1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Winter Tires and TPMS

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by miketmx, Dec 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

If you decided to put Winter Tires on a car with TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) would you use the factory wheels with TPMS sensors and pay for twice a year mounting and balancing or would you buy extra wheels and sensors and do the seasonal changeover yourself. The owner's manual (Chrysler) says do not use aftermarket wheels without the sensors. If you did not use sensors would that only cause dashboard warnings or would it also screw up ESP and ABS brakes ??

2. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Mike: if you can find 4 used rims with TPMS, you could have an extra set. The module is just looking for a signal. It doesn';t have to be programed as when rotating tires it still knows the correct position. You can email me or P.M if you want to discuss. I have worked on Prowler, Vipers, and other Mopar cars. DON

3. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

It's really not a big deal. My husband and I each put accessory wheels on our '07 Ford Edges and run M/S tires on them all winter without TPMS sensors. All that happens is that the warning lights stay lit.

It's no different than running the space-saver spare on any wheel. It has no sensor in it either. Ford's manual notes that the light will stay lit while the spare is in place.

Chrysler is covering itself with its statement because the TPMS system is mandated by federal law and it's a federal offense for a garage to disable or reprogram the system to render it inoperable. You might need to explain to your garage why the warning light is lit if you have an inspection that comes due while the accessory wheels are on the vehicle.

Carol Lister

4. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

MIA: check your P>M. Birdtracker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.