1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T What's the beef about Ruger Mini 14?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by new loader, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new loader

new loader Member

There was a comment recently in an unrelated thread about a major drawback to the Ruger Mini-14. Don't remember the exact context, but seems it was about .223 ammo vs NATO or something like that. Anybody remember?

2. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Even though not having shot my ranch model .223 extensively, I've found it not exceedingly accurate. Planning on working my own loads up and REALLY finding out if it will shoot.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I don't get what you mean by beef. I own one and it's a great shooter. I'll put it up against anything similar (not a Match/NM grade) @ 100-200 yds. It's not a 600-800 meter gun or competition gun. Ammo? Mine will handle .223 and NATO stuff with no problems. Even cycled that cheap steel WOLF crap through it without an issue. That cheap stuff is not all that consistant and tends to have some flyers. I have mine scoped and tuned in with Black Hill .223 55 gr. pointed soft points. It's a shame I can't varmint hunt with it here in PA. It would make a good shooter. Recently tried to pick up another factory high cap. mag.(20 rd), WOW, the price is way up on factory mags. Don't own any aftermarket ones always heard of cycling problems with them. I passed on $$$ mags., glad I bought what I did when I did.

4. Dave90T

Dave90T TS Member

The Mini-14 has leade for and is chambered in 5.56 NATO. These were issued years ago to Marines on Embassy duty (obviously loaded with 5.56 NATO), and the note about safely using 5.56 NATO is mentioned in the owners manual. There is no "beef" or problem with 5.56 in the Mini 14, so "the beef" is simply misinformation.

The older models are not known for their accuracy (hit or miss, pardon the pun, depending on the rifle), but the new Mini-14's can, with the right load and a scope, turn a tennis ball into tennis shreds at 300 yards. Been there, done that. Among other things Ruger did when they upgraded the Mini was put a different RoT in the barrel - making stabilization of 62-70 grain bullets effective..I believe the new RoT is 1-9.

5. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

What's the problem; of course the rifle is not too accurate to begin with, it's a fun gun, and one ought to work up a handload in any case. This thread seems like complaining sort of like..."my Prius accelerates too slowly"...

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    There is no problem shooting 5.56 NATO in a Ruger "Mini-Blaster". However, I have yet to see a Mini-14 that can hit a tennis ball consistently at 100 yards, much less 300 yards. Perhaps the new one with the match grade barrel is up to par, but I'm not going to waste my money finding out. There is far more potential in the AR15 than with the Mini-14 any day of the week. The best thing I can say about the Mini-14 and Mini-30 is that they are in the SKS class but are made in the USA.

7. bill1269

bill1269 TS Member

I have owned a few mini-14 and I have never seen one that will shoot good.Do your self a favor before you buy one and just go ahead and spend the extra cash on a bushmaster Varminter,you won't be sorry.It will shoot right with most bolt guns,I shoot one in 200-400 yard egg shoots and it hangs right in the top of the pack and I am sure it would do better with a better shooter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.