1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O.T. Why do car designers DO that?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Holypatterns, Aug 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holypatterns

Holypatterns TS Member

Why do they do that? I have a chevy pickup that had developed a squealing problem under the hood. It turned out to be that one of the serpentine belt idlers was loose and running at an angle. The idler is mounted on a thru-bolt with collar that fits into the single row ball bearing, but only projects into it about 3/16 inch. A full-length fit would have cost nothing, and would have been much more secure. This is the stationary idler calling for a 15 mm. wrench size. The tensioning idler close to it has a 5/8" bolt head. Same job, really, but different wrench size.

I am proposing that auto designers be required to serve an apprenticeship where the final exam is overhauling an engine or installing a new differential or something equally pleasant while the vehicle is parked in a snowbank. Then they might have an eye for ease of maintenance...and maybe specify all metric or all English measure on all autos, trucks, little red wagons, what have you.

2. chessney

chessney TS Member

I agree with you 100% I'm in the construction field and when I read the prints for a job, I have to stand back and think. Who pays these architects that draws these prints? I think they should have to come out in the field and try to make what they print happen...Just venting...Ziggy

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ziggy, you are right about architects. When I was in the commercial window business these guys would read three or four different compay brochures, then combine the features of different companies. When the specs were picked up for bid purrposes no one could meet the spec. They caused their own problems. Murray

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

...Snowbank heck...I'd be happy if we could just get the designers to set foot in the assembly plant first, for longer than it takes to take a tour and eat lunch...

5. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

well I work at a research center, and have built many prototype cars from a welded shell. Even though they know there is a problem its cheaper to let it go. And this is absolute truth. No manufactures give a rats ass what it takes for the repair. Their only objective is to get it built on the assembly line. They usually have 3 builds before it goes to the assembly line, and sometimes the assembly people come to help with the last build just to know how things are put together. And yes while assembling something I have asked " what kind of jack ass designed this", and he raised his hand!!! Don

6. chessney

chessney TS Member

Good one Don :)...Ziggy

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

A "Team" usually designs a vehicle. It usually takes more than one person to screw it up that badly.

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

how cheap can we build it and will it get out of warrenty, only 2 objectives to manufactures. to this day with all the mega cups from fast food joints, I still cant find a vehicle that fits most cups, I drink my own coffee in a normal coffee cup. when was the last time you saw a holder with slot for the handle. Im a auto tech in a do all shop. Thank you ford gm chrysler with out you I would do mostly tires and brakes. Wheel bearings cooling fan modules front end parts suspension ect ect all fail just out of warrenty. Design is only what will get the ass in the seat.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

GM has many problems with quality, thats just a small one. They were not interested in fixing them so now it is too late it appears

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm different but the number of cup holders or the size have never been a priority for me. I don't eat or drink in my car same as I don't drive in my kitchen.

Eric

11. atashooter

atashooter Member

GM Engineer designing parts...

[​IMG]

12. skeet100

skeet100 Member

We are a society of "college" trained professionals and that means the teacher is teaching, that may or may not be able to do an industry job, a kid how "they" think it ought to be. In some countries, and a few in America, still have the skilled craftsmen and professionals that work their way upnot down. That’s why it costs more for good stuff either from a good American company or from a good foreign maker.

You would think the environmentalist movement would jump on the "throw away and buy another" culture. Seems to me this is far worse than building it right, once or twice in a lifetime.

But then again I notice my thoughts seem to be less and less in touch with "modern" thinking.

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

From the other side of the argument:

I've never designed a car, but my experience designing power plants may weigh in here.

They're under a schedule. Often, a ridiculously tight schedule (the standard joke is, "You want what?....by when?")

They're under cost constraints, not only on the cost of the product, but also the cost of the engineering manpower it takes to design the product.

They have multitudes of different "systems" that all have to work together when the design is complete. The specific item mentioned is probably a sub-part of one system. It may have been number 749 of the top 1000 things we have to worry about.

Often times, they may know there's a better way, but due to other constraints, they're left with the decision of "If it works, don't redesign it. If it simply doesn't work, well that's a different story."

Not saying the process is perfect, but often the designer has a lot of balls to juggle.

14. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Ask any auto tech you'll get the same, response if just once the jerk that designed it had to work on he'd rethink his crappy work or fire himself! I've worked on more shitboxes thatn you can shake a stick at and that the newer stuff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.