1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T- Would you use 22LR for self defense ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GBatch_25, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

No flaming please.

I'm reading a lot about using 22LR for self defense. Yes, there are many pros and cons.

I'm interested in what the experiences / opinions are from this well educated group of shooters.

Yes / No ?

Hollow Point or Solid ?

Most effective ammo ?

Pistol : Revolver or semi-Auto ?

Gene in Illinois

2. Cazadore

Cazadore Member

Not for "myself" or my family defense. Low power, reasonable penetration but minimal wound channel and no shock (if you believe shock occurs).

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

no

But if you do, forget any kind of auto. .22LR doesn't feed that great in a full-size gun, but in pocket pistols, it flat-out sucks.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

would be my last choice ..even below the puny lil 25Auto

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I suppose it'd be better than nothing but not much.

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

As a primary defense weapon? You've got to be kidding. If you're switched on enough to see the need, be switched on enough to do it right.

7. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

Although small, I would prefer a 22lr over any 25acp. At least most people can handle a 22lr to a much higher degree of accuracy especially on follow up shots. I have shot dozens of racoons with my Colt Woodsman Match target using CCI 22 MiniMag hollow points. Mostly head shots, one shot kills. Most of which were pass throughs leaving 1/2" exit holes in the skulls. Use a bigger cal. if you can be accurate in a fast point and shoot situation. I really prefer my 870 and 3dr 1 1/8 #8s. Bill

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
  9. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

A gun is a gun, most people would rather not argue with a gun pointing at them, even a 22. Personally I would rather not argue with an air rifle pointing at me if I have a choice to turn back.

I bought a 9 shot 22 LR small frame revolver for my daughter to practice, she can hit 4" group at 15' constantly. Until she can manage to get same result with a .38spl, this will be her defense gun.

10. cnsane

cnsane Member

Allow me be the Voice of First-Hand Experience:

Back a couple of decades ago, I had a rimfire revolver pointed at me. One thing led to another, and I ended up getting shot at point blank range. The part of the ordeal that amazed me the most is that it felt like someone snapped me with a large rubber band when the bullet hit me in the upper thigh. As the car pulled away, tires squealing, I thought to myself that I could have put up a helluva fight had they decided to stay and continue their rudeness. That bullet did not slow me down in the least- until the next day, when I couldn't move my leg. I've also seen rimfires ricochette off a pop bottle without breaking it at 25 yards, so I'm not convinced a head shot from a .22 pistol would put a person down immediately. But it's your Life, decide what it's worth to you.

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I got an 8 shot S&W revolver with a crimson trace, if you put Aguila hyper max in it , they have 204 ft lbs of energy, about the same as a 158 gr 38 spl & about 3X that of a 25 acp. With practice you can empty the gun into a persons face @ 7 yds.

It will do the job

Phil Berkowitz

12. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

As a first choice, Of course NOT, however!
    Take it from a person who has had his home invaded, ransacked, &
    Robbed. Trust me, you'll never understand the rage. If all I had was a stick, I promise, someone would be hurt. Maybe me, but I'd give it up at that moment.
    It's funny now but when my home was robbed the state police said to me, (after I said if I was here I would have shot anyone I saw in my home.) I never forgot what he told me,"If you ever shoot someone in your home, unload the gun. Dead men don't lie! But most importantly, put something in his hand, anything, a spoon will do.

13. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

cnsane...
    That's some interesting personal experience. Thanks for sharing.
    I have been known to put my North American .22 revolver in my pocket from time to time..."just in case" when I didn't feel like carrying something better.
    As to head shooting,allow me to share some personal experience:I've dropped 1800 lb. bulls with a single .22 round in the head, reliably, on mny occasions. My little .22 isn't gonna do much at distance, and is not intended to take someone out from across a parking lot. In the last extreme however...facing someone with a knife, or club...up-close-and-personal...I'd rather have the .22 than nothing. To those doubters...ask yourself the question: if you HAVE to fight for your life and there's a .22 on the table next to a knife..you're going to be able to pick up ONE of them...your opponent gets what's left...which will you choose...??????

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

When Israel first came out with air marshalls, they were issued Beretta 22 lr.

And they used them with success.

Phil Berkowitz

15. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

A .22 is not an underpowered toy. I speak from personal experience.

Given a choice, I'd prefer a 50 BMG for self-preservation, but I'd be grateful for a .22 if that's what I had on hand.

16. oz

oz Active Member

.22 is the choice of professional killers. At least in the movies.

17. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Yes. 40gr solid HV. Semiauto. Empty the mag. Head shots. Something to think about: The majority of confrontations will occur at 7 yds or less. Unless the perp is in a wheelchair, that distance can be covered in less than a second, which means ANY hand weapon can be deadly. He may not kill you instantly but you can easily bleed to death before help arrives. The only guarantee of instant drop when hit are head or spine shots. The last thing you want to do in self-defense is to die together with the perp. Practice head shots.

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"When Israel first came out with air marshalls, they were issued Beretta 22 lr."</i>

The reason why is a .22 LR has a better chance of not penetrating through the inner walls and outer skin, or the sandwiched windows, of an airliner. This would be a big problem at 30,000 feet.

View attachment 203983

This is my small carry piece, a Walther PPK/L .22 LR. The L stands for Lightweight, as in aluminum frame. Very accurate and totally reliable.

With the advances in small .380s, I probably should revisit this issue.

19. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

No, not my first choice but I certainly would be in my top 5. BT100dc

20. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Maybe use one for defense if:

1. It was the only thing I had.

2. It preferably is an American 180. 177 rounds would eat someone up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.