1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/U Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RogerAckerman, May 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogerAckerman

RogerAckerman Member

Hi Guys, I Have a older Armi Gamba 12ga O/U (1983)that I bought about a year ago after a friend of mine got me hooked into shooting trap. After i started using the gun I had a couple times that when I closed the gun it went off with out me touching the trigger! I took the gun in and had it checked out,cleaned and lubed and was told that all checked out in good shape. Sence then I have had no problems with the gun untill last Thrusday. I was shooting leagues and it happened again, just once. now I know I have probably ran afew thousand rounds thru her sence I had it cleaned, but is this something that happens when the gun starts getting dirty inside by the trigger area?, and should I be cleaning it out every so often?
    I do reload my own shells (started that about 8 months ago) and was thinking that my be I did not get the primer seated in far enough, but then thought I probably would not get then gun to close correcty if that was the caused?
    So I thought I would ask all of you guys for your thoughts and advise.

Thanks alot in advance
    Roger

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

If the trigger pull is set real light, it could get sensitive to dirt & dust, sears not engaging correctly.

3. Steve Fischer

Steve Fischer Member

A little more info would be helpful to address the problem. which barrel discharged? Did the person checking it for you actually pull out the firing pins and check for a broken tip that didn't fall out, but floats and will cause that kind of problem. Also, does the barrel that discharged have a return spring on the firing pin? Another possible source for the problem could be a worn cocking piece that is not setting the sear/hammer engagement deep enough.

I suspect the problem is in the firing pin as a first guess. It may not be retracting fully, sticking due to some deformity, or has no return spring or a broken one.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.