1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

o/t washing machine problems

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jackmitch, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

we have a maytag neptune washer that has been nothing but trouble for about 7 years. has anyone had good luck with another brand of front laod washer.its on the frits again, been waiting for parts for a week now. called the warranty center and they said it would probably be at least 10 days from order date to get new parts. due to prblems since new we have purchased extended warranty twice, agood investment considering the number of parts replaced over 7 years.

2. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

sounds like Kitchen Aid since it was it was bought out. Maytag was bought out too. Al of the brands are owned by 2 corps now. Quantity has gone down hill fast. Todd

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

actually they HAD to cast a new Maytag man...the old one died

4. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

So Biff do you wear a lot of brown colors now since Sheryl does the washing in the river.

What about the dryer did it quit also.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Foggy

5. msmith

msmith Member

This hits close to home. Last week I was in our local appliance parts shop (ap wagner) and I asked the parts guy a similiar question. He mentioned to stay away from the expensive front loaders (which I have) and go with a basic whirlpool or ge top loader. He said these new front loaders with all the bells and whistles are not as good as basic top loaders in the long run. He did mention that the whirlpool are still made in USA. Mike

6. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

My Son bought his front loaders at home depot and has been repaired and replaced so many times we lost track, Tony Stewart is on his way to fix them. LOL.. Allen

7. oletymer

oletymer Member

I have heard the same about Maytag. I have to admit that my Neptune washer at over 8 years has not had a problem, the dryer is 10 years old and no problems. I will check out Consumers before buying replacements.

8. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

We have a Whirlpool that's a little over 4 years old. The motor is dying and the repairmen told us these things are all designed to last 4-6 years now. We bought a new Whirpool top loader for delivery next week. I remember my parents having a washing machine for 15+ years. Looks liek we are going to have to deal with built-in obsolescence.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

wW did alot of research before buying our front loaders...asked every service guy we knew what to buy....everyone told us in no uncertain terms NOT to buy the Maytag Neptune!!...they all said to buy Whirlpool...so we did...couln't be happier!!...our old conventional Maytag laundry team had been bulletproof for 30+ years but seals and a transmission oil leak on the washer started us looking for new stuff...

10. cementman

cementman Member

Had a Maytag washer that lasted 15 years without a problem. Thing got old and instead of putting money into repair purchased a new Maytag because of the reliability of the first one. The new one is a piece of junk. In the last two years had repairman out three times fixing a drive motor each time. Was fortunate that it was covered under warranty each time. The last repair, end of 2006, was covered only after contact with Maytag after a lot of complaining with thier customer service department. Maytag refuses to listen to current problem with drive motor and in essence says "tough luck". Forget Maytag washers.

11. BP348

BP348 Active Member

I've had a Kennmore washer & Dryer for 8 years now. had one small problem with the washer cost less than $50 to fix.

I've been thinking about the whirlpool front load when ever I need a new set.

12. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

thanks for all the input, the humorous ones make us smile for a second or two then we remember the problem. as for the class action suit we were told we didnt qualify because we had extended the warranty so we bitched about that and they said they would refund the money for the warranty NOT. our dealer tried to get us a new machine and they said they wouldnt replace they would keep fixing it under warranty so we bought the warranty again. it expires in may. hope the machine lasts til then ha ha.we have replaced the lower computer 5 or 6 times the timer at least twice pump will be three times if we ever get the new one. the joke is we have a laundry basket full of replaced parts sitting near the machine along with some used parts i scavenged off my neighbors unit he junked none of the stuff i scavenged has gone bad since i got those parts. we bought maytag because we live in iowa and they were an iowa co. until whirlpool bought them.

13. Pat McKean

Pat McKean Active Member

I thought I'd seen and heard it all on here- until tonight.

I replaced our Neptune washing machine last weekend with a new top loader. The Neptune was 8 years old, and we were part of the class action lawsuit that resulted in the repairman coming out and working on it for a few hours and replacing the mildewed parts. That was about two years ago.

Over the eight years we had the thing, it probably saved us the extra cost in hot water we would have used with a conventional machine. We tried it and that was that.

I was tempted to just replace the punp motor, but I'm old enough to know not to throw good money after bad.

It was the Neptune washer that brought Maytag down. Their biggest competitor, Whirlpool, bought them out.

They'll probably be ok keeping the Maytag brand. The name is synomonous with washing machine.

I did get a nominal amount off the new machine as I'd purchased a number of appliances from the same local dealer. Don't patronize Home Depot- no service after the sale unless it's a 2x4 you're returning. Even the @$#%! lumber there isn't worth a dime. Just drive on by.

If Remington made a washing machine, I'd buy it.

Think global, shop local.

Pat McKean

Richmond, CA

14. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

All bull aside, front loader machines have problems. Had three different ones about fifteen years ago. I know things change but I will not own another one if I have a choice.

They leak at the door seal and a off balance load it can walk halfway to China or until the water line hose stops it. The door seal was a constant bother. I could get it fixed with a new seal. And it worked for a couple of months. Back then they were almost $100.00 each time they replaced it.

Today it may not be a problem and in water conservation areas it is a good thing I guess. But the cost of the extra expense of the machine will not pay for its self with water saved.

But it would wash those dirty AA hulls sparking clean!!!

Rock

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.