1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T What's up with my dog?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shootrman, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

O/T What

I believe my GoldenDoodle is gonna have her puppies tonight. All day she has been carrying a stuffed toy and protecting it from me. I am shocked, she has growled at me all day. I speak, I move, or even look at her she growls. If I go near her she starts to snarl. My wife comes home, sits with her, pets her, lays in her w helping box with her and she's relatively fine. I just don't get it. I told my wife I don't want to force anything on the dog, I'm sure she's hurting and stressed out enough so I'll let her go. At this point I don't think she'll even let me near the pups. This is a tough one

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Keep us in mind for baby picture : ) I'm sure they are going to be the cute lil boogers!

3. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Are Alpha males a threat to litters in the wild? Might be natural instict kicking in.

4. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

This night shift is getting old. It's 2a.m. and still no pups. CalvinMD I'd love to show pix if and when they arrive but I don't know how to do that. Maybe I can sent them way of email to someone smarter than me for them to post. Only a thought

5. hera200

hera200 Member

You have had a problem with your dog all along, you just didnt recognize it. It takes certain stressors to bring out the fact that you dont own a dog..the dog owns you. When a dog finds themselves in a position where they are leader of the pack, it is a very difficult position for her since she does not really know how to be a proper leader to people..she was never meant to. Dogs will revert to behaviors that are common to the wolf pack when finding themselves in this position and this is the source of a great percentage of aggression problems in our dogs.

We do our dogs a great disservice when we allow them to do as they please and we do not realize just how much pressure this places on their shoulders. Dogs were meant to be a working partner to man and a dog who has no work is essentially emotionally lost. This does not mean that they have to do the specific job(s) their breed was meant to do.The every day obedience exer cises taught to a degree of excellence (100 percent reliability) will suffice perfectly as the dogs work when practiced regularly.

There is so very much more to be discussed in this case and do not expect this behavior to disappear after the pups although it is a possibility, but it will still be there under the surface. Try to find a very high quality trainer in your area (preferably someone who has excelled in AKC competition) and be ready to spend time and money to achieve a relationship withyour dog where you become the senior partner. Both you and your wife should participate fully in the process and it should begin with the training sessions taught in your home since that is where the true problem began and still resides...BUD

6. CalvinMD

Sure shooterman..will PM my email to you and I'd be happy to post them for you

7. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

Within 5 hours of my dog carrying around the "stuffed animal " she had her pups.

Doug

8. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Hera200, what you says is absolutely 100% right on. I have trained dogs ( mostly hunting ) most of my life (far from a pro). Perhaps I was to much of a push over for this dog. She is the perfect family pet, extremely well behaved, great with people children and pets. Has never destroyed anything in the house. She shows food aggression with me only but never bites me. We have had her to a professional trainer, sent here away for 6 weeks. Just can't seem to shake the growling part. During the daytime hours she literally goes everywhere with me. There are many dogs with great noses, this is one of the best I have ever had. Little on the small side ( for me)at 48 pounds but what a delight. And the BEST part she DOES NOT shed.
    Dougbbbb, that is exactly what our Maelee did. About 12 hours before the puppies started she carried her stuffed Giraffe with her.
    CalvinMD, pics are on the way. Thank You! Your the best. Sure is gonna be a real chore to sell off 10 puppies. Oh I failed to mention that part. As of my last writing (2a.m.) nothing. It started at 3a.m.,
    And they kept coming and coming. 10 bundles of joy! 6 boys and 4 girls. All healthy. It was a long night but worth it

9. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

congratulations! dad

pictures

pictures

pictures

dave

10. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Dave, please bare with me. I sent picture to a gentleman smarter than this old farm boy. He offered to post them. Thank you for your interest and your kindness. They are simply a delight.

11. gotbass

gotbass Member

What breed of dog is dad and have you a idea of price for the pups? Mike

12. dave-320c

Rich

No pressure intended; just sounds like you did a nice "hybrid".

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Again, congratulations, poppa.

BTW, our pooch is a standard poodle, so I personally think your "hybrid" is spot on.

Regards, and good shooting,

Dave

13. CalvinMD

Here you go : )
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Dave-320c, I'd love to see a pix of your dog. What size? The stud we bred our Doodle with was knee high and about both being about 48 pounds. The male was reddish in color. I like the idea that your close to Penna.

15. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Here is another concern of mine. Maybe I worry to much! The mother continues to carry her stuffed giraffe toy with her when she comes out of her box, either to eat, drink, or potty break. Since this seems to be a security blanket of sorts, I was told I should take this from her because in time the pups may play with it and may want possesion of it and harm the pups. Your thoughts

16. dave-320c

Shootrman

Congratulations again. Fine looking bitch and pups.

PM sent.

Dave

17. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

CalvinMD I can't thank you enough for posting my pictures. You are the BEST! I hope some day in a finals of a championship shoot-off I can be your score keeper-giggle.
    Also want to thank everyone showing an interest in our puppies. Thank You
    Rich Hildenbrandt
    Shootrman795@aol.com

18. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Super cute pups and mother

I have always toyed with the idea of crossing a Great Dane with an Airedale

All the Danes we have had were gentle and very smart

All the Airedales we have had were tough and brain dead

Thought it would make a good combo, but I'm also glad my wife put her foot down on my dumb idea

19. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Catpower, thanks for your kind words. Oh, & thank you for listening to your wife...lol

20. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Cute puppies, nice dogs - but why did you breed? For money, for fun? Back yard breeder or professional kennel?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.