1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/U Trap Gun POI

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ckc, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ckc

ckc TS Member

The lower barrel of my new Beretta 682 trap gun shoots 3 inches high (30 yards) and the upper barrel shoots 5 inches high (same distance). I used IM chokes and got 20-inch circles instead of 30-inch circles as used by most people. I have several questions:
    1) My understanding is the lower barrel is supposed to shoot higher than the upper barrel, not the other way around. Is it true? If so, should I take it to Beretta for them to fix it?
    2) 3 inch high for a 30-inch circle is a 60/40 pattern. Mathematically 3 inch high for a 20 inch circle is 65/35. My question is will the point of impact change as I use more open chokes. Let's say I use an IC choke and make a 30 inch circle. Would my lower barrel still shoots 3 inch high in this 30 inch circle. Or would it shoot 4.5 inch high based on the calculation of 65/35 pattern.
    3) Can I use this gun for bunker trap? My understanding is bunker trap guns usually shoot very flat (50/50 for both barrels).
    4) My last question is the color of bead to use. I am used to red bead front sight. Some people use green. Are there reasons that I should use green instead of red?

Thanks.

CK

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

1 - Yes

2 - Maybe

3 - Yes, but your scores will be very low. You need a flat shooting gun.

4 - Yes, if your scores are higher with green use green. HMB

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

ck, forget the percentages. 3" high at 30 yards is all anyone needs to know to understand where your gun shoots.

Like Goose2 says, it may be your choke tubes. My Gold E combo came with six Optima tubes. I was having problems consistently hitting targets, so I went to the range to find out why. I set up on a bench a shot at a grease plate 20 yards away. I started with the single barrel and the F choke (the only one I could hit consistently with). After 1/2 dozen shots I knew that choke printed 5" high at 20 yards, and was centered left to right. Then I went through each of the other chokes. Turns out, only the F and one of the IM chokes shot to the same place.

When I was done with the single barrel I started on the O/U, using only the F choke tube, because I knew it was good. The U barrel printed 4" high at 20 yards, and the T barrel printed just under 2" high. Both were centered right to left.

I ordered M, IM and LF chokes from Briley. They also shot true, so I ended up with 5 chokes that all shot to the same POI in each barrel.

After you've done this bench testing and know what you are dealing with, you can decide how you want to approach any problem. I loved my Superposed, but it shot just like you describe yours. The U barrel was dead on at 25 yards, but the O barrel shot about 5" high. That was bad and I eventually sold the gun.

I know a lot of shooters say the U barrel should shoot higher. It messes me up, and I sold my Gold E combo for just that reason. All of the barrels of my current combo shoot to exactly the same POI, and I'm quite happy with it that way. If your gun turn out to have the O and U barrels shooting to different POIs with known good chokes and you want to remedy that situation, send the barrels to Briley and tell them to make eccentric chokes for them.

Good luck. I hope you can solve your problem with simple store bought chokes.

4. ckc

ckc TS Member

Thanks all. This is very helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.