Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

o/t where is best trout fishing in lower 48?

3K views 28 replies 24 participants last post by  atashooter 
#1 ·
Go farther North to the Big Sky State. Big Hole, Big Muddy, Madison, Yellowstone, etc etc.

#3 ·
If yuou're a fly fisherman, it doesn't get much better than this http://www.adventuresinflyfishing.com/fall.htm We are talking big rainbows from this river, 24" plus, and in the spring, browns in the 5-6lb. range are caught. It's fly fishing for the purist, and a real challange for the more experienced fly fisherman... Dan Thome (Trap2)

#4 ·
If you like small flies and big rainbows and browns try the missouri river above Craig Montana. You will have blizzard hatches/spinner falls of tricos evry morning and superb midge fishing at dusk. For a change up you can fish hoppers during the heat of the day. I do it almost every year and it has been very consistant. jess

#6 ·
I'd suggest basing in West Yellowstone, MT. There are lots of guide services there, and you are a reasonable distance from the Henrys Fork, South Fork of the Snake, and Henrys Lake in Idaho, the Madison and the Big Hole in Montana, and the Madison, Firehole, Yellowstone, etc. in Yellowstone National Park. You could fish from there for a season, nevermind ten days, and not exhaust the possibilities.

#7 ·
Montana. Clark Fork east of Missoula. Any of the Three forks rivers. Idaho, The Coeur d'Alene, The Pak, The Snake, The Salmon, The Clearwater, The Lochsaw. The list goes on and on. Flathead Lake, Lake Coeur d'Alene, Lake Pend Oreille. Again, the list goes on and on...

Shawn

#9 ·
Now this is a great question and it will be neat to see how many pick the same areas. I used to live in Gunnison Colo and had the Gunnison river literally in my front yard. If you guys know that area at all, I had the first piece of private property just below the joining of the East River at Almont where the Taylor River start the Gunnison. There were plenty of fish in my front yard but I went to Montana for the fabulous beauty of the state and fabulous fishing for real quality Bos and Browns.I would rank my favorite in two catagories. 1. Pure Beauty is the Box Canyon of the South Fork. For sheer flyfishing heaven thats the place and there are some great rainbows in the water as well. However, wading there was really tough. Like walking on greased bowling balls.2. For the most incredible actual catching it would have to be the Big Horn at Ft Smith Mt. I fished it the second year the Crow Indians opened it to outsiders and for 13 years thereafter for great trips and memories. All the other areas mentioned in the above posts are equally great waters these two just happen to be my favs. Looking forward to other posts

#10 ·
you have been given plenty of excellent locations to choose from.

what you have NOT been given is current information.

BEFORE you book your trip, please call ahead and get the latest fishing conditions, especially if you plan a trip to Montana - the water conditions up there this year are critically low, there are likely to be MANY river closures due to high water temperatures and low flows.

If it were me, I would look just a little further north and consider the fishing options in southern alberta and south east BC.......technically not lower 48 but maybe better fishing conditions THIS YEAR.

good luck with your trip, i envy you. it is always fun to plan one of these adventures.

#12 ·
Tron, we got charter captains down here that will guarantee you catch a fish or you don't have to pay for the service. It's just that they don't tell you what kind of fish you will catch. Great fishing down here in S. Fla. but you won't find the the kind of trout you are looking for. Fishing is just good whereever you are, just enjoy. Jeff

#14 ·
tron, for all the skill it takes to catch a fish in one of those ponds you might as well shoot 'em. oh, i forgot. you couldn't hit water if you fell out of a boat. :)

sometimes fishing is about fishing and not catching. at least that's what the losers that can't fish worth a damn tell me.

dusty - i was serious. call ahead and get the latest info before you book your trip and get another source to verify. outfitters are not the most scrupulous bunch.

#16 ·
I enjoy fishing for pretty little native Brook trout in upstate Pa., They are small on size, but big on fight. A good one is about 7 inches, but once in a while you can catch larger ones. Even the tiny ones dart out from under rocks an nail your fly for a good battle. It's funny when you see the size of the little bugger, because you'd have thought you were fighting a 12 incher. The Pa. fish commission sell maps showing all the state waterways. I've fished mostly in Tioga and Potter counties, but there's trout streams in every county. The fish commission stocks hatchery trout in the spring, but my favorites are the little streams upstate in deep woods with natives.

#18 ·
I just talked with a colleague who used to guide out of West Yellowstone, and asked who he would recommend. He said Bob Jacklin, and Craig(?) Matthews from Blue Ribbon Fly Shop have both been established since he was a kid, over thirty years in business each, and have outstanding reputations. Either would be an excellent choice. This colleague is a mathematician who has published some very well-received studies on trout ecology in the Yellowstone area, and who worked as the Research Director for the Henrys Fork Foundation before he came to work at my University.

#24 ·
Like most other folks: Montana! But to Devil's Advocate: Arkansas' White River is real good for browns. But nothing compares to Montana except maybe the Quilcene River in Washington State. I'm prejudiced. I got my once-in-a-lifetime coho on the Quilcene with a six weight rod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.