1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

o/u for singles instead of top single?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Coach, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear John

Use the technique and gear that works for YOU.

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

Just get ust to the one that is not comfortable

Bill

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

What you like is what you shoot.

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Hey John,

It seems to work for Leo!

ec90t

5. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Its all in what feels good John! I also have a 682 Gold E, and I can shoot it as well as my Perazzi unsingle. It might even be softer shooting because of all the barrel work. I might like the single better if it had the new "unsingle" like Joel Etchen sells. An unsingle fells a lot better to me. If I could only have one gun for everything - it would be the double and I would be very happpy with it! Out of a bunch of them I've had over the years, the Gold E is the best of them.

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Use whatever works.

I shoot an Etchen 687 unsingle 32/34 combo. O/U for doubles, unsingle for handicap, singles?-------whichever I'm in the mood for, usually the bottom bbl of the O/U.

John C. Saubak

7. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I started using my O/U for singles last season and it works great.

Tom

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

st8shuter, when I had my 682 Gold E combo, I found just the opposite. The top single moved quicker than the O/U.n I had a 34/32 combo. I'm guessing yours is 34/30.

However, to answer your question. You have choke tubes. You can do whatever you want. There is zero problem using the U barrel for singles, and it may well improve your doubles. In fact, you may find yourself shooting the O/U exclusively.

Some unsolicited advice. Check all your choke tubes for POI at 13-15yds, in the same barrel. I found that only two of the chokes Beretta included shot to the same POI. those two each shot to the same POI in the O barrel, but not to the same one as the U barrel. My U barrel shot higher.

I ordered replacement tubes from Briley and got much better patterns, and more consistent results.

I started shooting with a Superposed. I bought the 682 because I loved the way the 32" O/U felt. I decided to buy the combo because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Not only did the top single move faster, it shot higher than either of the O/U barrels, because of the rib height and design. If I had bought just the O/U barrels, there is a much better chance I would have kept the gun.

For me, the difference is swing, POI, and sighting length was enough to mess me up. I knew I would be better off shooting everything with the U barrel and the O barrel for the second shot of doubles. I certainly knew how to change chokes. I just couldn't bring myself to do it because I had a COMBO, and everyone KNOWS you have to shoot the single barrel for singles and handicap. And if you didn't, there were always the self proclaimed EXPERTS willing to tell you so with a tone and a look that said "dumber than dirt rookie".

Use your O/U barrels. You like the way they move better. That's one plus. If you use them for singles and doubles, I'll bet your doubles scores improve. The automatically higher POI on the top single is "supposed" to help you for handicap. You can accomplish exactly the same thing by raising your comb for handicap, and lowering it for singles and doubles. Many finally decide to shoot the O/U for everything. That's why you see 682 top single barrels for sale, but almost never the O/U barrels (especially 32") separately.

I often shoot my O/U barrels for singles, and I can tell you for a lead pipe cinch that when I do, I hit many more second birds at doubles. It happens every time, so it cannot be a coincidence. Yes, i still get comments like- if you are going to do that, why did you buy a combo, or similar. I just ignore them. You should too.

9. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

This is the way it was told to me . I bought a new Browning XT trap combo the general consensus at the local club was to use the O/U for singles and doubles and the top single for HC. I just started doing that recently at the Dixie as I didn't know the difference before and was using the 34 top single for both HC and singles. I like using the O/U because it looks cool.

Martin

10. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

The picture above was taken at the 2008 Dixie Grand. You may or may not recognize the shooters.

Two of the shooters were using O/U's for singles.

I am contemplating using my 32" Kolar O/U for singles and leaving the 34" unsingle for the caps..

Decisions - decisions.

38-01615

PS - this was the singles championship shootff that was held on Sunday due to bad weather Saturday night.

11. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I own a combo and shoot equally bad with the single or the o/u but the gun looks better with the o/u so that is what I use.

Darr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.