they don't, as all the shot leaves the barrel in the wad cup.I also remember seeing a post here with a slow-mo photo of the shot in the wad moments after leaving the barrel. Any thoughts on this???

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

dkusner,

I shoot quite few annies and have always used a IM choke. My gun now has a fixed choke (.035) and it took some getting used to. I break just as many targets with either one from long range. One of the guys that I shoot with uses a Mod. choke in his KS-5. It measures .019 restriction and he breaks his fair share of long targets as well. I believe that if you are on target, you'll break the bird!

Now on the other hand, I wouldn't use 7 1/2's downrange with an open choke. You need the density on smaller shot to break the target downrange.

I'm not a big shell shooter. I use 3dr 1 1/8 oz shells on my call birds. I use a 1 1/8 oz of 6's going 1330fps for the rest of my shots.

As far as Comp-N-Choke's, I believe that they make the best choke tube for the money.

ec90t

3. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I also believe in Comp-N-Chokes, but still wonder about "tightness"???

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

dkusner,

Most trapshooters over choke their guns. I'm not saying that a smokeball isn't a pretty site, but the object is to break the target. I would like to pattern a gun with a few different chokes at 60 yds and see exactly how much of a difference it really makes. I'd bet at that distance there wouldn't be an appreciable difference in pattern density using #6 shot. I do believe that you would see a difference if you used 7 1/2's.

And a little more food for thought. Comp-N-Choke's are designed to strip the wad clean of the shot before it leaves the barrel. This inturns allows the shot only to be constricted. Thus eliminating the wad from the equasion. A buddy of mine, who is one hell of a shooter, used my old IM C-N-C in his Browning tonight and was breaking third and fourth shot hard. This same choke was all but inkspotting call birds.

Continue to find out what works for you. What works for one, won't always work for another. I've always been a bit of a loose choke shooter anyhow. I guess it comes from a lot of time spent on the sporting clays course. You wouldn't believe how far away you can break a target with 1 oz of 8's and a LM choke.

ec90t

5. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

ec90t, I could not disagree with you more. I am in my 14th year of ATA shooting, and used to think the same way you do. The right choke for the right job. Well after getting barrel work done this year on the same gun I have been shooting for 14 years..........all I can say is, that .035 choke in there is the only thing I would shoot at 16yd......also annie's

GS

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Midalake,

The best pattering gun that I ever owned was a 90T HPAR. Sometime in its life it had been sent to Kolar for choke tubes. The three that came with the gun were .018,.028, and .036 respectively. The best patterning choke of the three was the .028. This was on a .736 backbore barrel. The .018 choke was a little light if you shot 1 oz loads. The .036 was so tight that it caused a bit of turbulance in the pattern and opened up a few holes in it. The .028 gave a very uniform pattern and would absolutly crush targets from anywhere.

With that being said, I have shot a couple of guns that had some of Tom Wilkinson's handywork done to the barrels. They where all choked between .032 to .035 and would absolutly destroy a target no matter what shell you put through it.

It still comes down to personal taste. What works for one, won't always work for another. I do, however, pay a lot of attention to guns that break targets well. You'd be surprised sometimes at you find!

ec90t

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

ec90t, I've just started noticing that the letters HPAR often appear after 90T here on TS.com. If you don't mind me asking - what's it mean?

Neil

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Neil,

High Post Adjustable Rib. I guess it's just a simplified way of stating the adjustable rib model.

ec90t

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Thanks, I doubt I'd ever have stumbled on that that, ec90t.

Neil

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

No problem Neil!

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.