1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T your best receipt for Goose Breast

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by striper, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

Jan 29, 1998
    My hunting buddy and I have been able to kill about 10 geese in the last few weeks . He loves em so I have had the fun and thrill of the hunt and then just give the dead birds to him. However,tomorrow I am going out to our blind and will probably, if all goes well, be able to kill 2. That's all I want to have to clean. I know my wife won't eat any so how about sharing that extra special receipt so after I clean them I can look forward to my first tasty Canadian Honker! My real love is killing crows but the weather in Ga has every field underwater so I will take second best. I just love to shoot and be outdoors. Thanks. Happy New year
  2. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008

The only way I enjoy eating the honker is to slice the breast about 1/8" thick, marinatie them overnight in Italian dressing, soy sauce, beef base, fresh garlic, fresh ground pepper and seasoned salt. Season however you like!

Smoke real slow and low in the Brinkman for about 6 hours with plenty of soaked hickory and enjoy!

Even my wife will eat the jerky!

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Goose barBcue, 4 breast halves, one DAM strong pot coffee, put in crock pot for 6 or more hours until the breasteses wiill fork apart. Drain then shread with fork, add your favorite BBQ sauce to taste. Enjoy. Jeff
  4. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

Jul 31, 2008
    being in Georgia I guess, sorry if wrong, that you will find geese NOT large enough to fully pluck, (and very pin feathery), so I suggest breasting and legging them out. The breast meat is good marinated and cut in strips like StonewallRacing says. Though I've never done it overnight.

It really depends on the age of the bird, you can get tough old geese or young yearlings.

With that said I wish those geese were here on the eastern shore of Maryland not in GA, been a slow year for my goose hunting.

5. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    We used to grind them with duck and make sausage. 30 years ago and I don't remember the exact recipe but add 25% fat and a lot of spices.

6. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Stonewall has it except, cut it in 2in squares by 1in thick,marinate same,cook it over charcoal to medium rare,not bad at all. GOOD LUCK

ps; Not much goose taste at all. Specs are a lot better.
  7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Iowa man!!
    I pick them dry and roast them like a turkey. They are wonderful that way. The problem is that you can encounter tough older ones as they tend to be long lived. Just don't let them dry out as you roast them.
  8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Green Bay Wisconsin
    My wife made dish with wild rice and mushrooms that was fantastic. If you like you can parboil the meat for a few minutes, it will lose a lot of the wild taste.

She would then pan braise the meat till it was tender, and make a gravy to mix with the wild rice, white rice, and mushrooms.

(damn now I slopped drool on the keyboard)

9. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Washington D.C.
    I'd take a look at this web-site and see what sounds good to you.
  10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Shawnee, Kansas, USA
    The first and only time I ever had wild goose breast, which was just last month, here's what I did, and it turned out OK.

I looked at the breast and said, "damn, that looks a lot like beef."

So I treated it like a piece of backstrap.

Cut across the grain about 1-1/4" thick.

Marinate in a ziplok bag in a half & half mixture of olive oil and Worcestershire Sauce, mixed with a generous bunch of Montreal Steak Seasoning.

Grill on a hot grill or fry in a pan just a couple of minutes on each side. Browned on the outside, deep purple on the inside.

I was astonished at how well it turned out.
  11. plabels466

plabels466 Member

Jan 29, 1998
    In a crock pot with your favorite veggie's.....Cook till you can shred the tender meat with a fork....Enjoy....Pete
  12. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I have always treated goose breast just like beef with a little help and we all love it.

Proportions are apprx.
    One cup of beef stock
    two big glugs of honey
    tbsp. sage
    tsp. thyme
    warm in a sauce pan to incorporate flavors and set to cool. When cool in a bowl or zip lock bag add goose breasts and let sit on counter for an hour or in refer over night. Get your bbq hot. remove breasts and put remaining liquid in a sauce pan and re heat at least to boiling while the goose is cooking. Spray breasts with olive oil and cook to Med/med rare. Do not over cook.
    Serve with wild rice/brown rice and mushrooms. The reserved sauce can be used as a dipping sauce or for baste. Be Well Wayne
  13. richrob

richrob TS Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Treat a goose like beef, they generally feed on corn or soy beans much like a cow, not on fish. Also, geese depend on natural oil to stay dry, the oil is produced in their skin so if you simply pluck them you will get a greasy gamey taste.

Breast them out and butterfly them for a thinner cut, then pick one of the recipes above, there are some good ones listed.

- Rich
  14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Get a big ol can of Lard and and mix it with bacon grease, soak the Goose in it until its good and saturated, toss in a frying pan and cook the hell out of it over onions ... WPT ... (YAC) ...
  15. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2006
    Central Kommiefornia
    Cut the breast into chunks and marinate in Italian dressing then shish kabob with bacon wraped around each piece and BBQ in a covered BBQ (weber) you can use wood chips for more flavor.Enjoy
  16. ShootinSue

ShootinSue Active Member Supporting Vendor

May 31, 2007
    We have a recipe that we use for ducks and geese and anyone who doesn't like duck or goose will after tasting this. We use mainly the breast meat, but it will work on the whole bird after it has been cooked.
    Crock pot the breast meat until done, drain, put aside. (I put a can of chicken broth in the crock to cook the meat, but water will work.)
    In a medium sauce pan add the following:
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 Tablespoons cornstarch
    1 Tablespoon flour
    Stir in:
    1-1/4 cup orange juice
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup lemon juice

cook over low to medium heat until it boils, stirring constantly, boil 2 minutes, remove from heat and add 1 Tablespoon butter. Pour over meat.

Try it, you'll really like it! That's my special sweet/sour sauce for wild birds.
  17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Poor little birds. HMB
  18. pdq

pdq Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Another element is what type of goose.

If you are shooting snow geese, I'd advise you not gutting it, but rather dig a hole 2 - 3' deep, place the geese in the hole, refill with dirt, and then plant flowers on the spot.

If you are talking Canada geese, I like them done very plainly. Take the breasts and cover with partially cooked bacon, then roast in the over until rare to possible medium rare. Then, salt and pepper to taste. Delicious. Done properly, it is finer than any piece of beef you've had, and there's no need for overwhelming sauces or marinades that kill it's flavor.

19. skeezix

skeezix Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Keep it simple. Treat it like beef, not poultry! I soak duck breasts, swan breasts, goose breasts in saltwater overnight to pull out the blood (I've read plain water works, but I've had luck with salt water so i've stuck with it). I marinate the breast in a mix of soy sauce and olive oil for a couple of hours. Grill until medium rare. I use Morans grilling salts, but there is nothing wrong with plain ol' salt and pepper. Unless you really, really like a strong dry liver flavor don't overcook them! The swan I grilled this year wes grilled about 30 minutes over charcoal - it was outstanding.

20. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Fairfield PA
    Canada Geese are the easiest wild game to turn into a completely inedible basketball that I know of. We've tried various methods of vulcanization and all have worked, save one, which BTW turned out th be the easiest.

Mix up a packet of Lipton's onion soup (we use chicken stock instead of water) and put it in your crockpot. Next, drop in the skinned goose carcass, breast down, with the removed thighs along the side and under it. Turn on the crockpot and walk away for 10hrs. Somewhere along the line, you can toss in some taters, onions and carrots. I agree with whoever said it's like beef, in taste and texture. It's really quite good, this way. enjoy your meal.....mike
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.