1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Which 22LR pistol ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GBatch_25, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Hi-Standard, Ruger, S&W, Browning Buck Mark etc. If you were looking at a 22LR semi auto for general plinking, which would you go for? Any and all input appreciated. If you have one you'd sell, PM me.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

2. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

Loving my Buckmark.

3. Gunn

Gunn TS Member

Buckmark

4. Billetproof

Billetproof Active Member

Have an AMT Lightning (Ruger copy) and a Ruger MKII, love them both!

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Larry and Gunn have the easy choice. Short money for good value.

6. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

I had a Ruger Mark II for 15 or 20 years that I put about 20 thousand rounds through. In all that time, I replaced the extractor once. I sold it and now have a Ruger Mark III that I like even better.

The Mark II shot as well when I sold it as it did new. Would put 10 shots inside a quarter from a rest at 25 yards.

Jim

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I prefer the Buckmark. I have big hands and the grip just feels better.

My second choice is the Mark III, but taking them apart to clean is a challenge. (I should say, putting them back together is a challenge)

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

My Belgian Challenger has NEVER failed to feed in the 45 years I have owned it. You can take it apart for cleaning with a dime. I know they are no longer made, but you can still get them.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I think you get more bang for your buck with a Buckmark. My son and I have Buckmarks, and they digest everything from subsonics to hyper-velocity ammo without any problems. Accuracy is quite good, enough for entry level bullseye competition. The Buckmark is one of those "no excuse" guns. If you miss you have no excuse, because it ain't the gun's fault.

As for the Ruger Mark I and II, I like them. I just like the Buckmark more. What I don't like is the Mark III. The trigger is retrograde compared to the Mk I and II, and the loaded chamber indicator is like a sore thumb. I'd rather buy a good used Mark II target model before any Mark III.

Another difference between the Ruger and the Buckmark is what part is serial numbered. On the Buckmark the frame is serialized, so you can install other barrels on it. The Ruger upper receiver, integral with the barrel, is serialized, so you have to do a 4473 for each barrel change, since they include the upper.

The controls on a Buckmark are very close in location to those on a 1911.

And Buckmark parts are readily available. For example, if you buy a base Buckmark, you can get a target trigger for $10.50 and a target sear spring for $5.

Note that the Buckmarks have three different grips. Click this link to see the differences.

The standard Buckmark is the most universal. At the link, gun #1 and #5 show the standard frame with the rubber and wood grips.

Gun #3 shows the URX grips, which are rubber wrap around finger groove style.

Guns # 9, 10 & 11 sows the UDX grips. The frame on this model has finger groove machined into it.

It is important that you try the grip and frame of the three groups above, because the grips are NOT interchangeable between styles. There are also aftermarket grips available, but they are for the standard frame only.

Optics mounts... From the factory the Buckmark Hunter (#5) and the Contour models (#3 & 4) have built in optics rails. The Hunter will accept a red dot. The Contours have a longer rail suitable for scopes as well. However, ALL Buckmarks can readily accept either aftermarket or factory rails. See page 3 under Accessories at the Mid-West Gun Works link.

View attachment 216161 <br>
    Here is my Buckmark 5.5" Field, which is discontinued. The Contour is the closest model to it now. I had it threaded for a suppressor.

View attachment 216162 <br>
    This is my son's Buckmark Camper Threaded. It was a limited run version from Lipsey's. The threaded barrel was intended for a suppressor, but a compensator could also be installed, like this one.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
  11. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I like my Buckmark, fun little gun and very reliable

12. gotbass

gotbass Member

Took my Buckmark silhouette when sighting in some other guns. 100 yards and with a tremor, 65 year old eyes/glasses and a cheap scope made 3shot group you could cover with a silver dollar. Easily within "minute of squirrel". They eat anything and have great triggers out of the box and doing the "flip" as mentioned above only makes it better. Dollar for dollar, you cannot beat them. Mike

13. Bluedotman

Bluedotman Active Member

H&R Sportsman 999 . Bluedotman
    [​IMG]

14. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

Question regarding Buckmarks.....they make a 7.25" barrel version and a 5.5" barrel version..........What would lead a person to buy one version over the other?

15. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

How about this 1906 H&R, 1 hole group's a 25 yards a real tack driver.
    toolmaker251_2008_0303146.jpg

16. twb999

twb999 TS Member

I have used a Ruger Mark II 22/45 for over 15 years with complete satisfaction. It feeds everything and is accurate. I originally got it as a less expensive training pistol with the same grip angle as my 1911s. It works well for that, too.

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Brian,

Does the suppressed Buckmark shoot as accurately as the OEM gun? Looks like a pretty fun set up.

18. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

How about a Beretta 87

Phil Berkowitz

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I like the autos but if you have not shot a early 60's K-22 S&W revolver you don't know what you're missing...

20. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The Mark II is a lot of reliable, cheap fun and amazingly accurate.

Undoubtedly though, the most interesting and fun 22 pistol EVER was my Dad's 9-shot Hi-Standard Sentinel revolver. The frame was made out of something lighter than aluminum, and yet not quite as strong or durable as plastic. I think it may actually have been some kind of low-grade cheese, and that's where the term "cheesy" originated. Anyway, the Sentinel was very economical because nine rounds in the cylinder usually provided about 12-16 trigger pulls. Plus, on those rare occasions when it did go bang, you not only got the fun of sending lead downrange, but you also got to see the person standing next to you flail around in a crazed frenzy as hot lead splattered off the side of their face :)

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.