1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oakley's Green Dot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by djpk69, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I shoot Oakley's once a week and some of the guys say try 22grains Green Dot/Federal hull/Fed. primer /and Windjammer in 1 1/4 oz. These are not listed but they say they are/were in older manuals? We shoot 30 yds...non ATA and shoot-off at ??? 50 yds.

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Maybe for 1 1/8 oz of shot, but with 1 1/4oz, I'd be real careful. Why not get in touch with Alliant Powder and ask. A more appropriate powder might be Unique or Herco for the 1 1/4oz. There may very well be a reason they don't list those loads for Green Dot anymore. Personally, I wouldn't try it. There are more appropriate powders that actually HAVE data listed for them with 1 1/4oz of shot.

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

When you state a Federal hull, specify which one. Alot of psi's for Gold Medal but in a field hull with rolled paper base wad you would be OK but verify with Alliant before doing so unless you have a manual.

4. deking00

deking00 Member

In The Handbook of Shotshell Reloading Copyright 1984 it lists a 1 1/4 load with the following components:

Fed. Paper Hull, CCI209M Primer, 23 gr Green Dot, Fed. 12S4 wad, 1220 fps

Fed. Paper Hull, Fed 209 Primer, 23 gr Green Dot, Fed. 12S4 wad, 1220 fps

Fed. Hi-Power Hull, Fed 209 Primer, 23 gr Green Dot, Win WAA12F114 wad, 1220 fps

My Lyman Shotshell Handbook 2nd Edition did not list Green Dot with 1 1/4 loads.

Alliants web site still lists loads for both of these Hulls in 1 1/4.

5. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

The guy who told me this recipe (and let me shoot 3 of them...broke each bird), gave me a bag of once fired Federal "Top Gun" hulls.He uses a MEC,but I'm having trouble with them on my MEC 650.Seems half the hulls "buckle". I even switched to my old stadby Lee loader, and I have to carefully put the final crimp on....4 pumping till I get a "closed" crimp. I never have this problem with Remington hulls, but then maybe there's too much powder/shot ?
    Will talk to him this Thurs...but seems too much hastle. I do like the idea of Green Dot though.......as everyone seems to comment on how great it patterns.This "guy" wins his share of Oakley's too !

6. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

P.S. ..I have tried PB,Longshot,and WSH, and 800X in 1 1/4 loads but like his recipe.Think I'll talk to Alliant about using a Remington hull.

7. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

dkusner, if you use a remington hull it changes everything.
    Don

8. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Check out Longshot..good for hi-velocity-heavy's If it doesn't do anything else, the noise will keep the boys from crowding you on the line.

Big Jack

9. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

That's what I used to use for late season pheasents with #5 copper. First shot of doubles? Sounds like and smells like fish bait. BEN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.