1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Why is my mower surging?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Brigs 3.75 hp. Was working fine, now after the neighbor borrowed it, it surges all the time. Starts fine. Took the cover off and everything underneath looks ok except for one little spring. The hook end is broke off of that spring. I thought it was always like that, but maybe not. Picture forthcoming. I can't see where it was supposed to attach.

2. joe kuhn

Yeah, there's two springs on this gov. One's broke and ones not. I don't get it. Need that parts view. Thanks.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The governor works on the air movement from the fan on the magneto. If the engine slows down the spring pulls the little sail blade in, which makes the carb speed up the engine. That's the other spring.

The above site has lots of pictures. You should be ok with this. Joe, you owe me one,LOL.

HM

4. joe kuhn

I don't know about owing you just yet HM. Those pics aren't very clear and I don't see my dual spring model.

Anyway, I found where the spring is supposed to attach. It looks like a mid range helper spring. It's stays loose until the gov hits about mid range and then it kicks in.

I'm off to the auto parts store, hardware store and then lawn mover shop on Monday if the others can't help me. It's a pretty light spring. Other one that isn't broken is beafier. If this ain't it, it's an internal problem. (Why does the name 'Holga' come to mind when I type that?)

Thanks guys.

Joe

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Joe,

Forget about springs and other technical stuff. Mowers, like toasters made by GE, have individual personalities, just like people.

Your mower is simply in the process of readjusting to your presence, i.e. it's excited to be home. The excitement will wear off in a few days and the mower will again run normally.

Rollin

6. joe kuhn

Could be Rollin. Waiting is an option.

Briggs & Stratton Reliable Starting, 3.75 HP, Family YBSXS.1581VA 274460.

Good thing the Sportsman's Club is between our house and the hardware store.

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Have you remoevd the fuel bowl and cleaned it AND the needle and seat?

Even the best engines get crap in the fuel system, especialy condensation.

Whiz

8. halfmile

Maybe you need Darrel's solution. Darrel was our neighbor. One evening at suppertime we heard this cacaphony of banging and smashing, looked out and there he was obliterating his mower with a sledge.

He drove away, and returned with a new mower about 20 minutes later.

I guess Darrel knows how to deal with stress.

HM

9. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

Never ceases to amaze me on the wealth of knowledge ts.com posters have about lots of subjects. Almost better than Google.

Augie

10. halfmile

This guy was worse! He had a vacuum cleaner quit, fired it down the basement steps.

I would have tried to fix it. Still trying to figure out who's the dummy. His frustration was over in seconds, mine would go on maybe for hours. I get obstinate when I am repairing stuff.

HM

11. joe kuhn

Good idea Whiz. We emptied the gas can the last time we filled the mower and maybe picked up some crud.

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Joe, could your neighbor have added fuel to it and used some mixed with oil for a two-stroke? My son's fiance did that to our pressure washer and that was the result there, too - it loped and surged until I drained that fuel out, let it run until it emptied the flow bowl and refilled it with straight gasoline.

Ed

13. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I've got an old Ariens tractor that I use for snow, with a Kohler KT-17 in it and every time it starts surging or puking on itself I find a little piece of schmutz between the needle and seat.

Brett

14. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I've got an old Ariens tractor that I use for snow, with a Kohler KT-17 in it and every time it starts surging or puking on itself I find a little piece of schmutz between the needle and seat.

Brett

15. smartass

smartass TS Member

unlike the rest of these "experts", I don't have the slightest clue why your mower is surging, but suspect there are dozens of possibilities.

16. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Hey Joe, I have a box of assorted springs in the garage if you can't find the one you are looking for. Let me know, maybe i can meet up with you at Downers or Maywood or somewhere. Good luck, Rodbuster.

17. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I think all of the 3.75 h.p. motors has the plastic carb's on them and really don't have no fuel bowls and stuff like the old ones but we only make the verticle shaft ones so not sure what the horizontal ones has I know we make the metal types for other plant's with the fuel bowl's but all of them has the pressed in jets now days.

I would say it is in the springs also if I was guessing.

You can get a online manual above for free it says 1 per house hold.

I probably had a hand in the gas tank on it if it is the metal type as most days we make around 11,000 to 11,500 per shift.

Foghorn

18. joe kuhn

Just got back to it and took Whiz's lead. Johnny and I took the gas tank off and noticed the tube going from the carb to the motor was loose at the motor end. 1/4 inch wrench did the trick. No new spring needed. I thought that little spring was too light to do much anyway. All we did was put the rest back together. Runs real smooth now.

Thanks guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.