1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Woody Woodpecker is driving my friend crazy

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GBatch_25, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

A friend I work with has a woodpecker using their wood siding as its target - driving the family nuts. We live in a suburban area near Chicago, lots are close together and the birds somehow have gained 'protected' status. And one of the neighbors thinks the bird is a "...glorious example of nature", so she watches what happens. Any suggestions how to permanently get rid of the thing?

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

2. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

7-1/2s or 8s ?

3. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

I deal with them everyday in my business. E-mail me and I will give you some advice.

4. neofight

neofight TS Member

I would call in Wiley Coyote and have him bring some Acme dynamite. Maybe a phony hawk stationed nearby would keep them at bay. Find out which bird of prey strikes fear in the little pecker.

I just Googled this and found that a solar powered owl might just be the ticket. The bad news is that the woodpeckers don't feed on the wood, but they do on termites and this may be the root problem, but not necessarily as they sometimes just want to announce their presence. You might want to check for infestation just to be sure. In the meantime, owls are cheap and just might be the ticket.

In the meantime, sleep with your molded ear protectors installed. Good luck with this.

5. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Kill one or two with a pellet gun, then stake them out on the ground near the house. The others get the idea real quick and will leave you alone. Or if your family won't stand for that go to a party barn type store and buy some hula skirt looking banner that goes around a table at a party. Thumb tack it up to the side of the house in question. The wind action will blow the skirt around and detour the little bastards............sometimes.

Cheers,

George

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Woodpeckers in most stats are protected, and laws about eliminating problem wildlife are often so vague as to be non-existent. Whatever you do, keep mum.

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The joy of wood siding. Squirrels like to gnaw on my redwood siding. Does the bird hit one spot or all over the place?

8. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Thx guys, for the ideas, even the ones clearly meant as wise cracks. Always worth a few chuckles.

To answer a question - the woodpecker is right now drilling in 1 spot, already having broken through another spot, which has been sealed.

I like the hula skirt idea.

Pellet gun is a possibility but would have to be done very surreptitiously so the nature-loving neighbor isn't aroused enough to call the cops. Any former snipers out there and available for assignment?

Thx

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

9. russ3800

russ3800 TS Member

I had one and I got rid of it by nailing a mousetrap just under the hole he was working on. It took one day.

10. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Russ, I like your ingenuity!! ......but officer, I thought it was a mouse hole!!

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

It's hard to have mercy on a repeat offender. Sounds like justifiable homicide.

12. porky

porky TS Member

Woodpeckers only attack the wood if there is bugs there. Some gets rid of the bugs, the bird is gone.

13. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Apply a touch of pepper spray to the area, see how he likes habanero with his wood.

14. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Rubber snakes will usually scare them off.

15. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Git er Done I just put a new addition on my house last month. The Damm downey woodpeckers have already pecked BIG holes in all the boards. I have to replace all the top (facial? facia?) boards. This is brand new wood, stained!

16. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

One old timer around here has a radio show where he talks a whole lot about a number of things. One time he was talking about woodpeckers hitting house sides. In addition to bugs actually being present, he also had experiences where there were no bugs but the woodpecker still tried to get it. What he found was that there was something causing a low frequency vibration in the boards and he figured the woodpecker was interpreting this vibration as being caused by bugs and he was going to get those, non-existent, bugs.

This guy was a trapper and animal pest control trapper/exterminator so he had a wide range of experiences.

I can't recall if the vibration/hum was caused by a ventilator or furnace exhaust blower but it was something like that. He changed the thing that was causing the vibration and the woodpecker left. Is there something that might be transferring a hum to the boards?

17. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Woodpeckers will attack your house if it looks like there might be a bug in there. Carpenter bee holes are one of their favorite things to investigate.

If I catch a woodpecker on my log home he is fair game for my Beeman 124.

Jim Skeel

18. porky

porky TS Member

Yvonne, Woodpeckers aren't there because of the taste of the wood. Someplace there is some bugs that the birds can hear. Try getting someone who is in the business of removing insects for a business to look your place over. Sometimes bugs move in during construction because of infested wood.

19. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

The pecking can also be a mating call. They will peck on whatever will make the most noise.

When i have more time i will tell you about the traveling woodpecker.

20. DJM

DJM Member

I wound up spending $2000 to have the siding on my gable ends ( there are 3 on my house) covered with steel siding. I have 1 x 6 T & G vertical pine over 1/2" OSB on the gable ends. The pileated pecker pecked a 4" x 6" hole thru both layers gaining access into the attic. I covered, then repaired that hole and they pecked another. Then a 3rd hole after I covered the second. I have as many as 4 at a time coming to my suet feeder. I shoot in my yard. I would have had no problem shooting the guilty party but was unwilling to wipe out the whole family. As my wife sez this is the cost of doing business when you decide to live in the country.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.