1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T We're back (motorcycle racing)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ec90t, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

O/T We

For you motorcycle racing enthusiest out there, we're back on the world scene.

It's been quite some time since the US has had a legitimate contender on the world road racing scene, but that has ended. Ben Spies, 3 time AMA Superbike champ has won 3 out of the first 4 races in World Superbike racing. The US hasn't had a threat like this since the mid 90's when Scott Russel went overseas on the Muzzy tuned Kawasaki.

Ben had won 3 consecutive championships for Suzuki here in the US, but they let him get away. Ben signed with Yamaha last year so he could race on the worlds stage. It seems as if it was a marriage made in heaven. It would be nice to have the US as the country were the best hail from. This hasn't been the case since the early 90's.

If you haven't had a chance to watch this young 24 year old ride, check out the next World Superbike Race (WBK).

ec90t

2. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

ec90t it's ok to watch but have you tried it yourself(Racing) if you haven't I highly recommend it, however it's highly addictive. And it's nice to see a American give them a spanking LOL. All they see is back fender and after awhile they don't even see that.

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I'm glad to see that under new management some traditions of AMA racing have continued. I'm speaking of course, of the lights going out in the chicane late the first night running of the Daytona 200. That must have been exciting!

Neil

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Sarge75X,

My racing as a rider is limited, but I wrenched on a few. The bikes I wrenched on won a few national championships in the early to mid 90's on the WERA circut.

The reason for my limited experience as a racer is due to a nasty crash on a Bultaco 370 Frontera that cost me about half of my right ankle. Who said that enduro racing was easy. Lol.

ec90t

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Americans have a history of coming out of the woods and spanking everybody.

Cordy Milne and Lammy Lamoreaux did it in Speedway, way back a half century ago, and Bruce Penhall did it again In the 80's. Eddie Lawson won a lot of World titles in the 80's, and who can forget King Kenny Roberts?

We just love to go fast. Nothing better than the smell of Blendzall on a Sunday afternoon (that stuff is still around).

Interesting. Thanks, Eric.

HM

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Neil,

I'll just bet that was an attention getter. Kinda fun seeing a race under the lights and it wasn't an endurance event.

HM,

I agree whole hardedly, but you left out one of the greatest racers from the US. Wayne Rainey won a couple of championships and was on his way to another when he had his crash in Italy that left him paralized. What made him so good was the fact that he was racing on motorcycles that definitely weren't the best at the time. He just kept his head down and got the job done!

When Wayne crashed out it handed, reluctanly, the championship to Kevin Schwantz.

ec90t

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

John,

I was trying not to bring up Fast Freddie. He had the benefit of Honda throwing an endless vault of money at the bike. Honda was tired of being beat up on at the time and spent whatever they had to to win. Kinda like Ferrari with Formula 1. I'm no fan of Spencer, but he did do one thing that'll never be done again win the 250cc and 500cc championship in the same year.

Wouldn't riding a moped around Laguna would be considered cruel and unusual punishment?

ec90t

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you had another moped to race with it might be OK. The Monza wall at Meadowdale would be more challenging.

HM

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

John,

You should have been here, in Indy, for the USGP. The flat track racing had the who's who of motorcycle racing in attendance. You couldn't fathom all of the greats that I ran into during the evening.

I did make it to Laguna for the GP. I even got to see the "worms" in the corkscrew.

I did get to see King Kenny race on the Indy mile when I was a youngster. I even got to see him ride the infamous TZ powered bike here at Indy.

I never got to see Mike "The Bike" Hailwood on a road course though.

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.