1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Weatherby Brass Re -Loading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FalconSprint, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Having never loaded any Weatherby rifle ammo before, I question if it's any different loading than other rifle brass? Since Weatherby uses a radius shoulder on the brass does it present any special proceedures? I'll be loading .257 Weatherby Magnum. And since I'm asking, does anyone shoot this round? What make, type, and weight bullet would be a good Whitetail round. My loading books show 64 grains of IMR 4350 for a 117 grain bullet as a factory duplication load @ about 3200 FPS, or 66 grains of IMR 4350 for the 100 grain bullet @ 3400 FPS. I would think either in a pointed soft point would do the job, depending on what the gun likes best. Factory loaded 100 grain Weatherby ammo loaded with I believe a Nosler bullet shot completely thru a doe @ 200 yards,(hit right behind the shoulder) leaving little blood trail. Pencil size hole on entry and exit, no expansion. She then ran over 60 yards. Was not impressed with the factory load. Thanks in advance for your information.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Do not use 4350. Unless you have some you want to get rid of. The proper powder for Weatherby magnums is IMR 7828. If you can't find good data, email me.

I like Sierra Game Kings, 100 grain. I would also use the Hornady # 2560 120 hollow point. Both bullets expand better than the factory. I think Ol'Roy wanted them for larger animals. I have some 100 grain Speer HP that fly excellent but have not shot any animals with them. I suspect they will have good results.

IF you really want to have fun wallop some marmots with the 87 grain ballistic tips at max velocity.

HM

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've had good accuracy and velocity results with the 115-grain Berger VLD and H1000 powder. I neck-size only since I only have one .257WBY, so I haven't encountered any resizing concerns.

Ed

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would use 100grain or 115 or 117 if long range is a possibility

You do want complete penetration for a zillion reasons beyond the scope of this discussion but you also want expansion

Ballistic Tips, Hornady platic tipped bullets or Barnes brass bullets

Now there is a lot of different weatherby brass out there- some made by remington and some made by other manufacturers

Because of that- dont assume that all brass can be reloaded the same- just not true- so stay away from maximum loads unless you work up

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Reloads just like any other brass or caliber. Get Ken Waters "pet load" reloading book, worth every penny!

If you have the money, rebarrel or rechamber, to get rid of the "freebore" you'll have a more accurate firearm if you do that.

There are so many powders out there now its best to try out different ones to find what works best for you and your firearm.

6. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

I use IMR 7828 with Hornady 100 gr SPT, it is the best all around bullet for deer size game, 120gr Speer Grandslam and Nosler Partition in 115gr worked the best for elk size game. This is based on my testing only,out of my gun. If you want speed and accuracy records i can look them up. I found the Ballistic Tip to" blow up on deer" and not penetrate. Again this is only out of my custom gun, your gun may provide different results.Joe

7. halfmile

Timberfaller, freebore is what Roy used to get that magic high velocity outof his guns. If you move the bullet out to the lands, you had better have a lot less powder in there. IMR cautions against deep setting bullits in their data manuals.

The slight reduction in accuracy is more than made up by the performance of high speed.

If you can hit a pie plate you can kill a deer. I personally never shoot rounds with bullets in the lands, because I like to see the guts fly when I hit a prairie dog.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

HM

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Walt Berger recommends seating his VLD bullets in the lands, too. I use a lot of Bergers but I shy away from seating them like that. I seat a bullet in an empty case so that it will just fit into the magazine. I then try it in the chamber and if needed, keep seating it a hair more each time until the bolt closes; then I adjust the die's seating stem down another half-turn. That method has always worked for me as far as accuracy is concerned.

Ed

9. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Halfmile,

My Weatherby is a custom one, it can handle the pressures.

The difference between factory and custom is you can do more and get more out of a custom then a factory.

I've seen the difference between Freebore and none, I'll take the results of none every day of the week.

I also expect my rifles to make one hole groups, pie plates are for shotguns.
    If they don't make one holes, they are worked over until they do.

just my $.02

10. halfmile

As stated, you pays your money and you takes your choice. I have just a standard Mark 5 with the bowling pin finish, and it shoots about between 1/2 and 3/4 with the 7828 loads. I compromise on the freebore with about 30 thousandths of jump, and no pressure signs so far.

A custom rifle with a tight neck and turning the brass to fit is definitely going to be more accurate. There is no end to the lengths you can go seeking the ever tighter group. For a lot of good info go to 6mmBR.com, lots of good info there.

With a barrel reamed to standard dimensions it's a crapshoot. I am definitely happy with mine that I got used in trade for a couple of cheaper guns.

HM

11. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Thanks one and all for your information. I will be loading some shortly.

12. Alaskamodel12

Alaskamodel12 TS Member

I have loaded .300 Weatherby and .257 Weatherby for years. I very much like the adjustable case gauges from Wilson for reloading belted brass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hornady 2560

what is the difference between norma brass and weatherby brass for a 300 weatherby