1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/U Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hank55, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hank55

Hank55 Member

I've always wondered why most people when shooting doubles with an O/U shoot the bottom barrel first? I've been given several "questionable" answers including the bottom barrel always has a tendency to shoot higher?? The only thing that I can figure is that it stems from the fixed choke era when most bottom barrels had the more open choke. Anyone have the real answer?

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Seems my O/U's have less muzzle flip when the lower barrel is fired first.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

What coach says. The bottom barrel moves more in a straight line rearward when fired. In guns without screw in chokes it is the more open choke, and therefore the first barrel fired.

That hunting habit may also have crossed over into target shooting. And it definitely makes sense shooting doubles.

HM

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Depending on how your gun patterns, the bottom barrel might shoot higher. The bottom barrel is also lower in your shoulder pocket, so less felt recoil, muzzle jump? Notice how shotguns without selective triggers always fire the bottom barrel first. Maybe for over a hundred years someone has figured it out?

Wayne

5. Hank55

Hank55 Member

Thanks, those explanations makes sense

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

They make sense until you test it. In which case you may find, as I do, that the top barrel kicks less. Or that there's no difference, which I think is probably the real answer. Load both barrels and shoot, one after the other and dismounting the gun between shots - at a rock on the ground. Try it.

Neil

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I always shoot the lower barrel first because my double release trigger is set to shoot the bottom barrel first. If I changed it to shoot the top barrel first, it would cause problems for me when I shoot singles and handicap with my unsingle barrel.

Pat Ireland

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

If you shoot a low rib O/U or top single on real hot days, there may be some optical distortion from the heat off the top barrel as you look down the rib. A hot bottom barrel does not have so much heat on the rib, so the view is better. I do not know if it is supposed to, or if the previous owner had it re-regulated, but my 682 Gold Berretta shoots the same elevation top or bottom. It is a high rib gun so I really do not see heat distortion from the top of this gun, but I did on my Sporting Clays gun. Good Luck

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

My MX3 is designed to shoot Top barrel first. It was an entry level Perazzi back in 1982 and it could be sold as a Top single or a combo without the need of having a second trigger assembly or a selectable trigger. At the time, the MX8 combo and the DB81 combos came with 2 trigger assemblies.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

When I shoot sporting clays, I usually put a more open choke in the bottom barrel, and tighter in the top.

On target presentations when the first target is the "far" target, I will shoot top barrel first.

To be completely honest, I can't tell the difference.

In single trigger guns without a barrel selector, the set-up is commonly bottom barrel first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.