1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Winchester Classic 70 458 Win Mag

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kenf, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenf

kenf Active Member

Kicking around the idea of picking up a CRF Model 70 Classic (not pre-64)Safari Express in 375 H&H or 458 Win Mag for a future trip. A check of most online auction sites shows the Model 70 craze has slightly cooled down for most common calibers/models, but the big bore guns are still asking and in some cases getting higher than original MSRP, both for used and like new in box guns. I know it comes down to how bad you want it and how much do you want to pay, but are the 98%+ guns worth $2000 +/- 200 or 300?

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I sold my 1980 manufactured Win. Super Grade .458 a couple of years ago...should have held on to it for a wee bit longer...but I needed the cash at the time...

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The 375 is monumentally more flexible than the 458. It is good to 300+ yards on plains game and has the horsepower to anchor BIG critters up close. It is among the best American big bear rifles. A 260 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip will do what a 30/06 180 gr will do as far as trajectory out to 300+ yds. A 300 gr Partition will stop anything not requiring a 300 gr solid, such as elephant or Cape Buffalo.

The 458 will quickly stop anything on this or other planets, but between horrendous recoil and rainbow trajectory, things become iffy past 150 yards.

For big critters in North America that might stomp or eat you, while retaining the option for a long range shot, the 325 WSM or 338 Win Mag is going to be hard to beat. The time-tested 35 Whelen, with good bullets, is also a perennial favorite.

Another good bear or moose rifle would be the Marlin Lever in their 450. With the right bullets, and at close range, this gun throws a lot of freight, and will do the job. The Marlins have proven their mettle in Africa with Barnes bullets. The pic is a large African Plains critter harvested with a 400 gr Barnes solid from this 45/70 Guide Gun. The shot pierced both shoulders and completely penetrated the animal.

Bullet selection makes or breaks any of these fine rounds.

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Depend on what are you going to use it for, exclusively for Africa or not.

I prefer 375 H&H over 458 too. anything 375 couldn't handle (if any) use 416 Rigby.

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I like the big leverguns..with the new Hornady ammo for big thin skinned stuff and the big 450+grain sledgehammers for nasty things

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I have new 458 Win Mag ammo for sale 55.00 a box .

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I'm a BIG fan of the 378 Weatherby/ 375 A-Square.. Flat shooting.. powerful.. and accurate.. For a Big Bore.. The 500 A-Square is unsurpassed.. I worked with Art Alphin in the early stages of the 500 A-Square.. It is an outstanding powerhouse..

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Check the prices on a Ruger gun. The prices may be better then the Winchester. I have a FN Deluxe 458 that I bought for less then $800 years ago. Boy have they gone up.

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I will sell the 458 ammo and Rifle for 600 bucks

10. Auctioneer

what make is the rifle?

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Ruger #1 I bought it about six years ago and I think it,s still like new .

12. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

To most people's surprise, Ruger Magnum rifle (M77RSM) is over $2300. It comes in 375 H&H, 416 Rigby, and 458 Lott. A very well made rifle.

13. MR.ohiogal

MR.ohiogal TS Member

I like the .416 Hoffman as an all around African caliber,, better trajectory than a .458, but still an excellent stopper. With a good stock design and fit, it is surprisingly manageable. I like .458's and offhand the recoil is not too bad, but they are brutal off of the bench. Alot of places here in Ohio, are selling rifles at a good price, due to the economy I would surmise. Get some dies, ammo for the big bores is very expensive, but then again,they're not plinkers.

Good shooting, enjot the big thumper.

Jeff

14. Auctioneer

Look on gunsamerica, auctionarms, and Gunbroker. I saw some from 1000 to 1500 bolts not single shots. That is alot better then 2000. All I did for search was put in 458 win and all makers with that cal came up.

15. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

If you're gonna buy one "big-bore"...(or one to start your collection of dangerous game rifles..)...I'd respectfully suggest a .375 H&H. ABSOLUTELY the finest all-around caliber available. I have both a .375 H&H, and a .458 Win mag. And, I've been fortunate to have enjoyed both in Africa on several occasions. These days, my greatest pleasure comes from casting bullets for them both, and working up fun "lite" loads.

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

While I can't argue how wonderful the 375 H&H is.. if it fights back..I want a 460 Weatherby.. or a 500 A-Square.. when you loose a friend to a rhino because a 400 grain came apart.. you'll feel better about a 600/700 grain monolithic solid..

17. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

18. kenf

kenf Active Member

Thanks for the advice and opinions guys. I think I'll be taking a closer look at the 375.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

458 win mag for sale canada

winchester mod 70 safari express 458 win mag for sale

winchester model 70 458 for sale in canada

winchester model 70 458 win mag for sale