1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oakley glasses-Which frame and lense combo ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DOWN UNDER HUNTER, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DOWN UNDER HUNTER

DOWN UNDER HUNTER TS Member

CAn anyone using Oakley glasses give their suggestions on frame style and lense combos for a 3-4 lense set aimed at highlighting orange targets. Something like a 25, 40 and 65 % all outdoor sporting clays in trees and Trap with generally good clear backgrounds

M frames seem the obvious ones but I want a set that I can put blinkers on too. Not sure with the M's.

Any ideas ?

Cheers

DUH

2. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

G30 is what I use. I brother likes the slightly lighter G40 Every now and then I breakout the Persimmon on REALLY dark days. I have tried a couple of other tints and these two are all I want anymore. Radar Range frame.

Good description of each color:
    http://www.o-review.com/lens.asp

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Go buy Decots

4. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Decots were as good as it got 20 years ago....now are dinosaurs that have been surpassed by most every manufacturer.

5. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

I am a dinosaur and I have Decot so I guess I got the correct glasses !

ernie

6. WWB

WWB Member

I have the Radar frames with the two shooting lenses that they recommended...one kinda pink and one almost like a HD lense.....they are great, especially in the wind cause they wrap around. I also use them for driving.
    Willie

7. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Willie...that be G30 (all the G series have a slight rose tint) and Persimmon (orangeish). Many shooters like the VR series, they are bronze.

8. Sparky30-06

Sparky30-06 TS Member

I have M frames with clear, high intensity yellow and persimmons lenses. I have used both strike and heater size lenses.
    I like the way the lenses curve around and not allow unfiltered light in.

9. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

G26 on bright days,high intesity blue for dark days.Jerry

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Mark425: Considering the fact that most trap shooters average about 60+ years old, we're just not "Hip" any longer. Now, take a look around any big trap shoot and you will see the people that wear anything but Decot's are the "Hip" Mush Heads. They will see the light in time.........

11. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

shot410ga,

I am not talking about how they LOOK. I am saying Decots do not offer much in the way of coating/treatment that reflect or filter specific wave links or enhance other wave links. Ranger, Hi-Def, Oakley’s and several others do. The wrap shape is not to look cool...it’s to block out stray light that reflects off the inner surfaces or enters your eyes from the side as well as protect you from wind and debris. Decots lenses don’t offer much (none) in the way of eye protection from shot, clay chips or whatever. That’s a fact that is well documented here, other forums and as well as from its competitors. Oakley's and the others I mentioned offer ballistic protection, light and UV protection. Decots rely on plain old colored dyes and that’s it. They are FAR from the worse but like I said...they are way way behind the curve. All that said...glad some people still like them...I have a drawer full of Decots I plan to unload here.

Mark

p.s. however...we are in agreement...Decots will never win any fashion awards :)

p.s.

12. DOWN UNDER HUNTER

DOWN UNDER HUNTER TS Member

I've bitten the bullet today and gone with the Hidefspex Panther kit. I saw the targets through the max orange lenses and FARK me ! Bright ! The fluro targets looked as big as trash can lids and bright like neon beacons. Hope they justify the price.

Thanks all for your assistance. Never used glasses before but after looking through the hidef set was kind of like using polaroid glasses stalking trout for the first time... There they are !!

DUH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

oakley g30 or g40 for trap shooting