1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

o/t what hand gun for the night stand?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mike T, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

Ify you had ahoice of a 357 revolver or a 45 auto which would you put un yout night stand?
    thanks mike t

2. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

In my case, it is an 870 under the bed. But I suppose if limited to a pistol, I would take the revolver. Less complicated in a dangerous situation. Jake

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Noah Herron of the Green Bay Packers just used a bedpost he unscrewed, Bashed the Afro-American burglars head in.

Made a mess of him he had to have a tracheotomy in addition to repairing a broken jaw.

They showed him on TV News last night with his jaw all wired, I guess you don't really need a gun if your bedpost unscrews.

The burglar's lawyer tried to make him look bad asking him why he hit the guy so many times. I was rolling on the floor.

HM

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Sig P220 45 acp on one night stand, Browning BDM 9mm auto on other, Beretta 303 with 3 dram 1 1/2 #4 by bed. Ever room on main living area level has gun somewhere. Those are all SW 38 revolvers

5. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Well, I guess nobody wants to answer your original question which was "If you had ahoice of a 357 revolver or a 45 auto which would you put in your night stand?" Everybody has told you what they use but not what you asked for. Given a choice of only a 357 and a 45, I would opt for the 357. The only reason being the mechanical reliability of a revolver over a semi auto. The 357 also allows the use of 38 Spl if the shooter desires as well as 100% functional reliability with the safety types of ammunition on the market (Glaser and others)designed to eliminate over penetration in a home shooting scenario. Semi autos are sometimes finicky with ammo and a revolver isn't. I wnat to know the gun is going to go bang each time the trigger is squeezed and not only the first time.

Jeff

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

A revolver is always more reliable. If it's dark and you know how to use a knife I would prefer the knife. No noise cocking or moving a safety. More fatal in low light than a misplaced shot. Just my opinion. Joe

7. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I had an occasion where someone was trying to jimmy the lock on my back door. The distinctive sound of a round being chambered in my 1911 was enough to send him or them packing. My response to your question is, use whatever you are competent and comfortable with, some people are obviously very capable with a bed post. There is far to much room for argument regarding ballistics so stick with what you know.

Robert

8. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

686 Smith 357 with wadcutters. Roy

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

A surgicly sharp mini Samuri Sword and a Browning high power with Blitz action trauma rounds in a 25 round mag.

One wooden wedge slipped under the heavy bedroom door from the inside requires the door to be literally kicked off the hinges to gain entry.

10. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Kimber Custom 1911 .45; Winchester 185gr Silvertips; 8 rounds in mag, one in chamber. Cocked and locked, just like Dr. Browning meant it to be used.

Preferred over the .357.

Nothing wrong with the .357. Just my preference.

Second gun is a Glock 27, .40 S&W.

Best,
    Dennis

11. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

shannon 391, you do that every night? I gotta get up a couple of times a night to get something out of the fridge. That would be a lot of work putting and taking that wedge out 2 or 3 times a night.

Go with the 357 on top of the night stand and put the 45 in the night stand.

12. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

The .357 Mag. revolver is nice but it limits you to six shots. For me it's a .45 High Capacity loaded with Glazer rounds, & Hydra Shock. I like the idea of more fire power than six rounds. A revolver is a little harder to reload than the semi-auto because you need to dump casings where the semi-auto does it for you. Yes, I've carried and shot thousands of rounds of both the .357 and the .45 ACP.

As an added attraction the advice above is very good. Adding a shotgun to your inventory is a recommendation. #4 or 00 Buck will get a job done. Remember trouble is coming to you and you also need a plan if you have children, and live in a populated neighborhood. Having a family plan prepared prior to an intrusion could help save the lives of your family members. Feel free to e-mail. Michael

13. spritc

spritc Active Member

You're awakened in the middle of the night, you are half conscious, do you really want to screw around with a semi-auto and have to think and then get shot while you're thinking about what to do. Get your .357 out and put it on your night stand at bed time and be prepared to use it, not much thinking other than knowing your target.

JMHO,
    Steve

p.s. don't forget to go to the range and know your handgun, whichever you choose.

14. A Sparks

A Sparks Member

.45 Auto for me. 30K rounds a years when I was shooting USPSA has me more comfortable with it the a revolver.

15. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

The Taurus Judge would be my choice - it's named for the people who bought a bunch of them when they came out. This revolver shoots either .45 or .410 shotgun - a very interesting combination.

16. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

CubanCigar, Where the hell do you live? In the middle of the most dangerous section of Washington, DC or Detroit? Do you expect some kind of invasion?

17. mike T

mike T Member

forgot to mention, an 870 with 4-00 is in the closet next to the bed. and I agree if I heard pump action I would think strongly about turning around. Also I think the shotgun would be my first choice for a rabid animal.

18. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

Do not doubt the reliability of the .45 ACP, cocked and locked is how it is around my house. I have also shot that same gun at least once a month for thirty years 25 right handed 25 left handed. If it is in that condition you should be prepared to use it. If it is left uncocked but a full mag, you may not have to use it just pull back the slide in the dark and let it slide to battery then follow the trail of poop from where the perp was hiding, and you also have your DNA sample. Do the PC thing and call 911 before you take action and think of what you are going to say by the time they get there if you do shoot. Go Well Wayne PS: my wife also shoots her .45 once a month

19. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

How about a Taurus Judge, .410 shotshell or 45 long colt---If this can't get the job done, you're out of luck!!!!

Lou

20. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

S&W Mdl 66 4" 357 by the bed, Rem 1100 loaded with 1 7/8 oz T shot copper plated lead in closet and 2 Springer Spaniels on guard duty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.