1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Why did my fan quit?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by joe kuhn, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Checked the switch with a continuity tester and it is fine. With the switch on my tester beeps. With it off, no beep. It works that way for both high and low switch settings.

Must be the motor. What goes wrong with these little electric motors? Johnny said it was surging right before it quit. Will tear into it tomorrow.

[​IMG]

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

These are shaded pole motors and they are a throw away unit. You may be able to buy replacements from Grainger or Mcmaster Carr. Typically the bushings the rotor rides in wear and the rotor starts dragging the stator. It doesn't take much friction to kill a motor producing a miniscule power output. Someone out there makes a fan replacement kit but I can't remember where I bought some. You can reverse the rotation direction by pulling the rotor out and facing it the opposite direction.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Could be a broken winding. They burn in two. There was a guy around here that would fix windings in old motors. This isn't a cheap fix as its tedious work and is usually reserved for higher dollar vintage pieces where replacements were not readily available like old Juke Box motors(how we used him). He is also slower than a snail. You said its a fan. I doubt it's worth anywhere near what the guy would charge to rework the windings. In other words, It's junk. Toss it.

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

See if there is a Johnstone supply in your area, they will probably have a replacement that will fit right back in there, they used those shaded pole motors a lot for evaporator motors in refrigerators in the past, and most Johnstones will sell to anybody

They have quit using those motors because they are so inefficient and make it harder to cool the evaps, but they are still available

5. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

the dirt and grime can kill them quick

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

So the windings get warm when power is applied? If so, wireguy has it. If not, grntitan gets the gold star.

HM

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Joe-most likely the problem was dirt, the bearings started to drag & the windings burned---these motors are not expensive --get a # , shaft length, shafte diameter , voltage , & rpm--look it up under fractional hp fan motors

Phil Berkowitz

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Anything with power applied will get warm from resistance. You may not always physically be able to detect the heat. When the motor gets in a bind from being dirty or a frozen bearing, the heat increases. It can increase to the point of burning out the winding.

9. joe kuhn

I cut the electrical tape away from the windings and inside is the end of each of the wires coming from the switch.

The brown and blue wires have a tiny wire attached to them going into the windings under the paper tape. The white wire has two little wires going in.

Don't see a problem yet.

[​IMG]

10. joe kuhn

The brown wire is attached to a second white wire, then there's some sort of a white box do-dad, another white wire and then the small wire going into the windings under the paper tape.

[​IMG]

11. joe kuhn

The little white box has some printing on it:

M20

TF 115

08F

and the white plastic tubes where the big wires meet the small ones are shields for the solder joints that holds them together. At those solder points, the continuity tester shows an open circuit between the white and blue wires, but that's it - nothing with the brown wire. And it doesn't change based on the settings of the hi/low/off switches. The small wires going into the windings are shielded because my continuity tester wouldn't beep at all even when I tested it on just one of them.

Next the paper tape comes off.

12. joe kuhn

Hah. Johnny's phone has a much better camera.

Next question is where do these little copper wires go in terms of the windings?

The one attached to the blue wire goes around the outside. One from the white wire, which has two attached to it, goes around the outside as well in the other direction, but the other one attached to the white wire goes down in as does the one attached to the brown wire.

Next for some unwinding - a lot of unwinding. I still don't see a problem visually or with the continuity tester.

[​IMG]

13. crusha

crusha TS Member

Get an 870 with a trap stock, Joe. You've tortured the Topper enough.

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Mash the link. You have multiple wires for the speed selections of the switch. You connect different windings for different speeds.

The article is very informative if you like to know how things work.

HM

15. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I've seen plenty of these motors die that appeared perfect. I've fussed a couple of times with getting them going again without any real success.

16. joe kuhn

halfmile - The blue wire met up with one of the wires attached to the white one. As you suggest, it must be related to a low or high setting.

All that's left is the second wire attached to the white. Will go all the way to the brown ground.

Problem must be an integrity issue. Issue is not visible.

17. joe kuhn

Ended up with a pile of wire and no real answer. HM - your reference is way over my head. Need the basics of electrical motors. Maybe tomorrow. Would be fun to build one.

Thanks for the ideas everybody.

[​IMG]

18. joe kuhn

Shouldn't I have gotten the continuity tester to beep with the ground wire and one of the others at the windings?

[​IMG]

19. trench12

trench12 TS Member

sorry for your trouble-- but you must realize that Obammy is having the same problem!!!! cheers! TG

20. joe kuhn

The brown ground wire at the coil has a little white box in line.

[​IMG]

The continuity tester shows no circuit through that white box. Bingo. Found the problem.

No beep, no joy, no fan. Whatever that white box is, in this case it acted as a fuse. Maybe it is a fuse. Maybe Johnny can shed some light on why it might have overheated and blew the fuse. The kid tends to be hard on stuff. BTW, I did check for continuity on the wire to the side of the white box. It's not shielded like the copper wire in the coil. To one side or the other, I get a beep. Through the box, no beep.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.