1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/U for MX 15

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by miketmx, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I dunno from actual experience but I have read here on ts.com that MX8 and MX14 barrels are the best match with that rib height.

2. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

DB 81 will work good also. Tom

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

not a DB81. No.

4. Rich Bullard Jr.

Rich Bullard Jr. Active Member

The DB81 is not going to match up.

5. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

oh boy, i went through this, and bought a bitchin set of bbls mx11 same as mx14 but the mx11 came w/ a top single and i have to move the comb when shooting dubs so i think i'm gonna buy the mx14 iron and receiver on this site as i already have a nice blank and the mx11 bbls trigger should be no problem and i will have a dedicated dubs gun plus a back-up as the bbls are already fitted to the mx2000 watta ya think, sorry i forgot to mention i had the mx11 bbls w/ no side ribs fitted to an mx2000 unsingle

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I have high fixed rib MX2000 barrels and they are very close. Unless you are incredibly picky, you probably won't need to move the comb. I think they are very close to the unsingle.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

A friend of mine once shot an MX-15 and was never able to find an O/U barrel set that matched up with the unsingle. I have a Shotgun Combo Gauge and we used it to measure the drop to the comb from the rib of a slew of O/U sets without finding one that matched the unsingle's rib height.

He got a good deal on the MX-15 but finally traded the gun for an MX-10 combo.

Ed

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I found an old step rib mx8 barrel matched up well. 32". No-no on the db81 also!!!

9. Rich Bullard Jr.

Rich Bullard Jr. Active Member

OK guys I have watched this same old story told again and again. There is no perfect match for an MX15 six notch adjustable rib unsingle or a MX2000 five notch adjustable rib unsingle. Both of these guns were built as an Unsingle Gun only and the sight picture and rib heighth will be different with whatever set of O/U barrels are used. Remember shooting is a game of eliminating variables and the only way you eliminate this variable is to buy a matching COMBO GUN. Close only counts in nuclear war.

Rich Bullard, Jr.

p.s For those of you that refuse to buy the combo gun, I may just have a set of O/U barrels that will get you close.

10. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Rich, what barrels do you have that you think are close?

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

MX8 step rib.... MX14....and yes.. the MX2000/8 barrel all offer get hope of matching you... At the Grand the last two years.. the MX14 was the best match for most.. followed by the MX8 step rib... The MT-6 barrel also worked for 2 shooters...hope this helps..

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I have.. for myself..altered the poi on o/u barrels by changing the fit on the water table..I have gotten up to 10% shift in POI on some barrels..meaning I can take a dead flat shooting barrel.. and by receiver/mono=block fit got it to shoot 60/40 with no other changes... No tree fork.. no Briley off set tubes.. no Tom Wilkinson altering the bore...

That might be the answer for your ALMOST perfect to perfect... My best change comes from older cat3 barrels on cat4 frames.. The worse they drop on.. usually the higher the change is both possible.. and often needed to fit the barrel so it locks up correctly... As always.. i try to be here with an answer..

I have one of these at home.. if one added a MX15 barrel.. you'd have a perfect combo.. It's 31.5" series 2 Briley top and bottom... Virgin bore..no porting.. Barrel and receiver $2600 plus shipping... You'll need to add a cat3 forend and wood... or I can furnish one with repaired wood.. but fitted iron for $200.. It's already fitted to the gun.. and it's been shot and patterned.. It closes like a new gun...it's totally rebuilt late model MX11 receiver..drop trigger style.. cat4 receiver. New locking bolt.. firing pins.. springs.. It needs NOTHING but a butt stock..and Perazzi drop trigger.. I shot it with a MX15 stock.. fit and shot perfectly..

If you bring me your MX15 barrel.. I'll fit it free of charge..but you might try to drop it on first.. Most MX15 barrels usually just about drop on the MX11/14/15 frames with little or no work..usually just a locking bolt and very light fitting if any..

Now.. I doubt this barrel will fit anything else...but for $1600 you can buy the barrel plus shipping...so much has been cut it should be a long shot..but if your receiver is about serial number 90,000 it might work.. I'd rather see a face to face.. I live in New Orleans and have plenty time to help my friends. My store is closed.. I get chemo every two weeks.. Mike

13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Well, I'm going to disagree with everyone on this thread. I've been there and done all of it, sometimes twice, and I can say with authority there is no good simple answer to the question asked. The correct is...it depends on a number of things.

