1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Which AR to buy?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Aug 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

I am hopeful that I will be able to purchase one of Ruger's SR-556 rifles soon. But...this weekend I had a chance to shoot a couple of different AR clones. What AR clone would you reccommend? And let's try to keep the price reasonable, say around $1,000.

capvan

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

At this time you can buy about any AR for less then 1,000.00 . Seen Bushmasters for $869.00 good stuff

3. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Bushmaster ;-) and DPMS

Make sure the one you get is compliant with your state's laws.

Also, you need to decide between a target type with a long bull barrel and a carbine type with a short barrel

Also important is to consider whether you want a carry handle to be fixed, or detachable or not there at all (my preference).

I like the fold up YHM front and rear sights and a 4X post reticle scope mounted on see through rings that let you see the fold up sights when they are up. This will require a rail riser that costs about 7 dollars.

I also like the Ace Skeleton stock given that we can only have fixed stocks in New Jersey

The Hogue grip is great

If you can find a used one with a JP trigger that will be a good buy because the factory triggers are often crunchy

Make sure if you need it that you have the proper set up under the extractor. Heavy duty spring, little plastic hat and the "O" ring will minimize extractor problems.

I found telephone customer service at Bushmaster and DPMS to be very helpful several years ago.

If you are into accuracy there are lots of fancy barrels and an AR type gun can be very accurate.

Most generic barrels will, however, give you the one minute of human accuracy needed for most situations.

Regards
    Lou (Bushmaster1313)

4. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You will never regret buying a COLT.....Any of the clones just depreciate.

5. 5spd

5spd TS Member

As long as you dont waste $$ on a COLT you will be fine!

They are all about the same when it comes down to it.
    A Bushy/DPMS/R-15/RRA/Armalite all are good to go.
    Get specialized and your cash output is going to be more.

6. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Rock River Arms!!!

7. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

I think the best answer is to buy the used gun on Gunbroker that best fits your personal preference.

Let me add that if you shoot lefty (I did not say if you shoot lefties) you definately want an integral shell deflector which sits right behind the ejection port. The forward assist button in most if not all models goes through the shell deflector.

Some of the post ban DPMS guns, especially the flat top optic ready models, do not have the deflector and they can be very annoying, or worse, to a left hand shooter.

All AR-type guns are annoying to "lefties", but that is for a different post.

8. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

So Smith & Wesson is no good?

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What, exactly, are you going to do with it?<br>
    <br>
    For hunting, particularly coyotes, the Remington R-15 rifle or carbine is an excellent gun. I've had one for some time now, and it's accurate. Rock River also makes a similar series of guns, though they are black. Bushmaster, who makes the R-15 for Remington, also has similar guns in black and camo.<br>
    <br>
    If you want a target rifle, particularly for high power matches, the Bushmaster DCM rifle is very accurate and a good deal for what you get.<br>
    <br>
    If you want a tactical gun, Bushmaster, Rock River, and some others make good guns.<br>
    <br>
    If you are on a budget, there are companies like Olympic Arms, but I would not consider them unless I got a smokin' deal on one. I think it's better to save more and then get a better gun.<br>
    <br>
    You can also piece a gun together using the best components from various manufacturers. I've done this, using new and old parts, to make configurations that are not available. See my thread about my "Retro Dissipator" for an example of an AR15 that you cannot buy, but must build.<br>
    <br>
    As far as the Ruger AR15 clone goes, I recall seeing an MSRP close to $2000 when it was first announced. I think that's grossly overpriced, and given Ruger's inability to copy a Kel-Tec without screwing it up, it doesn't instill confidence that they won't have problems with an AR15. Particularly with a gas tappet rod system that really isn't needed on a semi-auto AR.

10. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Colt would be no better than 5th on my list.

11. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

I purchased an R-15 Remington and with 40 grn. Hornady factory ammo shot 3/4" groups out of the box after breaking the gun in my way. No recoil, you can see the bullet hit and really fun to shoot. Shot coyotes with it last winter and was very satisfied with the results.

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I like my Bushmaster a lot! South Texas pigs hated it..
    [​IMG]

13. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

OK, so Smith and Wesson apparently isn't worth mentioning.

14. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Any of the above,just pick a brand name. Think about how you will use it,how you want it set up,stock style,handguard style,sights,bbl length & go thru the various catalogs or on line to find the one priced where you want. I agree with the "Lefties" comment. Also it is better to stay simple & add accessories as you need.

15. andybull

andybull Active Member

Or this one:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have not seen the Smith version in person, but I have only heard positive over on AR15.com I plan on purchasing a 338 Federal caliber upper from DPMS later this year to wage Jihad on Bambi..and of course Porky too

17. missouriatc

missouriatc TS Member

I have had good luck with RRA and DPMS. A Lot of people like CMMG where I live.
    Prices are down now is the time to buy before they go back up.

18. BMC

BMC Member

I have a CMMG lower and RRA 1.9 upper. Not a single problem with it although I did have some hang up issues with some magpul mags, but never with a metal mag of any brand.

19. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I was disappointed with the Ruger SR...

It is HEAVY and the upper appears to be a standard Cerro Forge upper ('keyhole' logo on the casting).

Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I was thinking something wildly new and innovative, and well, it's just an AR-15...

20. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Milkbone....I have a Smith and Wesson M&P carbine...it is top quality all the way!!!

Ken Rucker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.