1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/U won't open

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1903, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1903

1903 Member

Question... I have a beretta silver snipe 12 guage that sometimes won't open after I fire a shot. This happens once every 20 shots or so. The lever can be pushed all the way to the right, with no extra force. If you try to break the gun open over your knee, it will open if you use enough force. On the next shot, it will work fine. Anyone else have this happen?? Thanks.. John....

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

You may have a firing pin stuck in a primer ?? Look at the next hull that sticks . Some have a firing pin return spring and yours may be broken . You did,t say if it only happens on one barrel or not .

3. 1903

1903 Member

It seems like it only happens when I shoot doubles. When I shoot singles, I use the bottom barrel. Could be something with the top? This is on factory shells of different brands. 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz.

4. spritc

spritc Active Member

Do as Alf suggests, replace your top firing pin spring and see if this solves the problem.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Remove the top barrel firing pin and clean and deburr it. Replace the firing pin return spring if broken or weak. Lube with a fine oil with teflon. HMB

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Sure sounds like the top barrel firing pin is not fully retracting. Could be a spring problem or something with the primers.

Pat Ireland

7. 1903

1903 Member

HI.. Thanks for all the tips. I checked the movement of the firing pins and they seem fine. I pushed the top one in about 100 times with no galling or hang-ups. I sprayed some Break-Free oil around the pins from the breech side with no noticeable difference. Everything seems fine. The pins seem easy to get to, only a staked in wedge holds them in place. I'm not gonna mess with that. Then next time it hangs up, I will take the stock off and see if I can find out what is going on in the firing pin area. John....

8. 1903

1903 Member

HI.. Thanks for all the tips. I checked the movement of the firing pins and they seem fine. I pushed the top one in about 100 times with no galling or hang-ups. I sprayed some Break-Free oil around the pins from the breech side with no noticeable difference. Everything seems fine. The pins seem easy to get to, only a staked in wedge holds them in place. I'm not gonna mess with that. Then next time it hangs up, I will take the stock off and see if I can find out what is going on in the firing pin area. John....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta ou wont open

beretta ou wont open after firing
beretta silver snipe wont open
beretta snipe 12 guage