1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T What is a good load for Sporting Clays?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Jack, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Yes, I know this is TS.com but I know there are a lot of moonlighters out there. I've never shot at Forrest City in Savannah before and wondered what the course is like also if anyone knows. Suggestions for loads please. Jackie B.

2. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

1 oz. of #8s Good for all but longest targets or rabbits (7 1/2s). Best Regards, Ed

3. Loyac

Loyac Member

Fiocchi 1 oz Little Rhino's at 1250 fps, #8. John

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

If I had to stick to one load, it would 1 oz of 8s at 1215/1225fps. But, I also make a shell for skeet shots and find it quite suitable for close in sporting shots - that is 7/8 oz of 9s at 1235 or so. In fact, I break most of my rabbits with the weenie load up to 30 yards or such. I have an A class sporting neighbor who loves my 7/8 oz load so much he designed his own using 8s at 1250fps and has astounded many a squad mate with it's effectiveness and light recoil; allegedly even out to 50 yards.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. skeetiee

skeetiee Member

1oz 71/2's 1250 will break any taget that you will ever seen at any sporting clays shoot!!!!!

6. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Those are all good loads but if you want one that is exceptionally good for Sporting Clays and will take out any of those targets that fall in that category, here's one of the loads that pattern the best.
    1 1/8 oz of 8's or 7 1/2 depending on the range or the type of target, pushed by either 27 gr of 7625 or 26 gr of WSF, Winchester wad, hull and primer. Either of these two will clock in consistently at 1300 fps, we were talking Sporting Clays weren’t we?

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I don't know what the course is like up there, but have shot at 3 different courses by me. One has two different courses and the other 2 have only one. All 3 have a short course so to speak. I use a IC choke for the whole course. You can use chokes from clyinder,skeet,IC, and Light Mod. is the normal choices for shooting from the different stations. I like to use 3 boxes of my favorite 16 yard target loads for most of the shoots, and I like two boxes of 1250 loads with 7 and one/half shot(maybe faster). Alot of Sporting clay shooters use very fast loads of 1350 or more. You have to remember that there are 3 different types of targets used in Sporting clays. The standard target used in trap and skeet the l08 mm. target. High profile on side and easy to break the edge of (not thick), than they have two smaller targets. I don't remember the exact size of these, but like a 90 mm. and a 75 mm. target. The middle size has a thin profile with very thick edges(hard to break) so that they can bounce off ground like a rabbit and make it arch and curve in flight. and the smallest target that is just moving at the speed of light away from you and hard to hit as well. That is why they like the speed to break these hard edge targets. It has been noted by many sporting shooters that they have found many targets with 3 or 4 holes on ground that did not break even after hitting the ground. You do have to try Sporting it is very fun. Break-em all. Jeff

8. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Since I come from a trap background I shoot a 3 dram #8 load, but most of my Sporting buds shoot 1oz 2 3/4 dram #8 on everything but 50 yarders. New Rem 1oz are 1185 fps and pattern good. Our competition courses require a LM choke on most stations. Some are IC, but we prefer to stay w/ 1 choke. Seldom see choke tube changes. Since I recently changed to a 1oz #8 load @ 27 yards, my faith in the 1oz'r is growing. Helps keep the head down. Most sporting pros only shoot 7 1/2's if they have a target with slow to no spin or rabbits.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I'm not keen on #9's for sporting clays. They dusted too many of the tougher built clays. Did fine on normal trap clays and fragile minis and rockets, though. Maybe if I carried more shells and kept them seperated for presentation, #9's might work better.<br>
    <br>
    #8's have worked pretty well, though they have failed a couple of times on the tougher clays at range. It simply takes more of them to break a clay. But that was out of a lot of shells fired.<br>
    <br>
    I've never had 7-1/2's fail to break a clay if it was hit by a couple of pellets. If it doesn't break with 7-1/2's, it ain't the pellets that are at fault.<br>
    <br>
    As for choke, most of our presentations work with IC. I might go with a light mod. I've used a mod, but it's too tight for close crossers and fast rabbits.

10. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

1 oz of 8's 35 yards and closer, 1 oz of 7-1/2's at rabbits and any other target over 35 yards.

11. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Please remember that this thread is for a good load for Sporting Clays and that at State, National and World events in this discipline, the average break point for Sporting targets can be at 55 to 85 yards or longer. Light loads do not have the kinetic energy at that yardage to consistently break those targets. If you go up on this thread you will find a load that can pattern 65 to 85% at 65 yards and break those targets consistently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best 1 oz sporting clays load
best choke for sporting clays 1 oz loads

best load for sporting clays

best sporting clays load
sporting clays 1oz loads
what is a good load for sporting clays
what is the best load for sporting clays