1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/U Doubles gun advice

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GR8Guns, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GR8Guns

GR8Guns TS Member

I just recently took up trap shooting “recreationally, haven’t shot any registered targets but might some day.

Currently, I am using a single barrel 34” trap gun for shooting 16 yard and handicap.

Now, I am thinking about a used O/U for doubles.

Here’s my question, should I consider a 30” or 32” O/U for doubles?

Chokes are not the question rather barrel length.

I’ve been looking at buying a used O/U and they are a few available in both 30” and 32”.

Appreciate your thoughts or suggestions.

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

GR8guns,

Ballistically there is very little to no difference between the two. Some prefer the sighting plane on one better than the other, and others prefer the weight difference.

Get a chance to shoot a couple and find what works best for. What works for one doesn't necessarily work well for another.

ec90t

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

This is too subjective for us to tell you what's best for you. I'm a big boy but have never found 32" barrels I could swing well like 30" barrels. In fact, I've shot doubles with a 28" barrels and choke tubes without dropping my average. You might find just the opposite. I know one sporting hero that shoots 34" barrels on his sporting gun, you're seeing more and more 30" and even an occasional 32" set on the skeet range while 26" was the standard for decades then 28" became popular. You must try a few samples of what you're interested in and, hopefully, your answer will be obvious.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Bob,

I have shot quite a few rounds of skeet with my 12ga. 32" Guerini sporting gun and find it very well suited to the task. At 7.2 lbs its very lively swinging gun but hates 1 1/8 oz loads. Lol.

ec90t

5. GR8Guns

GR8Guns TS Member

Thanks, everyone, I really appreciate all the feedback.

Bought a used Ljutic mono gun earlier this year. It has a full choke and I really enjoy shooting it. It will turn targets inside out at 16 and HC if I do my job.

Also live in Iowa and been thinking about heading to the Iowa State shoot this summer and spending some time to check out the vendors and try a used gun or two. Also, thinking about heading south down to Sparta for a day or two to attend the Grand and try the same thing.

Because I am not shooting register targets, I’ve been looking at used Perazzi (MX8), Krieghoff and older Browning.

There are a lot out there to choose from, just need to be careful when buying a used gun and especially an older model. Most of the Brownings I’ve looked at are in excellent shape (Belgium made) but most also have a Broadway rib but that doesn’t really seem to bother me.

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I'm a pretty tall guy (6'1"), currently using a 32" Beretta O/U and I like it better than the 30" O/U that I used to shoot for doubles because when I rest the muzzles on my toe between shots it reaches my toe more comfortably.

John C. Saubak

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

More important than barrel length is where the top and bottom barrels POI is. It is very important to have a gun that works for your style of shooting doubles. Shoot the gun before you buy it. It's the only way to be sure it is right for you. HMB

8. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

If this is your first doubles gun, and you haven's shot doubles yet, I'd strongly suggest the 32" gun...its resale will be better than a shorter gun...and you will trade it eventually. As for swing dynamics, I find many guns to be a bit muzzle-heavy for doubles...a compensating weight in the butt stock can make a huge difference. Look at the Guerini O/U and see how you like the high rib...for those of us with a long face/neck, its a great improvement. Doubles is the most fun of any trap game...you'll love it.

WNCrob

9. gslam

gslam TS Member

I've had several and now shoot a 32" Berreta Silver Pigeon II Sporting. It is the best by FAR over anything else I've owned or tried. It is only 7.9lb. and wings like a feather. I wouldn't trade it for a dozen of anything else for doubles or singles. I have several other O/U but always take this one to doubles. Buy one

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

A 32" gun is great, IF you have the upper body strenght for it. Many petite, older or frail folks cannot handle the longer gun.

I typically recomend a 30" gun for most shooting chores. As was mentioned earlier, you WILL sell or trade the gun. A 32" gun is ponderous and sluggish for most new shooters. We use muscles in shooting seldom used for anything else.

I have developed an extensive routine of shooting specific exercises. This is good and bad. My upper body strength allows me to demonstrate techniques without effort, and arm and grip strength have made manipulating auto loading sidearms child's play.

The bad thing is that my 10+ lb Krieghoff, lovingly named "Truck Axle", feels very light. Blowing through targets is becoming a problem. If I get a surge of adrenalin, I will blow six feet past high two on Skeet, or the same amount over a straightaway Trap target.

I just picked up a 32" Trap gun, and weighted it, but this extra few ounces did not solve the problem. Caesar Guerini makes a 34" Sporter, but it is light at barely over 8 lbs. The 34" K-80 Sporter is light as well.

I guess this is better than not being able to effortlessly handle the gun. LOL

11. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Hey Borrow and try a Beretta Auto with a parralel rib with a 28" barrel. Longer action make a longer overall gun. Put in a Mod and make it shoot flat or 50/50. I won't say it better than a o/u but don't knock it until you try it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.