1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oakland County Sportsman's Club - SE Michigan

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SevenMaryThree, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Oakland County Sportsman

Tonight several acquaintances and myself were "kicked out" of Oakland County Sportsman's Club. I wish to convey our experience to you so that you might save yourself the trouble of affording this club a visit.

Our normal Sporting Clays league is off this week, so myself and several gentlemen chose to shoot at a neighboring club - Oakland County Sportsman's Club - http://www.ocsc-mi.org/shotgun/index.php . The sleeveless Harley fan (shotgun club president?) running the desk had obviously been drinking. No biggie...we didn't see him handle any guns. But his Remington was in the rack???

From the OCSC website - "When you're ready to take a break, step into our large clubhouse and take a rest. We have a grill available to cook burgers, hotdogs and chicken breasts that we have at the club. You can also feel free to bring your own if you'd like."

We shot several rounds of Five Stand and Tower Trap. After we finished shooting (we spent about $78 in range fees and tipped another $12 in one hour's time) we took them up on their tail-gating policy. We cooked brats on the tail gates of our trucks and had a couple of beers.

After about an hour and a half, a very short man and a taller one made a bee line out to where we were. Immediately the short fellow started in "You can't do that here! And you can't do that here, either!" as he pointed at the bratwurst and the beer.

Whoa....Zero to A$$hole in 0.06 seconds.

Now I shoot with older gentlemen, so I took point. I told him that we wanted no problems. I told him we would clean up and leave...and we not come back. At that point he became belligerent and starting pointing his finger. I honestly think this little man wanted to box me.

I told him that his website informed visitors that tail-gating was welcomed. He told me that he was the guy who "put the stuff on the website" and that I was wrong. I refer you to the link I have provided above....it's pretty clear.

Now, this whole thing could have been handled very differently. "Hi, my name is xxxxx....how are you guys doing tonight? Did you enjoy the 5-Stand? We'd like you guys to feel welcome, and maybe you can come in and check out our bar...but our liquor license doesn't allow open containers outside the bar." That would have been reasonable. What this runt and his back up muscle did was entirely juvenile and completely uncalled for.

I belong to three other local gun clubs and shoot at every Sporting Clays course within 350 miles. I hunt around the country and internationally. I shoot 1,000 - 1,200 targets per month. I will never spend another dime at Oakland County Sportsman's Club, and I am confident that my companions won't, either. I will capitalize upon every opportunity to share my experience with others who may consider patronizing this organization.

Sincerest regards,

Paul Sherman

2. mobear

mobear Member

Paul,

I went to the link you provided in your post, and made it easier for other to do so above.

I must disagree with your thinking that they allow tailgaiting from what the website says, it says they have a kitchen that has food, or you may bring your own, and since it has a full service bar, it should be pretty clear that you cant drink your own on their property.

While the man at the club in question did not act in a very good manner, I belive that you guys were wrong in what you did, but he could have told you about it in a more polite manner.

Dan Mohler

3. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Dan, I thought the invite to "bring your own" was fairly well articulated on their website and was a primary factor in selecting the club for tonight's shoot.

Perhaps I owe a mea culpa for misunderstanding the policy they publish on their website, but the manner in which we were addressed was completely unacceptable.

Our home club has a full service bar and kitchen on the property. We bring our own to self serve after league functions on club property. This is not out of the ordinary for us.

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree with Dan. You misread the site regarding food and booze. But, they handled the situation like a bunch of jerks.

5. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Are you guys reading the same thing I am??? To wit -

"When you're ready to take a break, step into our large clubhouse and take a rest. We have a grill available to cook burgers, hotdogs and chicken breasts that we have at the club. You can also feel free to bring your own if you'd like."

That last sentence...I'm trying real hard to interpret it another way....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.