1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/U Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bozkm, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bozkm

bozkm TS Member

Hello,
    Quick question...my assumption is that an O/U can be shot by a right hander or left hander..there is not specific models for each...is this correct?

Thanks.

2. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

stock configuration would be the key to that question.

3. bozkm

bozkm TS Member

I believe my gun is a normal stock with no cast..its an older Lanber 2097. Reason I ask, is I want to teach my wife to shoot and she is left handed.

4. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

no reason not to let her enjoy it.

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Some guns (for instance the Beretta 687) have noticeable cast-off which would be a "fit" problem for a left handed shooter. If the gun in question doesn't have stock fit issues then I don't see a big problem. Of course the top lever would operate backwards for her but I s'pect most lefties are accustomed to operating things backwards?

John C. Saubak

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Only 2 problems I see with that! First is that most women need a shorter stock than a man the same size. Second most women also need a adjustable recoil pad that allows them to not only lower the pad to bring the gun up, but more importantly they need it to twist even more. They are just built differently then men. But no reason she just can't go out and shoot a few with your gun until she wants one of her own. Have Fun and Break-em all. Jeff

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The answer to your question is you are wrong. There are left hand guns and there are right hand guns. Getting her started with a man sized, 12 guage, O/U is not the way to go. Maybe one of your friends has a gun with an adjustable stock that you can borrow. Also low recoil shells will help. HMB

8. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Very few Euopean guns have dead straight stocks, most have some cast at the comb but some have none. Almost all have cast in the toe. The best way to check for this is rest the stock your toe and sight down the bottom of the barrel looking at the underside end of the stock, if the toe points right, it won't work for a left hander, it will make the gun dig into the shoulder. You can correct this with adjustable pad hardware. With all that said unless you want your wife to shoot just once and never again just hand her an ill fitting gun and three dram shells and her shooting career with be over, trust me on this....... Put her on a right sized gun and (super lite shells)and you might have shooting partner for life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.