1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - What to do when someone goes back on word?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, May 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

As many of you know, I am in the business of painting gunstocks, reloading supplies, cleaning rods, etc. I had a friend who let me use a certain piece of equipment @ his business. I offered to pay him, but he said feel free. He said, "I wish you the best, and anything I can do to help!" He recently hired a General Manager to run his business. The General Manager didn't like me using it. The General Manager said something to me, and I told him the owner gave me permission. He said, "the owner isn't running this business, I am! What should I do? Should I suck it up and go on? Confront my friend that is the owner? I need some help here guys, I don't want any bad blood with anyone! All opinions needed,
    Matt - Woodson Enterprises

2. TC

TC TS Member

Talk to the owner, tell him what the guy told you. As the owner it is his call, no one else.

3. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I do not use it during their business hours. The owner gave me a key to the business! I use it after the business closes down.

Matt

4. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Mr. Charles,

By saying confront, I just meant talk to the owner. Thanks though!

Matt

5. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Steve,

I see what you are saying, and glad you mentioned it. Maybe the owner doesn't know?

Matt

6. Juno

Juno TS Member

Maybe the GM didn't like the fact that you changed your name. Your story is somewhat vague. I think there is more to it then what you have given us.

Juno, formerly known as juno

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Your agreement is between you and the owner. Not with the general manager. Seek resolution with the owner.

8. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Juno,
    Well the story isn't vague. The GM had commented to me once before about it. So therefore, I took it as he didn't like the situation. Then this happens. What is one to assume?

DB Bill,
    I am going by to talk to owner (my friend) in the morning. I will post what he tells me.

Matt

9. nipper

nipper TS Member

being the gm he was doing his job, still contact only the owner though.

bill

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You are putting your friend the owner in a bad position. You are making him choose between you and the GM he has hired to run his business. You are only one side of the story yet you bring it here and you bring it here as if someone broke a promise. Be thankful you got to use the machine for the time you did and move on. Nobody knows the GM's side.

Don

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

BIGDON is 100% correct. Thats the only way to deal with it

12. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Sorry, I can't agree that you should move on. For the owner to give you a key to his business, he is either a very good friend or a fool. I'm going to assume it's the former and not the latter. If I was the owner and you are that good a friend of mine, I would tell the manager you have a my permission to be there after hours and if he doesn't like it he can turn in his keys and move on. I'm also assuming you leave the place the way you found it each time you've been there. If not, then you should move on. There are a lot of very capable unemployed manager types out there in today's labor market that could replace this guy.

13. nipper

nipper TS Member

being the gm he was doing his job, still contact only the owner though.

bill

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You are putting your friend the owner in a bad position. You are making him choose between you and the GM he has hired to run his business. You are only one side of the story yet you bring it here and you bring it here as if someone broke a promise. Be thankful you got to use the machine for the time you did and move on. Nobody knows the GM's side.

Don

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

BIGDON is 100% correct. Thats the only way to deal with it

16. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Sorry, I can't agree that you should move on. For the owner to give you a key to his business, he is either a very good friend or a fool. I'm going to assume it's the former and not the latter. If I was the owner and you are that good a friend of mine, I would tell the manager you have a my permission to be there after hours and if he doesn't like it he can turn in his keys and move on. I'm also assuming you leave the place the way you found it each time you've been there. If not, then you should move on. There are a lot of very capable unemployed manager types out there in today's labor market that could replace this guy.

17. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

As already been mentioned seek out the owner and return the key to him. Mention to him that even though the GM has asked you to no longer use the equipment and you do not wish to create problems you wanted to give the key back to him, the owner since he is the one who gave you the key in the first place. At this point it is all in the owners hands to deal with the situation as he sees fit.

Now lets just look at this from the GM's side ...

He was most likely hired to run the business so that the owner would not have to deal with it but still reap the benefits of ownership. The new GM probably has the responsibility of making a profit and he knows that they could most likely be doing what your doing for yourself and he could be making money off of doing it for you which is his job to do for the owner. He might also be worried about you being in there after hours and getting hurt which even though the owner gave you permission it is his butt on the line as General Manager. He could also just rather not want you in the place and thats it.

18. Bridger

Bridger Member

How much are you using this equipment? If its a lot, you should probably either again offer to pay for its usage or just buy your own and move on. Either way, its the owners call but if I were the owner, I'd be concerned about liability etc, with a non employee on his premises using company property. That may be a concern of the general manager too.

19. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Just talked to owner. He apologized and said it was causing problems. The key was returned, and no hard feelings! Anybody have a benchtop lathe for sale?

Matt

20. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

To all, I forgot to mention in last post. I appreciate all of your comments and concerns. This is a great place for advice and suggestions! I consider you all dear friends!

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.