1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/U for singles, handicap & doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by samthompson, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samthompson

samthompson Member

What are the advantages/disadvantages for using the o/u for all 3 disciplines... as opposed to trying to make it a combo?

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The disadvantage of an O/U for Handicap (not Singles) is shorter sighting plane and a struggle to move stacked barrels into the wind. The disadvantage of a combo is you may have to change the comb between events because the POI may be wrong.

3. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

Once you start moving back in yardage you'll likely want your gun to shoot to a different point of aim than what you have set up for singles/doubles. For that reason, I shoot the double barrel of my combo for singles and doubles, and switch to my single barrel for handicap.

I really don't see much significant disadvantage otherwise. Yes, the double barrel has a shorter sighting plane and may be subject to wind a little more, but you'd have to be an AAA shooter to probably notice even a minor difference.

Mark T.

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Worked pretty well for Bert Keer didn't it, Mike?....that worn out old 101 of Berts' beat up on a lot of Perrazi's, Ljutics and everything else...

Ron

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

And Bert shot pretty good with that TM1 until it got stolen from his SUV parked outside a motel.

6. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Also, wouldn't it make a difference as to what your handicap yardage is? I am really asking you better shooters...if you are at the 20 yard line, would not the same over/under serve quite well? How much and what change in POI should be made at ,say, 25 yards and back? Higher POI? Thanks, Martinpicker

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Predominantly shot o/u's since 74 for registered. Made the 27 in 75. Shot various items through the years but always went back to stack barrels. Perazzi's till 86 when I switched to a 101. Shot the 101 Pigeons almost exclusively till fall of 08. Played with an Alferman for a year. Since a DT. My only 100 from the 27 was with an o/u. My highest yearly averages are with an o/u.

My first requirement is both barrels shoot to same poa. Then they are adjusted to 13" poi and used for all three venues.

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Used my Mx8 OU for all three disciplines from 1986 to '98. Could do it again but I like the adjustable rib on my Mx15.

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

First off, it is not like I am a Grand American, so I cannot claim to be the final authority. I simplified my life going from 3 shotguns, to a combo, now all I shot is a 32 inch O/U. When I shoulder up the gun, I cannot tell any difference between a 34 inch barrel and a 32 inch. I have never missed a bird and thought "if I only had my single barrel". I have no problem with people with SBT or combo guns, I just have become comfortable with the O/U only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

do you want your shotgun to shot higher for singles or handicap