1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T: Xfer data from Win 98 comp to Vista comp

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by skeet_man, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Finally broke down last night and ordered a new comp from Dell, $340 all in, just the tower (the monitor I have now works fine, and i don't see any reason to replace it until it dies). Less and less stuff is supported by 98 (my current comp) any more, and the final straw was when I found out last night the CAD software I use is no longer supported by 98, and the forced update killed the functioning version I was using.

Here's my question. I have a bunch of files, photos, email data, ect that I would like to transfer from the old comp to the new one. The way i've done this in the past was to upload everything to a web drive, then download it to the new comp, but this seems to be way more effort than I should have to put into it, and is very frustrating when you forget something and have to hook the old comp back up to upload what you missed.

Is there any other options? Is it possible (easily) to hook a cable from USB to USB (or from ethernet port to ethernet port) and transfer data that way? The floppy drive on my current comp doesn't work (never did as far as I recall), and the new one doesn't have a floppy drive, so that won't work, and no way to burn cd's on my old comp.

I don't really have THAT much I need to transfer, but hate to waste time unnecessarily if theres an easier solution.

2. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer TS Member

If you're going to Vista there's a provision for transferring files from one puter to the other and your on the right track with the cable hook-up. Can't tell you if it'll work going from 98 to Vista but it worked for me going from XP to Vista. Pretty straight forward on mine. Good luck and maybe some of the more experienced can give you more info.
    Bill

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Is this the Bill Bauer from Georgia. Jackie B.

4. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

Get a large thumb drive, 4 or 8 gb.

5. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer TS Member

Shooting Jack, nope I'm from Nebraska.
    Bill

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

We just went through the exact same excercise and it was easy after we called Dell for assistance. It was a hard drive to hard drive transfer via USB ports and Dell provided a special piece of software to make it easy.

You and also use a thumb drive as Steve suggested but it is more work and you might overlook some files on the old machine.

So far, Vista seems to be working pretty good for us. Hope your printer has a USB conn., Ours didn't and we ended up buying a new printer.

7. skeet_man

Thanks for the advise all.

Old/current comp doesn't like thumb drives, so thats probably out. I'll have to call dell and see what they can do for me if i can't figure it out on my own.

Wolfram- Do you happen to remember what the name of that piece of software is? Printer is USB, probably the most modern piece of computer equipment i own LOL.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

No Skeetman I don't know what the software was called, Dell actually took control of our new machine over the internet and installed it. I'm not really geeky enough to understand most of this stuff. Plug and play or forget it is my skill level.

9. skeet_man

LOL, i'm about the same. Even growing up in the "computer age", I always spent most of my time playing with guns, hunting, and shooting, rather than being on the computer.

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

skeet_man what do you mean when you say Old/current comp doesn't like thumb drives?

When you say thumb drives I am familiar with zip drives and flash drives but have not sen thumb drives are they all the same?

I use a 8 Gig flash drive when I transfer files from on to another. I can not figure out why your old computer doesn't like them can you give more information.

Bob Lawless

11. skeet_man

Bob- thumb drive is the same thing as a flash drive. I have 2 sitting here i got for free i plan to use with the new comp, but neither came with installation software for 98, so my current comp doesn't even recognize them as anything (my computer is probably order than the concept of a flash drive LOL).

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Another method is to buy a external hard drive enclosure and put your old hard drive in it...then plug it into your USB and transfer everything.

It is also a handy way to store data that is seldome used.

Check out:

http://search.pricewatch.com/search?q=external+HD+enclosures&totalcost_min=min&totalcost_max=max

13. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Check out your jump drives as some are not compatable. I have a lot of brands and sizes. The pqi is one I have that will work with Windows 98 and Vista.My Kingstons will not work.The Corsair Voyager has a 10 year warranty.... if it is compatible. I have had good use with my Emprex and Kingston drives. Check when at the store as most have it written on the package if they are compatable. Check your properties on your documents folder and get one that is big enough to hold that file. That is also where your favorites and pictures are stored.

Also, do not just umplug your jump drive without first stopping it or you may loose all data on it. There will be an icon on the lower task bar to click on and then select to stop it and then from the pop up select it and click stop and it will tell you when it is ready to be removed.Ray

14. B V

B V TS Member

I bought a unit from Staples called "The Tornado" $19.99.

USB to USB cable on a retractible reel with software included 98SE,ME,2000, XP,and Vista compatible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.