1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/U shotgun question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by glenns, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenns

glenns Member

I'm taking my first over/under shotgun to the trap field tomorrow. I bought it from a club member last Saturday. I didn't get to ask him:

1. Which barrel do people use to shoot singles? Is it a rule that you use either the over or the under?

2. According to the previous owner the gun has not been shot. Do I need to do any thing special to break it in? (I have cleaned it and oiled it).

The gun is a Browning Citori Special Sporting Clays, 12 GA, 28"

Thanks,
    Glenn

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Shoot both and get a feel as to which barrel hits the target best. Make sure your pre-shot routine is the same every time for both barrels. I assume since it's a sporting clays gun that both barrels use choke tubes. When you find the barrel that shoots singles best, put the improved modified choke tube there and break as many targets as you can. Much luck. Barry

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Use one bbl for one round, and the other for the next and see which the gun likes to shoot better.

Are you using your new home-rolled bullets? And no more primer-punched fingers?

Bob

4. glenns

glenns Member

Bob - I'm still reloading and have not 'punched' my finger in a while. :) (hope I didn't jinx myself)

Does the 'under' barrel shoot lower than the 'over' barrel? I won't get to pattern the gun until Saturday.

Glenn

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

<i>Does the 'under' barrel shoot lower than the 'over' barrel? I won't get to pattern the gun until Saturday. </i>

On a SC gun, it shouldn't, but you won't know until you pattern it. Mostly, they're set up to overprint at 37-ish yards.

Usually SC guns shoot pretty flat, so if you 'float' the bird, you'll be missing low. Cover & kill and keep the gun moving.

Bob

6. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Hi,I think most people shoot the bottom barrel first for doubles and use the only the bottom barrel for singles.I was told years ago that that using the bottom barrel is supposed to give less perceived recoil since it is closer to the hands and more in a straight line to the shoulder.I have an older Citori with fixed chokes that the bottom barrel is improved modified and the top is full so it was made for using the bottom barrel first.Regards.

7. glenns

glenns Member

Bob -

"Mostly, they're set up to overprint at 37-ish yards."

What is overprint?

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I think goat meant "Intersect"?! And as wile was saying, the lower barrel typically has less perceived recoil, but... to each their own.

One thing I will say... pattern and test the gun for POI. Stick with one barrel for singles.

regards to all,

Jay

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

<i>What is overprint? </i>

Shoot to the same point of aim ... intersect.

By the nature of building and regulating either SxS or O/U, the barrels will shoot EITHER parallel to infinity, OR their patterns will intersect/overprint at some specific yardage.

To see what the POI for each bbl is, and to see how 'flat' (or not) the gun shoots, one shot from each barrel, rifle-shooting a dot 13yds from a rest, will be of more use than 10 40yd patterns.

USUALLY SC guns shoot pretty flat and at the same POI.

That 525SC is a great gun, and I suspect you'll fall 'in like' pretty quickly.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.