I once owned a 35" MX-15 barrel that was fitted to my MX-2000 receiver. I loved that barrel. I like shooting doubles, so I bought a good used Remington 3200 Trap w/30" barrels. I shimmed up the comb so it shot where I wanted. My unsingle was set up to shoot 22" high and the 3200 at 3" high. I have never shot better scores than with that setup.

I got tired of carrying two guns and cases to each shoot, so I sold the 3200 and had Giacomo fit a set of 31.5" MX-8 Trap barrels to the receiver. Why, because that was the conventional wisdom. Yes, the rib heights matched perfectly. No, I did not shoot that set of barrels well at all. Why, because of the shorter barrel length, pulling the trigger when the bead/bird relationship was the same as with the 35" barrel resulted in a POI that was even higher than 22". So the only way I'd ever shoot the O/Us well was to lower the comb so they shot flatter. First off, it wouldn't go that low. And secondly, that is exactly what I did not want to do. After all, isn't that why one buys a true combo in the first place?

So I sold the O/U barrels. I eventually sold the MX-15 barrel. I bought a 35/34 combo set of barrels. I now had an MX-2000RS with barrels only an inch apart and weighing the same within an ounce. Oh boy, I'm going to knock them dead in doubles. Wrong! Even though the two barrels shot to essentially the same POI, it was the POI of the O/U that was wrong. I need a flatter shooting gun for doubles, because it takes me a long time to get to the second bird.

So the solution for me would be a higher ribbed O/U so I would get a lower POI without changing the comb.

Once you get over this bugaboo of the rib heights have to be the same, you'll find that unless you shoot a very flat shooting gun, you may be better off with rib heights that are not the same, as long as they match your shooting style.

Here are some truths: assuming everything else is correct, the shorter your O/U barrels are vis-a-vis your single barrel, the higher the rib must be to hit the exact same POI using the same aim point.

The flatter you want the O/U to shoot vis-a-vis the single, the higher the rib has to be. Otherwise, you'll be adjusting your comb every time you change events.

This is simple geometry. In fact, if you already know what you like, you can easily figure out what rib height (bead height actually) you need for any length O/U barrels to give you the POI you want without changing the comb or affecting the POI of the single barrel.

So the only answer to the question asked is...it depends. It depends on your shooting style, what POIs you like for the various disciplines and on barrel lengths.

14. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

The last post makes some sense to me. I shot my MX15 for singles put DB 81 barrels on for sporting clays and shot it very well. That is why I mention the DB 81. Good luck on getting what you need. Tom

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

What ZZT said was why Giacomo always suggested splitting a combo and making 2 guns.. Most shooters set them up differently anyway... Mike

16. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

How come so many say the MX-14 o/u barrels are best on an MX-15? Meanwhile, the gunsmith at Perazzi told Dan Bonillas and I that the best o/u barrel for an MX-15 would be an MX-3 Special. Go figure. Regards, Ed

17. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

The idea behind the original design of MX-15 and MX-2000 unsingle is not for you to make a combo out of them, to beat the price of factory combos (with adjustable ribs).

Perazzi design the MX-15 for the ATA shooters solely. It has all the adjustments at the widest range ever. At an entry level price. A true bargain among Perazzis.

Same principle with the MX-2000 Unsingle, a bargain compare to the MX-2000 O/Us. They meant to be a bargain. But you'll always be a single barrel shooter.

All these deals from the factory came with a catch, no factory O/Us will make a perfect match to turn these into a combo. If you want a factory unsingle combo with adjustable rib, you'll have to pay the price.

18. James.c

James.c Member

if they intended it to be an unsingle why didnt they do what kreighoff did with the kx-5? i know the kx-5 isnt an unsingle but there is a preetty large drop from the top of the receiver to the top of the barrel compared to other sbt's

19. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Because they use the same old MX-14 receiver that was in production for decades. They put an adjustable rib on the same MX-14 unsingle then call it MX-15.

Then they put a one notch less bridge for the rib on the same barrel and put it on an existing MX-2000 receiver make it an unique MX-2000 unsingle for those don't like plain receivers.

20. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Steve W, you are a gentleman; thanks for the info re: the MX-14 genesis of the MX-15. I bought an MX-14 o/u barrel and had it fitted to my MX-15. All the discussion was keeping me awake - it is now 1:12 a.m. in Kansas and I can now hit the sack and quit worrying. Now all I have to worry about is 7.5s vs. 8s :eek:) Best Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.