1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/U vs. Combo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FNG, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FNG

FNG Member

In dreaming about a new trap gun, the following questions occurred to me:
    1. What's the big advantage to a combo set ? Why wouldn't a person just get an O/U and shoot all three events with the same gun ? ; same weight, balance, sight picture, etc. and shooting the under barrel for singles and handicap would have the same recoil dampening effect as an un-single, and it would save money.

2. Unless a person was having some sort of difficulty shooting a top single
    (I don't know what that might be), why would he go to an un-single ? The only benefit I've heard is reduced felt recoil.
    Thanks for your opinions.

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

http://www.trapshooters2.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=195830

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

A great many people do as you suggest and quite a few of them are very fine shooters. See the thread vpr80 offered you......Bob Dodd

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

One O/U with 30" or 32" barrels is all a person NEEDS for every clay discipline. It's what a person THINKS HE NEEDS or WANTS that causes problems. I have no problem with an un-single combo, especially an SKB 85TSS, and using the single barrel for Handicap events. GREAT gun for the money with a super repair policy; although I've never had to have my SKBs fixed!

AndyH ;-)

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

This is all pretty subjective stuff but what I like about the single barrel has to do with handling ... they just plain feel better. But of course the O/U tube set will do anything you need to do on the trap range. Try one, you will like it.

Unsingles are popular for similar reasons, mostly subjective. For some reason the unsingles cost more than their top single counterparts, that could be just an availability factor.

6. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

An over/under will work fine for all phases of trap. However, many shooters have found that a longer, single barrel helps them significantly in trap singles, providing a better (perceived at least) movement to the target. Obviously, however, a single barrel is obviously not much use at doubles, so shotgun makers came with up with the combo sets. Most of these combos try hard to give both the o/u barrels and the single barrel similar weights and using the same buttstock/receiver, all stock dimensions and settings can be identical. Its just that the single barrel, for many, feels more stable and a steadier platform, while the o/u barrels allow for more "swing" needed for fast response to the second target in doubles. Combos come with upper singles, bottom singles, and a few with "mid" single barrel, so you really have a choice. It is, in the end, a matter of personal preference.

Jim R

7. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Basically from my previous thread, there is not a HUGE benefit of having the extra Unsingle barrel. It's nice in the wind and the extra 2" of sight radius, but that's pretty much it. If $$$ is a concern (which does not seem like it is on this forum), then just get a nice U/O and add the second barrel later on if you want. At least that's what I am planning on doing. 32" K80 Trap Special Pro Rib here I come :)

8. markc2

markc2 Member

One option that an unsingle barrel gives you is adjustability. Most (not all) unsingle barrels are equipped with an adjustable rib. This allows you to move the point of impact of your pattern to your preference. Some folks like a flatter shooting gun, and some folks like a gun to shoot 100% high. The adjustable rib allows you to choose your point of impact, no matter what the yardage. Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.