1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T What time is too early to go duck hunting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sglfr45, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

Hello all and Merry Christmas,

Been invited to my first duck hunt on Saturday and Sunday. Need some interesting advice. I usually stay up until 10 pm on work days and 1 am on weekends. I have to be up at 3 am to go hunting. Is that too early for a duck? Should I just stay up, or go to bed early? Need advice, Matt

2. razor

razor TS Member

august

3. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

It's never to early to go duck hunting !!!

4. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

I guess the proper answer would be to ask the duck LOL

5. coyote_198

coyote_198 TS Member

If you can't solve that problem yourself maybe you should not be out with a gun.

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

Stay up all night ... do not go to sleep and be sure to quit drinking the night before you hunt or at least not past midnight Friday night and when you get out to the duck blind be sure you ... well ... I'm sure your friends will break you into the initiation rituals of the duck blind. Just for clarification purposes though you are allow to where and keep on a jock strap so the junk aint just a blindly swingin.

7. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I hate going to bed early and getting up early. When I hunt with other hunters I play their game and get up at the buttcrack of dawn to go duck hunting. When I go by meself I get up at my usual time then go duck hunting. I have just as many great duck hunts doing it my way. If you are in a good spot you don't have to be there when the sun first comes up.

8. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Go to bed early and be in your blind at sunrise. Simple.

9. Chip

Chip TS Member

It's posts/questions like this that confirm we have some Skeet Shooters in this forum.

10. YODA100

YODA100 TS Member

Whenever your state game department says it is ok.

11. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

If I had my old duck club back we would be leaving today to shoot next year. It's never too early to go duck hunting. Seriously, be respectful and plan on being in your blind 15-30 minutes before shooting time. Many shooters show up at shooting time or 15-30 minutes late, make a lot of noise, put out their decoys and then get upset because they went home "skunked". Michael

12. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I really wonder sometimes about some of you people.

13. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

My favorite duck hunts. I get there shortly after sunrise. I pattern the ducks and find out where they are working today. Better yet is I jump a few hundred ducks from the exact hole they are using that day. That is where I put my decoys out. Then after being the first to limit out I drive my boat past all the groups of hunters that got up at 3 or 4 in the morning and put their decoys out in the dark. That is the perfect day in the duck blind. Last one in, first one out with a limit of ducks.

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, get up early enough to take a crap. Ever fart in neopreme waders? Whew! A roll of toilet paper helps too.

15. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

Well, we are hunting on public land so we have to be there to get a good spot. I am excited. Is this going to be an addiction like trapshooting? Matt

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Pour out your last beer at sunrise, get in your blind and eat some cold boiled eggs and sardines and get ready to lay down some thunder.

17. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

It is suppose to be fun not a job.

18. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

lol@august posted above

I think it Depends on the duck

Mallard- get up early

Meganser(sp)-- sleep in late

Divers- sleep in nearly as late as Megansers(sp)

Canvasback- stay up all night for

regards from Iowa

Gene

19. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Late in the season we will purposely wait till 10:00. The ducks are smart by then and will come in late. All the rookies will be back home. You'll have them all to your self, and no one else will screw up your set, or skybust your birds.

20. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

So far, everyone has missed the point.

It's not what time you need to get up to get ducks. Not at all.

IF YOU HAVE BEEN INVITED TO GO ON A DUCK HUNT, AND YOU HAVE ACCEPTED, THEN YOU GET UP EARLY ENOUGH TO BE READY WHEN YOUR HOST WANTS YOU TO BE READY!

If you don't want to get up that early, then decline the invitation.
    Gift horse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.