1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

o/t Who has maple syrup for sale?

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by new loader, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new loader

new loader Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Looking to buy 1 or 2 gallons of real maple syrup. Anybody have a syrup connection? Paid $30/gal in Ohio last year. Any leads greatly appreciated.

2. locdoc

locdoc Member

0   0   0

Should we surmise that you are in Ohio? I'd hate to tell you what they are getting here in NH. Oh, what the hell!!! $18.00 to $23.00 per QUART. Real bad season.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

0   0   0

http://yodersmeatshoppe.com/

These guys had some on the shelf about a month ago when we were there. I think it was $18 per 1/2 gallon if I remember correctly. They are locate in Shipshewana, IN. Great place to visit if you ever get the chance.

4. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Try these folks. Their syrup will beat anything from Vermont or Canada.

Groveview Farm – Maple Products
    4923 Groveview Ln.
    Hesston, PA 16647
    (814) 658-3678 - Clair Grove
    ccgrove@pennswoods.net

Hornet

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

0   0   0

22hornet............Now I'm not from Vermont or New Hampshire, but I've bought and used plenty of their maple syrup.

There is no way it can be beat..........

So I'm guessing that you might be just a little bit misinformed on the finer qualities of those particular state's maple syrup.

Try some, I'm guaranteeing you'll like it.

Hauxfan!

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

0   0   0

If you have a Costco near you....they carry a Canadian maple syrup. If I remember correctly ... it is around $13 a quart.

7. new loader

new loader Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

locdoc: I am not from Ohio, but that is where I last bought it in larger quantities. Hate to buy those little bottles in the store.

8. locdoc

locdoc Member

0   0   0

I agree. Quarts are the smallest we buy.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

9. 22hornet

0   0   0

Well Haux, my wife's grandparents were life long residents of Newport, Vermont; and my in-laws live in Hanover, New Hampshire. I'm very familiar with New England syrup, as Grandma would send us a gallon of Vermont's finest every Christmas(along with 5 lbs of that most excellent Cabot Chedder Cheese).

I'm just saying that Clair's syrup is every bit as good, if not better than some of that stuff from New England or Quebec. In fact, a few years back, one Vermont syrup processor was busted for adding beet sugar syrup to his "maple" syrup. Caveat Emptor!

10. ctreay

ctreay Member

0   0   0

An awful lot of syrup from northern NY is sold by the bbl to Vermont producers so what you see is not what you may be getting. Kinda like a Chevy made in Korea or Japan.

ctreay

11. Hauxfan

0   0   0

I do know you can't beat good maple syrup.

I gave some to a friend of mine, who had never tasted it in her 60 years on earth, and she could not believe how good it tasted compared to that imitation stuff they sell in the stores.

How about.........great tasting maple syrup is really good no matter where it is made.........

How's that? lol

Hauxfan!

12. 22hornet

0   0   0

Sounds good to me! Try some on homemade vanilla ice cream...guuuuuud!

13. 700X-user

700X-user Member

0   0   0

You VT or NH syrup purists need to pull your heads out of your rectums.

My family and several local produers in my area (NW PA) sell our surplus syrup to either Bascom's in NH or Couture's in VT. Our only decision to make is whoever is paying more per lb.

That VT syrup that you pay $60-$70 dollars per gallon was more than likely blended with syrup from OH, PA, NY, etc.

Bulk syrup is bought and sold by the lb not by the gallon 1/2 gallon or pint. Not everyones syrup is syrup. Syrup is measured with a hydrometer. The density of the liquid is what determines whether it is actually syrup of just "close" syrup. Buyers will blend large quanities of various densities and colors to achieve the product that that want to sell.

2010 was a very poor year for syrup in most of the US. Look for prices to climb this year. The only wildcard in all of this is whether Canada floods the US market. When the prices go up, Canada opens the valves. Canada has a maple syrup reserve not unlike the US's oil reserves.

Ed

14. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

0   0   0

Cincinnati, Oh craigslist under farm and garden. $45 a gallon.

15. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Aunt Jemima.

16. ctreay

ctreay Member

0   0   0

We have a producer on our team. I will see him tonight. PM me your E-Mail I will have him contact you.

ctreay

17. new loader

new loader Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

PM sent. Thank you.

18. Hauxfan

0   0   0

700X-User, That scenario you describe sounds a little bit like Wisconsin Cheese.

A lot of it is made in Iowa and shipped to Wisconsin where they put their label on it.

People think they are buying Wisconsin cheese, and it may taste like Wisconsin cheese, but it was made elswhere.

I would imagine there are a quite a few products that are made that way.

Hauxfan!

19. 700X-user

700X-user Member

0   0   0

Hauxfan,

This has been going on for years. I have had numerous people tell me that they can taste the difference in VT syrup compared to other states syrup. I just look at them and smile. People will believe what they want to. I have no problem with selling our syrup to the larger producers. They have more customers than they can produce syrup for. This relationship is a win-win for everyone involved. I just have to laugh at the people who are paying VT prices for syrup because they think it has some special magic properties just because it came from VT.

My family attended the Internationsl Maple convention in Bar Harbor, ME this last October. This is our chance to meet face to face the people that buy our bulk syrup. We always have a good time ribbing each other about our syrup quality. The most common joke: "This syrup is a little off tasting, better send it to Vermont!" The larger retailers will mix 1 barrel of off flavor with 4 or 5 barrels of good tasting syrup and no one is the wiser.

If the customers would only educate themselves, the bottom of the VT market would fall out. I am not going to cut my own throat! I make money off of VT's high prices. If they didn't sell their syrup, they couldn't afford to buy from me. Ed

20. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I think the real stuff is too thin and nasty tasting! Give me the Aunt Jemima or Mrs Butterworth's...

Who has a deal on Mrs Butterworth's these days?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.