1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Winchester Model 70 FN- shooting one?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kenf, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenf

kenf Active Member

I'm looking at picking up a Model 70 for an upcoming Africa trip and want to take along a CRF Model 70 (in either 300 or 338 Win Mag), but that is another topic.

Anyhow, I have a pair of Classic Model 70's and am happy with both of those, and am torn between finding another Classic in stainless (to cover Africa and Alaska later on) or picking up on of the new FN Extreme Weather rifles to do what I want to do.

If you have one of the new FN rifles, what do you think of it?

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with the new M-70. A true classic. For thin skinned game, a flatter trajectory with a premium bullet is more important than caliber choice.

If I were going to do everything except Elephant or Cape Buffalo, I might take a 7mm Rem Mag and 375 H&H. If I were limited to one rifle for the same game, it would be a 375, no hesitation.

The Seven, with premium bullets, will get to the boiler room of any thin skinned African game animal. The 375 with modern bullets, will do it all. Some localities have a 40 cal floor for some big game.

Remember to hold closer to the shoulder for African game. Good hunting.

3. kenf

kenf Active Member

Shooting Coach,

Thats funny, the two classics I have right now are a 375 H&H in the safari classic, and a 7 Rem Mag in a sporter. The 375 is on the docket to go, but I guess I'm looking for a reason to have another Model 70 chambered in a Winchester caliber. I looked at the new Extreme Weather rifles yesterday and must admit I like the fluted barrel on that gun compared to the old Classic Stainless.

I don't have plans for any of the dangerous stuff yet, just antelope, zebra, and giraffe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.