1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/TFreeCreditReport.com

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by geneleroy, Mar 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

I'm sure with all the expertize we have on this site someone can enlighten this poor old country boy, 'what's the gimmick with this free credit report who-haw'??Someone is spending 1000's of dollars in TV advertising just so we underlings can get a 'free' credit report!---Give me a break!---I don't give a 'hoot' what my credit rating is, just curious on the 'gimmick!'

At my age no one gives me "credit" for anything anyway!LOL

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

It's not free. You have to sign up for the service.

Eric

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Thanks, now you got me singing that stupid song.

4. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

Federal law requires the 3 credit bureaus to give everyone a free credit report once a year. See the site above.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Yes, you get the first one free but they charge your card after that, stay away from it

6. DK65

DK65 TS Member

I've done the free report through annualcreditreport.com for the last three years - haven't been charged yet. Actually found a discrepancy last year...

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

You have to be careful which blocks you check on the web pages or you will be charged

go to each of the 3 rating services seperately on their own website and request your report

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

The catch is you are allowed by law to get a free copy of your credit report annually. If you want your credit score you have to pay. They will also offer to monitor your report(s) for a price.

I don't think that getting an annual free report counts as an inquiry. It is when financial institutions do an inquiry that may count against your credit score after so many.

Jason

9. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

No, just getting a copy of your credit report won't hurt your credit score. Like DK65, I've gotten free credit reports for the past few years and you aren't charged so long as you don't get one more than once every 12 months. They can't charge you without your knowing since you would have to give them a credit card number to be charged anything. No reason to be paranoid about getting these free reports- it can only be helpful to you.

10. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

You can get a free report from the three credit companys every year. Get one from each every four months, that way you can track your credit all year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.