1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O.T.--windows media player snafu/help!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by quicky, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicky

quicky Member

Okay, here goes: I lost the ram memory in my computer and the computer guy replaced it but another problem has surfaced. Whenever I try to play a video clip or something from my cd/dvd player the voice part plays at about 1/2 speed. Video appears to be slow as well, but difficult to tell. Even a video clip from the C drive plays the slow voice. He thinks it may be from Media Player 11 which he downloaded as an upgrade to MP 10. Said he will try reinstalling Windows to wipe out 11 altogether since a simple delete of 11 doesn't get rid of it all. I am using XP with an AMD dual-core processor and 2 meg. of ram. Anything I learn here I will pass along to him as I am relatively inept at anything more than the keyboard. Thanks all, Quicky

2. IM390

IM390 Member

Many people have experienced this type of problem with Media Player 11. Some MP3 just don't like #11; like Sandisk. Uninstall it and go back to Media Player 10

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

WMP 11 was written for Vista rather than for XP. It can (must) be removed using the "Add or Remove Programs" tool in the Control. Windows generally does not want to remove WMP entirely but rather will roll it back to your system's previous version. You may have to do this several times to either get to the version you want or remove WMP 11 entirely.

After you have removed or rolled back WMP 11 scroll down through the "Add/Remove" list to the list of Microsoft/Windows updates installed on your system and remove any that refer to WMP 11. If no updates are listed (usually at the end of the list), checkmark the "Show Updates" box at the top of the screen.

To get WMP 10, go here: http://oldversion.com/program.php?n=wmp

Morgan

4. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

I have Windows Media Player 11 and it is working just fine with XP operating system.

I suggest you go into the help menu and look for key subjects that may relate to your problem, click on it and see if your problem is defined.

Also:

There are a lot of settings in Media Player. Open the Player and click on "Now Playing", than "more options". Look over all the settings, you may luck out and find a setting that will resolve your problem. CAUTION, don't go checking something that you are not sure about, you may really screw things up.

Good luck.

Frank

5. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"I have Windows Media Player 11 and it is working just fine with XP operating system."

Congratulations, Frank... but this poster is having a problem that is not uncommon to XP systems. The IT and PC tech bulletin boards have been carrying it since WMP 11 was released. Since the #11 build was designed primarily for Vista and is more than twice the size of version 10, some PCs simply don't have the horsepower to handle it consistently. In fact, most of the additional functions are not usable by XP systems. They don't have the scripting engines to process them.

Anyone having problems with WMP 11 can and should revert to WMP 10 without any loss of functionality and free up about 12 Mb of memory in the process. Sometimes, newer isn't better.

Morgan

6. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Good point Morgan.

My computer is:

Dual core system with the following:

Pentium (R) D CPU 2.80GHz

2.80GHz, 0.99 GB of RAM

Perhaps this is why WMP works ok on my computer.

Frank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.