1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Which Garmin GPS

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by dennis b, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dennis b

dennis b Member

Looking to buy a Garmin GPS as a Christmas gift. I want voice. Which model do you recommend? Thanks. Dennis B

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

They all have voice

You might not think you want the screen but get the larger one 4.3 inches- I think you will be surprised

I use the screen and the sound and each gives you a different perspective

Get one with blue tooth and auto dial-= you can locate gas stations or hotels or whatever and call them on the phone - through the bluetooth by just touching the screen of your GPS

we got the 760 and it had those features and play an audio book feature

We got ours from Walmart online at a 250 dollar savings putting it down into the $270 dollar range

3. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

I've got the 760 and it's great, but has options that I don't need. Best Buy has the Nuvi 260 on sale for $299.00 and comes with the mounting kit. Great deal and has all that most people need as far as options.
    Rooferbob

4. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

I have been shopping for the past few weeks and the best prices were from Walmart online. They frequently have specials available as well. My wife has the 350 and loves it.

5. byteme

byteme TS Member

Which model do you think is the best for off road use, which has the best topo maps and is easy to use? I'm looking for one to put in my Jeep. Already have factory units in the daily drivers. Thanks in advance Bill

6. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Dennis, be aware that Garmin charges for any map updates. I went with a TomTom One 3rd Edition and it's outstanding...and free map updates. See radioshack online for a $100. deal. I use mine for business calls about 4-5 times a day. The device has an excellent screen that adjusts for brightness, good battery life, and nice volumne in a loud environment...and when carried by hand..a cool feature is the "My Location" button...handy when you want to pinpoint a nice map view of your location on foot, bike riding, etc.

7. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Just a note, all you see is the screen..bigger is better..everything else is just stuff, I have a StreetPilot 3270 and it is great....down side you do have to pay $59 for upgrades...Grubby

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The Garmin 350 Nuvi is great. But if you don't turn when she tells you to she gets a little annoyed and says "recalculating". HMB

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: TomTom One 3rd Edition and it's outstanding...and free map updates

Where is it listed on their website that map updates are free?

10. bambambam

bambambam Member

I researched for about a month and when i bought I went with a Navigon.It has more features than the rest with 2 years of free map updates.It is faster than either Tom-Tom or Garmin.

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Garmin GNS430W, only $14,000......installed

12. GoldWing

GoldWing TS Member

Check at this website: universalmania.com
    I just ordered Garmin 260 units for my daughters for Christmas @ $147 ea. This unit has the text to speech feature, so you can keep your eyes on where you're going rather than reading the screen when in heavy traffic. I bought this model for my wife last spring and it works great and is very portable, easy to stash when you park. Now we don't have anything to fight about on trips!

13. GRUMPN

GRUMPN TS Member

street pilot 550 Garmin, has bluetooth,screen brightness and voice level control mp3 input. Ric

14. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Old Cowboy, what did you install that on? I just upgraded from a coffee grinder to a navcom thing with a VOR needle. Compared to flying the ADF that vor needle is the cat's meow. I can't imagine your GPS being better than that!!

15. obfd13

obfd13 Member

760 at Costco. $250. Can't beat it.

16. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Joe, regarding TomTOm, when I got mine it came with a insert paper that said I could get a free map upgrade until 12/31/2009. Don't know if the latest models offer it.

Regarding speech: absolute necessity in my opinion. In our traffic here in California, you will not or cannot be looking at a screen and looking for your turn. Really does not matter if it just says to turn or gives the street name to turn..in fact, a rep friend says the software has many mispronounced street names which might be a bigger issue in Ca. where many have a Spanish name. A big plus on a Costco purchase is they have a no questions policy for returns long after the purchase.

17. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Have a Garmin 760 and love it. It's got voice, bluetooth and FM transmitter among other features. You already know about voice, but bluetooth when paired with your bluetooth cell makes calling and answering calls a snap, and the FM transmitter outputs the sound through your vehicle speakers. As a bonus you can download your favorite tunes (MP3 files) into an SD card and play them while you drive to your destination. You might want to Google "GPS reviews" to see the pros and cons of the major brands before deciding. Cesar

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I picked uo the Nuvi 350 on Ebay for under $200, the unit usually sells for close to $400 ... I got everything needed to have it up and working in the car all in the box and they shipped it for free ... It works better than I expected and tells you well in advance when you have to make a turn ... This was new not reconditioned ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Bisi,

A friend of mine just installed one on his '65 Cessna "Super"(180 hp) Skyhawk 172. Amazing little box with features too numerous to mention here among them.....WAAS enabled, IFR approved for random point to point navigation, computer generated glidepath guidance on non-precision approaches........

I don't think I'll get one tho'? My Cessna "Super"(180 hp) 170 is equipped with state-of-the-art (20 years ago) dual NavComms, ADF, DME, Transponder w/mode C, 3 light marker beacon, audio panel & Loran.........and I know how to use it.

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.