1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/U barrel or whole different gun for doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Thom Simpson, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Thom Simpson

Thom Simpson Member

I just got a MX15L with an unsingle barrel. Now to Doubles, do I find an O/U barrel for the MX at (+$2,500) or just shoot a different gun for doubles? (I dumped my UGB25's) I got a Supper Sport and a 391, I know guys dont like the brass slingers but it is what I have. Thought please.

Thom

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

If you believe that having your comb adjusted, your butt pad adjusted, your trigger set up the way you want...all help your shooting, why not just hang a set of o/u barrels on the butt stock and have at it. Regarding the "brass slingers", they can be fairly easily fixed to throw the brass down low and close to the gun or out in front so they don't bother the shooter. Personally, I prefer an O/U with different chokes for upper and lower for doubles.

JON

3. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

DB-81 or MX-14 O/U bbls is what you need. Lose the idea of a 2nd gun.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

If you find an O/U barrel set for the MX-15 you will probably have to adjust the comb every time you shoot Doubles. I use a separate gun for Doubles since I'm too slow at putting another shell into the TMX.

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I used to run two guns. Not the way to go. It is hard to make two different guns work for you, especially if they are not the same model and/or stock. A barrel set works better. I have gotten to the point where I leave the single barrel at home. I just shoot the 32" O/U set for singles and doubles. Makes life simpler, does not seem to hurt the score. Good Luck

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Thom, it really depends on how you shoot doubles. I tried it both ways. First, I used my MX-15 for singles and caps. Then I bought a used Remington 3200 and set it up for doubles. It worked very well, but I got tired of carrying two entire guns to each shoot.

I sold the 3200 and bought a set of MX-8 O/U barrels from Giacomo and had them fitted. It was a disaster. My unsingle barrel was 35" and I had it set to shoot 22" @ 40. The O/U barrels were actually 31.5" long, and because they were shorter, the POI was even higher. I can't shoot doubles with that high a POI, so it was a disaster. I was never able to shoot anywhere near as good scores as with my 3200.

I shoot singles and caps quickly, but I am slower to the second shot of doubles, so I need a gun that shot much flatter. My current setup is a 35/34 combo set to shoot 10" high @ 40. I do much better with that, but I wish the O/U shot lower. I'm fine when I shoot quickly, but if I don't catch the second bird while it is still on the way up, I'm in trouble. A lower POI would help.

If I were you, I'd try a practice round of doubles with your MX-15L. Make your move to the first shot just as you normally would, but don't fire. Then pick up the second bird, move and fire. That will tell you if you can hit the second bird with your singles settings. If not, try lowering your comb until you are hitting the second bird.

once you know what POI vis-a-vis your unsingle you need for the second shot, you'll have a better idea of which O/U barrels to add.

The higher your POI for singles, the more important it is for your O/U barrels to be the same or close to the same length. If you are going shorter, then you will need a higher rib to keep the same POI.

If your unsingle is 34 or 35", the an O/U barrel set from an MX-2000/10 RS in 32" (31.5" actually) will match up fine. The next highest rib is the MX-2000/10 (not RS). That is very slightly higher than the RS version. Both have adjustable, aluminum ribs and will also match weight wise to your unsingle.

If you go with a lower ribbed O/U, you can always raise the front bead to lower your POI.

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I don't think there is an existing OU barrel that will 100% hang on the Mx15 and give you the same sight picture that you have on your single barrel. The DB81 has a considerably higher rib and is not suitable. The Mx14 ou is close but is slightly lower than your 15's rib. The standard Mx8 "step rib" is close also but, again, it's slightly lower than the 15 rib.

It's too bad that Perazzi doesn't make a barrel just suited for it. I know gun sales might not be that brisk right now and I would think lots of 15 shooters would love to make theirs a combo. That would be great. I'd be first in line for one.

8. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I would be second in line!

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I shoot a Ljutic for singles and 'caps and an O/U for doubles...to me they are so different I can imagine a one gun for everything anymore.

Ron Burr

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I also shoot a mx15. I have an old step rib mx8 barrel thats close, but, I do have to adjust the comb up 1/8" and shoot off the barrel a bit.

I also say the db81 isn't even close!

jim c

11. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

"Hey Orville what ya runnin today"? "Oh just my old P and my new K".

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get a Remington 3200 to use for doubles. It has mechanical triggers and works very well for doubles. HMB

13. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I have an MX-15L and bought a set of MX-14 barrels and had them fitted. After fiddling with the adjustable comb to try and make the barrels work; struggling with low scores; and generally getting real frustrated, I sold the barrels. Continued shooting doubles with a Browning 425 sporting clays with 32" barrels and an adjustable comb; however, never really enjoyed the game of doubles, even with better scores. The comments by zzt are "right on". Good Luck. Regards, Ed

14. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

The best advice I can muster is to treat each game separately. Setup your gun to optimize the results for singles, handicap and doubles separately. There is no way that you will be able to shoot each discipline at your 100% best with only one setting for your comb/rib/POI. Once you get past that thought, you are on your way to shooting better scores.

15. plaw

plaw Active Member

Hoosier on here has a nice set of db-81 barrels,I bought mx 8 and had to add a keen site rib to it so i don't have to change any of my setting for my single barrel.

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

A combo is where you want to end up. A barrel set for the gun you have is one way to get there, the other is to start over with a factory built combo and that may be you best option in terms of ending up with a gun that shoots where you want it to at the lowest end cost.