1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

o/u or un-single

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by singles, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. singles

singles Member

I am going to buy a new trap gun. It will most likely be an xt trap with an adjustable comb. Guns unlimited offer an unsingle and the standard o/u. Can I accomplish the same shooting pattern with an o/u vs the un-sinlge? I know the un-single has the adjustable rib where the o/u doesnt. I will use this for 16 yard and caps - no doubles... can't afford the combo.

Thanks in advance!

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

If you have no plans for doubles then the unsingle is your choice.

HOWEVER, the O/U will let you shoot everything including doubles and sporting clays. So decide whether the pros of the unsingle for singles and caps outweighs the versatility of the O/U.

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Buy a slightly used combo for the price of a new single. Might come with case, better recoil pad, ect..

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

In all honesty it will depend upon your preference for POI...are you a shooter who likes to shoot 90% or higher?? If you are one of the majority that are 60/40 up to but not over 90/10...an XT with 32" barrels and an adjustable comb will shoot any game for you including Sporting and 5 stand, wobble etc. An unsingle is great and I love them but they are a very special in purpose trap only deal and even though I own a couple, love the versatility and less recoil of a good smooth swinging over/under XP100 has a Citori Plus Combo very reasonable..adjustable everything and two barrels

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Some people simply can't shoot an unsingle well for reasons no one really understands.

A friend made the switch from an XT to a Browning unsingle and simply could not shoot it. I had absolutely no problem making the same switch from my XT to his gun BUT I'm a 1-eye shooter using a big dot and he shoots 2-eyes. He got rid of the unsingle and is happily back to his 97 average with another XT.

MK

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I am one of those people who cannot adapt to shooting an unsingle for whatever reason (mind games) ... I shot a Model 12 for many years (top single) then shot an MX-8 combo (top single), then a TM-1 (top single) then got a smoking deal on a MX-2000 combo (unsingle) and was never sure where the hell I was shooting ... I put it on the pattern board many times for point of impact (POI) and tried to gain some confidence in it there but it seemed like I was always guessing even though I shot it reasonably well at times ... I sold it and bought a TMX (high rib top single) then a MX-2000/8 (top single) combo and am starting to feel confident again so we will see what happens ... If I was going to shoot an over/under I would probably have to shoot the top barrel in most cases, except when we play on doubles ... My top single does shoot 100% high so thats probably got something to do with it, but so did the unsingle once I got it set up right ... I shoot more off of the end of the barrel so the top single just seems to work out better for me ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Get either. But get a Monte Carlo stock.

8. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

If you go with the unsingle I also would recommend you try before you buy.Jerry

9. Cuky

Cuky Member

Hi my name is Peter and I have Browning XT 30" O/U barrels for sale with some extras. I live in Florida. You can shoot me PM. Thanks

10. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Either can get the job done. That said........ how many above average shooters do you see using an O/U for singles or handicap?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.