1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Where to get custom size ball end mills?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Need ideas on where to get a 53/64" ball end mill. Was going to make weights for my new kolar gun for between the barrels, but it turns out the diameter i need is not readily available. I've already figured out how to make the weights using a drill bit and lathe instead of a mill, but it'll take me 5x as long than if I can just find the right mill. Uncoated HSS 2 flute will be fine.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Find a shop that resharpens end mills. Often they can grind whatever contour you need. I needed some custom radius cutters made, and had such a shop grind them for me.

3. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Skeet_man,

Keep in mind that you'll need to put some kind of rubber strips between the weight and the bbls.

So, is the 53/64" you're looking for the bbl diameter? I would guess that maybe going with a 7/8" dia cutter, then installing the appropriatly thick rubber strip. A quick calculation puts that strip at about .015" thick.

Doug Braker

4. skeet_man

Doug- The 53/64" measurement came from one of the factory kolar between the barrels weights. I'd thought about 7/8", maybe i'll give that a try.

Brian- Thanks for the suggestion, that'll probably be ALOT cheaper than having one made.

5. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Brian is exactly right. Most of those shops have boxes of old cutters that can be sharpened to your dimensions. I have done it many times. Nubs Wagner

6. alpine

alpine TS Member

More than likely they would have a real close ball end mill that size already. After a couple resharpens the end mill would be down to that size.

I made friends with a local resharpen shop and they had tons of end mills that were resharpened and never picked up. I got a lot of end mills for what they would have gotten for scrap steel. A great deal for both of us.

7. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

Takes a pretty stout milling machine to mill steel with a 53/64 dia ball mill. Just sayin...

8. skrap

skrap Member

I agree with Steve NJ. A 2-fluter that size....put a dime betweeh the cheeks of your butt and hang on!!!

Hit'em All

Skrap

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    A two-fluter will work - if you feed the material real sloooooooooooow and have the keyways tightened up. A lot.

10. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Those weights that Kolar offers/offered, were cut on a rise and fall, Cincinatti horizontal mill.

Doug

11. skeet_man

Doug- Thanks for the info. I'd wondered about that, thats what the machine marks looked like.

It looks like i'm going to just get a couple of the kolar weights and mill them down to size, probably easier in the long run than trying to mill my own.

12. 800Shotgun.com

800Shotgun.com TS Member

Ian,
    I will have some made in a few weeks.
    Let me know if you want one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.