1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T We Survived

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tripod, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I survived my early twenties by getting drunk and chasing after girls in my new GTO. A lot of fun, but not very smart.

2. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

I remember hanging at the corner till 4am under the street lights and the neighbors keeping an eye on us. 20 years later (and 20 years ago) I recall showing my then 8 year old what the side of a milk container looked like because she was blonde haired, blue eyed and not allowed to sit at the street corner (the same one I used to sit at) after dark for fear of her being snatched. I did not want her picture on the next milk container. The neighborhood had changed that drastically in 20 years.

3. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Oh yes, 15cent hamburgers,Two longs and a short on the party line,butch wax,
    rockford socks,pop beads,feed sack dresses,Arthur Godfrey on the radio,Buster Brown,and set on the front porch at night and name all the cars going by,just by looking at the grill. Try that now.

Bo

4. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

The Sock Hops, After the game Dances, Ridding the one ways, Drag Races, Malt Shops, Root Beer Stands, And many, many more things that we did and were done. I'm a product of 1946. I remember things from the late 50's on through to the 70's. My first automobile (A car for those who don't know) was a 1959 chevrolet Impala with a 348 big block in it. Man could that thing go through gas. And it was fast to. Rebuilt the engin while I was at the NAS Helicopter Annex in Key West Fla. (1st. year of my Navy Days) Uncovered the machinery and cleaned off all the cosmolene grease (a heavy Grease) of the machenery in the machine shop in order to rebuild it. The machine shop was set up for the piston helos. The squadron I was with then was all twin engin jet helos. Twin engin HS9's. I believe. After we rebuilt the car it was unbeatable in Key West for the year I was there. Many tried but many lost. They would get me on the take off but when I got that baby wound up she was gone. I and the wife drove it home to Ill. Got about 7 Miles to a gallon out of it, and, we were pulling a small trailer besides. Had no problems taking it and the trailer up the mountains around Chatanooga Tenn. Except for the gas mileage. We had to wire home for extra money a couple of times because of the gas situation. My dad could not understand why we were going through so much gas. He thought we might have had a fuel leak until he seen and heard it. Rich. (inPeoria,Az.)

5. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Rich,thats great. How well I remember.
    My first car a 1936 Chev.
    Remember the suicide doors?
    I went to three stores the other day shopping.
    When I came home, I told the wife you know out of three stores, I never seen one kite.She looked at me as if to say how dam long you been in the bar.
    Kids today don't know what they are missing.
    No wonder they are over weight. It's watch TV or on the computer,how sad.

Bo

6. Janet

Janet TS Member

I really miss cars with the bright lights switch on the floor. Now why would they do away with such a convenient item?

I also had to be in when streetlights came on. We played outside all day and parents weren't expected to entertain us. We played, hide and seek, kick the can softball etc.,, in winter, hooked on to bumpers of cars for a snow ride and we survived? Yes we did. In summer, spent all day at the swimming pool.

Nowadays, I wouldn't let my grandaughter do all of these things alone, swimming,outside until dark, due to the way things have changed and it is not safe anymore.

I remember taking my one week old son with me to dentist with horrible toothache I had, holding him with one arm in the front seat and driving with other. Well some things have actually changed for the best, I guess. L.O.L.

7. jimx200

jimx200 TS Member

Janet, be careful...Nancy Pelosi or Hillary will hunt you down for child endangerment..lol. How I wish we could turn back the clock to the 60's-70's. Rode my motorcycle without a helmet (and survived 2 crashes), kept our front door unlocked, left the keys in the unlocked car, drive-in theaters (with the crackly single speaker), nuns/teachers that truly cared and would whack me as needed, The Beatles on Ed Sullivan, shows like Rat Patrol, Bonanza, Mayberry RFD, black/white tv's, Hardy Boy Mystery books, Boy Scouts, Marine dad (and former DI) who taught marksmanship with 22cal. rifles (never call it a gun), my heros...the Vietnam Vets, church on Sunday and everyone at the table (6 kids) for dinner, milkman that delivered to the door or right into our house to put it in the fridge (still remember my 4 sisters running for cover when he came in...lol), my oldest sisters girl friends coming over to wash our boat in their 2 piece bathing suits (good stuff when you're 14), 8-track Kraco stereo in the car, turkey shoots held in some farmers corn field where someone pulled a pipe to release the target, Remington 31TC's, wow...I am blessed.

8. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

Yea! Just like Archie and Edith Bunker said in there song!! "Those were the Days". Weenie Roasts, and roasting marshmelos. Water Mellon in the summer, Straw berries when they were ripe. Dozens and dozens of kids on the strees for Halloween Trick or Treating. Did the Drive In scene a lot. Forgot about that. Thanks for the memory of that. My wife, or I should say my girl at the time, and of course it was at night, we would go up on the grassey hill behind the Grade school just down the street from my parents home. It over looked the city. Could see for miles. And it was very romantic up there!
    There was a water tower that was up the hill a little farther and you could climb it and it made an even more beautiful scenic view of the city. If you were not scared of the hights or the climbing it was even more romantic. Took her up there one time in the evening and we had a picnic. We were up there late into the early morning. Rich. (inPeoria,Az.) P.S. Ah! Yes!! "Those Were The Days"

9. juniorshooter

juniorshooter TS Member

I love reading all the things that kids did in the "good ole days". But I have one problem with poking at todays kids. Who is raising the kids that grew up in the 90's and today? We all speak about how easy it is for them, but who is/was supplying this for them. I would say all the kids who grew up in the 50's and 60's are the parents that allowed this to happen. I am in my mid 20's and I am lucky that my parents made me grow up like they did in the 50's and 60's. JMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.