1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Where is Mark Spitz

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by striper, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

Seems strange that according to Mr Spitz he was not invited to attend the games that seems exceptionally rude of the USA and CBS. Can anyone explain this over site or have I missed something. He was and is still one of America"s greatest sports figures.

2. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I was wondering the same thing. Man, he is really Pissed off at the US Olympic committee and rightfully so. He was a cocky SOB when he won those medals back in '72 but he won them and that means something. I am curious to hear the reason they come up with for not having hime there at least to provide some color commentary for the mens swimming events.

Jeff

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Pouting

4. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

They are probably still ticked off by the fact they had to drain the pool after he hit his head on the diving platform , and he had to come out of the closet

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

ljutic231

You're apparently confusing Mark Spitz the swimmer with Greg Louganis the diver. Louganis is remembered for hitting his head on the diving board (causing a concussion) during the preliminary rounds of the 1988 Seoul Olympics. He went on to win a gold medal.

Louganis didn't announced his limited interest in girls until 1994.

sissy

6. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Oh, BTW lujtic, NOBODY that I have seen recently even comes close to the perfection on his dives. Don't remember where they drained the pool, can you share your info source? Thanks.

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If memory serves me correctly, Mark Spitz was a fantastic diver...but ... when they tried to make a TV Star out of him after the Olympics...he turned out to be a mumbling, tounge tied dud.

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

3 sides to every story - his, theirs and the truth.

Jay

9. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Ahab -

Spitz was a swimmer (and a good one)not a diver so, no, your memory does not serve you correctly about what he did. As far as the TV bit goes, I am not sure about that.

JK

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Ahab, He was a swimmer not a diver. The diver in question Greg Louganis, now has HIV. Spitz has always been stand-offish.

11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

OK! OK! so I have a slight case of CRS....but I reme,mber seeing him on TV with all those medals around his neck...and...he was a dud on TV!

12. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

If memory serves, Spitz went on to dental school and now has a practice of his own. Perhaps he is too busy to attend the games. Also, Hank Aaron made it very clear that he was not interested in being present when Barry Bonds broke the home run record, even if it happened in Atlanta. He was not present.

As for Spitz providing the commentary, that would be a hoot. They tried that shortly after his record run. He could not string five words together without interjecting "You know" in there. My family still calls it the Mark Spitz School of Public Speaking whenever we hear someone do something similar, although we have yet to hear anyone else as bad as he was.

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

striper you asked "Seems strange that according to Mr Spitz he was not invited to attend the games that seems exceptionally rude of the USA and CBS."

It is NBC but what I would like to know is why would they invite him now? I don't remember seeing him at all the other Olympics since he won the medals. If memory serves me correctly I believe I have seen him once linked to the Olympics since he won those medals.

Bob Lawless

PS as for my Memory it is iffy in the last few years so be easy on me.

14. ismah

ismah Member

Mark Spitz should have been invited regardless if could speak or not. He is a legitimate American sports hero. After his swimming victories he went on to enter sailing competition and he was great at that too. True he sounds like an illiterate when he opens his mouth but did any of you ever hear Joe Lewis speak? How about George W. Bush? Our country is losing it's heroes when we need them most.

15. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I agree he should have been invited, and he got his medals for swimming, not being an orator

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Ahab, what's CRS? Maybe I have it if I don't know what it is!! Something to do with memory, heck what was the question??

17. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I stand corrected on the Hank Aaron thing I put in my earlier post and have edited it. I thought that was the one I was thinking of. I think.

JK

18. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

There was an article in the Sacramento Bee today regarding Mr. Spitz. According to the acticle he is currently a stock broker (I believe he has been for several years). He does do motivational speaking.

He stated in the article that he was not invited. He felt a little left out by that. A person should remember he won a total of 9 gold medals. 7 in 1972, and the seven events he swam in. All in world record times. Yes he appeared to be a little arrogant. But he was a great athlete and a icon in the swimming sport. We all should be proud of his accomplishments. - Jim

19. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

At least some ego comes with the territory. Some show it more than others.

The fact is, he wasn't invited, and he should have been. I agree with ISMAH. We have a very bad habit of throwing heroes and legitimate icons under the bus.

Remember Sgt Alvin York. He tried to enlist in WWII, but was rebuffed. He should have been given a special enlistment or commission, and it would have done wonders for morale; teaching marksmanship to recruits. The army didn't hesitate to do it for Joe Louis.

Best,
    Dennis

20. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I would not compare Spitz to Sgt. York. He was interviewed on TV the other night, and I thought he was an arrogant SOB. He has some goofy book out about being a "winner", bitched about not being "invited" (he could buy his own tickets), and seemed to be a real cry baby about it. It was 1972 for God's sake! Get a life and be a big boy. No one is gonna babysit him, especially the way he acts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what year did mark spitz come out of the closet