1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/U for Trap- Which Barrel??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by majesticman, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majesticman

majesticman TS Member

Just interested to know- for those who shoot trap with an O/U, which barrel do you use and is there a reason for it (I guess I am not talking about guns with fixed barrels)?

Thanks

2. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Majesticman, There is no set barrel to use when shooting single targets with an O/U. Use the one that has you centering the targets. When I shot a Beretta 682 and a Caesar Guerini the top barrels seemed to shoot where I needed them to. However, you may notice less recoil from the bottom barrel.

Hit 'em hard,

John

3. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I prefer to shoot the bottom barrel for one reason...less heat waves coming around the rib during hot weather. I can't tell the difference in recoil between using the top and bottom barrels, though I have heard others say they can.

I am shooting a Browning O/U and it does not have one of the big high ribs. If I shoot the top barrel, more heat waves are visable coming around the rib off the barrel and it is distracting in trying to focus on the target.

Martinpicker

4. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

I use the bottom barrel on my Guerini Impact. I think it's because my other trap gun, an unsingle, also uses the bottom as the top is plugged.

5. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Well, I've always used the bottle. But after reading some of the statements here, I may start to expermient with the top barrel.

6. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

DIXIE SPECIAL 25 Lifes too short not to shoot a K-80... TS Supporters

Bottle?? lol... here we go..

7. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Dagggg, I ment bottom.... It's a CLC night.....

8. BD457

BD457 Member

top on 682x

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

bottom...just out of habit and the recoil sensed is straight back like an unsingle

10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

A VAST majority of shooters use the bottom barrel first on an over/under.

11. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

I agree...the vast majority shoot the bottom barrel.

My question on top of the Op's...does that change with yardage?

Also doesn't the top barrel usually shoot a little flatter (with a Browning for instance???)

Stan...

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Up until a few years ago I shot 0/U's for everything. For singles I'd switch back and forth with no particular reason other than I felt like it. Handicap was usually with the top barrel because of choke constriction. A couple were around. 030 on bottom so I did occasionally shoot bottom barrel for handicap as well. The barrels on these printed to same poi. If yours are different then that will dictate the one you should use.

13. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Stanscustoms,

I have three Brownings...2 O/U guns.

The newer XT shoots 70/30 with both barrels. Exactly the same POI.

The older Citori (1976) actually shoots a little higher with the top barrel. (It also measures and patterns XF instead of the Full it is marked!)

Martinpicker

14. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Use the one that brakes the target best !!!!

15. Rem29

Rem29 Member

My preference has always been the one with the shotshell in it.

I usually find it in the bottom barrel....

16. StansCustoms

Hmmm..

I'm surprised that nothing has been said about possible canting the gun etc...causing the lower barrel to list off center...therefore making the top barrel the better choice for singles...especially on hard left and right swing shots..etc. etc...

Usually there is some overstudy on every aspect of this sport...till this thread, lol. Go figure...lol!

No brain cramps then, great!...I just need to stick mine in the tree fork again, and tweak it a little to the right and up...since it seems to be hitting low left, at the 27 anyway.....ha hah ha..

Happy trails...Stan

17. StansCustoms

Oh yeah..

One other thing...We have a club member that uses a lazer device...that looks like a shot shell sorta...to check his poi....

What say ye gentlemen about the reliability of those divices...do they work?

Stan...

18. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

If you have choke tubes, Improved Modified in top barrel with 1 oz. 8s for singles; Full (or light full) in bottom barrel with 1 1/8 oz. 7.5s in bottom barrel for handicap. Helps handle recoil. Regards, Ed

19. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Assuming the gun is used for doubles, in many cases the top barrel is for the second target and, thus, set up to shoot a lower POI than the bottom barrel. For that reason I'd think the bottom barrel would be the best choice, especially for handicap targets. Of course, spending time on the patterning board will answer your question, best.

best....mike

20. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

99.9% of trap shooters here in Australia use an O/U for trap, all events, as a lot of our events are 2 shots.

We use the bottom barrel first for everything as the recoil is lower in your shoulder and the bottom choke usually has the more open, from half choke or tighter.

Top barrels on most guns shoot a bit flatter which is better for the second bird in doubles, as well as having a tighter choke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

which barrel should i use for trap handicap

which barrel to use trap over under

witch barrel to use for traps